My experience upgrading DAW hardware without disturbing Cakewalk installation

David Hardman

I thought I'd pass along some info on my recent DAW computer upgrade and some pointers to info that helped me in case it would help others. I essentially upgraded the motherboard, CPU and PSU and was able to keep my hard drives without having to reinstall Windows, Cakewalk, or plug-ins. If this is of interest to you, read on ...

The situation: My DAW computer had faithfully served me for a dozen years. Pretty amazing. Had many hardware and software upgrades over the years including memory, Intel Q6600 (core 2 Quad), SDDs, video cards, Windows 10 etc. The motherboard was the same ABIT AB9 Pro and really had been great, but the system was starting to be a bit sluggish. Interestingly, Cakewalk/Sonar had always been stable and still was performing well, but the general system was in need of an upgrade. I considered building a brand new DAW, but wondered if I could replace a small but important set of components that would allow me to continue to upgrade over time. I decided to replace the motherboard, CPU, memory and power supply. I kept the hard drives, video card and case.

The wish: Since I was keeping the hard drives, I wondered if I would just be able to hook them up to the new stuff and like magic everything would work and I wouldn't have to go back and reinstall all the software. Now, I know well that a clean install is preferred and has many benefits. I'm not debating that. For my own reasons, including keeping all the various plug-ins I had collected over time from various versions of CWPA, Sonar, etc., I wanted to see if I could do the hardware upgrade without having to reinstall the OS, apps, Cakewalk, plug-ins etc. Long story short, it worked and all is performing well.

Roadblocks and tips: It was fairly straightforward, but I did have to do a few things before and after to make sure that things were working and optimized.

Final outcome: I have a much faster DAW now with minimal effort in reinstalling software. YMMV and if you have the time, a clean install is likely best.  But if you decide to try this, I hope the above tips help.

Edited by David Hardman
sent too soon first time
  • Like 1

Wow - this is the first time I've heard of this type of surgery. Amazing that you were able to pull this off. I'm in a situation where I inherited a DAW from a family member that passed away. We both had pretty similar DAW set-ups and had a number of software packages duplicated. Our main DAWS of choice were different - but we both had a couple of common DAW packages. I was able to contact a couple of the software companies and able to change licensing on a few, but I don't have the capability to port over all licensing and I'm  feeling stuck with an older WIN7  install - even though it operates pretty efficiently and is robust. I have never held hope that I could possibly update hardware and OS software and come out unscathed. -  Your post gives me some hope - thanks.