Cakewalk screen turns foggy white and stops working

Steve Leighton

Question

This can be really frustrating. I'll be working in my DAW and for no real reason that I can pinpoint, the whole screen gets this white fogged over look and stops working. The little blue processor wheel keeps spinning.  I have to close the whole program down and it doesn't want to come back right away.

2 answers to this question

This will be an issue particular to your PC rather than an issue with Cakewalk itself.

Is everything updated?  What version of Windows and Cakewalk.  (numeral versions and build numbers?)

You have the Latest drivers? (visually checked with manufacturer's websites

What else have you tried so far?

15 hours ago, Steve Leighton said:

This can be really frustrating. I'll be working in my DAW and for no real reason that I can pinpoint, the whole screen gets this white fogged over look and stops working. The little blue processor wheel keeps spinning.  I have to close the whole program down and it doesn't want to come back right away.

And it says 'not responding' in the title bar, right? This means something either with drivers, plugins or Cakewalk has gone wrong and is in a loop that won't come out of. It is quite similar to a crash but the program doesn't end. It has happened  to me a few times. The only solution is to close Cakewalk and start again. Note though, that it does not mean the problem lies with Cakewalk. Cakewalk uses drivers and plugins coded by others that can do this. But in the end it's Cakewalk that's affected and the one that hangs.

This is one of the reason I save often and why I have setup the auto save feature to a relatively short period. It has saved me quite a few times.

There is a post on this forum on steps how to send memory dumps when Carewalk crashes or hangs to the developers. You may want to get acquainted with that and send them the data. They may solve your problem and everyone benefits.