Platinum 72

mark skinner

Here's an instrumental I finished up recently. I tagged it as ambient because of the midi backing and feel but it's mostly guitar.  I welcome any crits and suggestions  Thanks ..  markhttps://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/platinum-72    The link is now a remix with changes made from the comments and suggestions made below.  Any further suggestions are welcomed .   Thanks guys ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner
removed previous link
  • Like 2

the backing track sounds very similar to some tunes off of Bucketheads' album "Colma"

dig the guitar overdubs...

sometimes the pick sounds on multiple parts step on each other with the maracas, i think..

it only happens when everything piles up on each other.

i dig those parts at that moment, but collectively it does't work, as there's too much info going on at one time.

love the juxtaposition of the acoustic against the electric.

i think the bass could come up a snidge.

nice performances!

• Like 1

I listened on headphones, and I agree great guitar work on all those parts, it all connects into a whole. Plenty of groove! 

I found on headphones a kind of over fatness in the sub bass, maybe 100 hz? About as low as my headphones could go? Like there was a lot of energy down there that was robbing the highs of your mix a bit. I don't know what you could do with that observation . . . but there you go!  :)

I thought of the very excellent Chaquico / Hedges stuff - you have a great guitar musical sensibility.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm sure going to look up the different musicians everyone has mentioned.  To @emeraldsoulI'll look closer at the lows , there's a lot of 808 drums and samples in it. To @batsbrew the lead guitar was added Last after I thought it was sounding repetitive. I just put it in on top of everything instead of taking time to mix it in properly.  It was conflicting with a couple of tracks, I corrected it and it  sounds so much better now. I also boosted the bass . Great call! The comment "collectively it doesn't work" was Perfect.  I'll re post after everyone has had a chance to weigh in .   Thanks ...   mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, batsbrew said:

pick sounds on multiple parts step on each other with the maracas

I don't know if what I'm hearing is either, but there is a "clicking" sound, maybe one of the 808 percussion sounds?
I don't find it very "pleasing", but certainly not a "deal breaker"; lovely tune, really enjoyed it!

t

• Like 1

I like the overall vibe and groove of the tune, is there parts of the mix that could be improved, is there not always something that just a tweak here or there could perhaps make a difference probably.  I liked anyway thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1