Under African Skies

steve@baselines.com

5 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed this, the ld. vocal has a kind of Simon quality to it.  Maybe the bv's a tad over the lead in the verses? hard to tell. I'm on laptop but sounded good overall, nice production too.

Thank you!  And you are correct.  Whenever I sing I have a tendency to disguise it with other vocals because I don't have a lot of confidence in my voice.  I fixed it up now based on your suggestion, and I also boosted the slap bass part a bit.

I found myself liking the bass, the ocassional fretless sweep up into a note, and the way it was a taut and not mushy tone. Well done!

I think the mix holds up really well, I'd only echo the comment that your lead vocal could be louder, particularly when in tandem with your talented female bgv.

I also wanted this tune to kick into that wonderful doubletime that some Graceland (actually African! )songs do, but I guess this one is just mellower. It's a great mix and an ambitious song choice, well done!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, emeraldsoul said:

I found myself liking the bass, the ocassional fretless sweep up into a note, and the way it was a taut and not mushy tone. Well done!

I think the mix holds up really well, I'd only echo the comment that your lead vocal could be louder, particularly when in tandem with your talented female bgv.

I also wanted this tune to kick into that wonderful doubletime that some Graceland (actually African! )songs do, but I guess this one is just mellower. It's a great mix and an ambitious song choice, well done!

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom - thank you for all your comments!

Steve

Well done!  I love that guitar work that is panned left.  It has that sound that often appears in the songs of Rokia Traore.  I have tried to duplicate that sound but have failed miserably.  You managed to capture that rhythmic push that is inherent in most west African music.  The vocals sounded great.  Well done indeed!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freddy j said:

Well done!  I love that guitar work that is panned left.  It has that sound that often appears in the songs of Rokia Traore.  I have tried to duplicate that sound but have failed miserably.  You managed to capture that rhythmic push that is inherent in most west African music.  The vocals sounded great.  Well done indeed!!

Thank you for the kind words Freddy.  I used the THU American Classics pack with the Compressed Arpeggio settings.  I also put it through the room reverb R4 (From izotope) Large Hall, Fat Vintage Hall setting.

Steve