A theme called Lead [Updated to CbB 2021.12]

Canopus

I got some spare time during the pandemic and as a result I created a new theme. Continuing with the metal label convention this one is called “Lead”. When compared to my previous themes “Gran Vista” and “Carbon”, this one is flatter and maybe less obtrusive (some would perhaps say more modern). The blue highlights are fetched from my previous themes, while the gradient Control Bar background and buttons have been created from scratch (or actually using a new custom background layer in Photoshop). An overall goal has been to maintain contrast between buttons, text and background. And, of course, to make it look good. :)

kFKzhlb.png

One small detail: a feature that I think would work well in most themes is that the Loop, Selection and Punch buttons all have been given a colour accent that corresponds to the same area in Track view, i.e. yellow, green and red respectively. I will add this to the Gran Vista and Carbon themes as well the next time they need to be updated.

Oecqc5d.png

Download link:

I’ve made this theme for my own use, but in case anyone would like to use it you can download it from here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEeduVqWy0FPQFKe0?e=Jp6SkG

Release history:

For those interested, there's a release history that covers update information about all my themes. Here's a link to the that pdf document:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmXDCxaGb7JEdu3To6t7ZeQmmAo

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9
  • Great Idea 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking this - even more than my own Tungsten+ theme which I posted here!  My one "complaint" (which applies to virtually all the themes I've looked at) is that the PRV looks awful unless you change the background colours to pale - the Mercury ones are actually pretty perfect).

I also (and no fault of the theme) had to change a couple of the colours in Preference\Colours to work a little better - something like Marker colour doesn't come from the Theme but from the Preferences\Colours section.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

I'm really liking this - even more than my own Tungsten+ theme which I posted here!  My one "complaint" (which applies to virtually all the themes I've looked at) is that the PRV looks awful unless you change the background colours to pale - the Mercury ones are actually pretty perfect).

Well, it’s basically a dark theme so having a bright PRV inside might look unconventional. But changing that part of the theme shouldn’t be a problem for anyone seeing it as an issue.

Of course, I realize that you know how to do this, but for someone less familiar with modifying themes it’s simply a matter of opening the Theme Editor, load the Lead theme and then expand the node Piano Roll view in the treeview to the left. There are six sub-nodes located directly beneath representing modified colours, each identified by a colour palette icon and black text. For each of those six entries, right-click the node and select Remove. After saving, the dark PRV in the theme will have changed to look like the bright PRV in the default Mercury theme. These steps should work for most dark themes with small, if any, variations.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, Kevin Perry said:

Sapphire theme next then? 🙂

Ha! We'd need Steel, too. I wonder how many other Yanks got the reference. This thanks to Amazon Prime Video.

It was so great to see the two of them, and they're still in major roles in television. I was 15 when The New Avengers was syndicated in the US, and Purdey definitely made an impression.😍

The theme Lead has now been updated to support GUI modifications in CbB 2021.01, or more specifically the addition of four buttons to the Large size Select module. Personally I will however switch to the Medium size Select module so that everything will look as before to save some screen estate.

kb2cDwC.png

There are some additional changes as well:

• The Arm All Tracks button in the Control Bar’s Mix Module has previously been blue (as it is in Mercury). However, as the Arm button on each individual track is red, Arm All Tracks has now been made red as well for better consistency.
  • The meters in the Performance module have been changed from orange to blue to better match the theme’s overall appearance.

Ov6lWGb.png

• Unselected synths in the Synth Rack now have a dark background colour, as the previous blue highlight background for both selected and unselected synths may have been confusing.
  • The button in the Export module had a slightly incorrect back­ground in both large and small size. This has now been fixed.
  • The Freeze and Archive buttons didn’t exactly match the appearance of the other buttons in the Track module. This has now been fixed.

Download the theme from the link supplied in the first post.

• 2 months later...

The theme Lead has now been updated to support GUI modifications in CbB 2021.04, or more specifically the addition of a Tempo tab in the Inspector pane. As a consequence, all Inspector tabs have been resized in order to make room. This addition has also made all existing themes incompatible with CbB versions earlier than 2021.04, which means  that you should not install this theme until you have installed CbB 2021.04 EA or later.

JnUswcV.png

The theme can be downloaded from the link supplied in the first post.

• 4 weeks later...

A modification made to 2021.04 build 175 rendered the buttons in the Meter/Key view practically invisible in dark custom themes. This has now been fixed in the theme Lead. See below, before and after.

Wj53BIf.png

The theme can be downloaded from the links supplied in the first post. There you will also find a link to the release history.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Version history is empty...

The release history of Lead is included in the pdf linked to in the Gran Vista & Carbon theme thread, but of course I should have added a link in this thread as well. I have now expanded and restructured that document a bit to make its dual nature more obvious and also added a link in the OP of this thread. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...