Aren't sound/music supposed to be similar for both before and after freeze synth

Lummy Keen

Question

Dear All, 

Good day. 

If my understanding is correct, the purpose of freezing synth is to convert it to audio, therefore without requiring PC to re calculate those MIDI. 

however, recently I notice it sounds different after I unfreeze eg. it sounds louder and the music is a bit different. 

Could there be anything wrong that I did? 

Thank you all. 

Edited by Lum Tham

6 answers to this question

There is a thing about the fx when you freeze/unfreeze. No personal experience of it.

To convert to audio, select the MIDI track and the synth track and then Tracks -> Bounce to tracks. Then you can mute those tracks. When all tracks are audio, then you can create a new project and import all the audio tracks.

If you right click the Freeze button there are a couple of options for the freezing process.  Make sure the fx is selected . Mine always sounds the same after freezing. Fx and pro channel get embedded. You may wan't to tick the Slow Bounce button if any of your plugins or soft synth instruments don't like the fast bounce.

If the synth audio is mono (track interleave setting), then a freeze adds about +3dB. In the case the loudness was too hot if may even distort caused by clipping. So just keep that in mind! It is also interesting that changing the interleave from stereo to mono (unfrozen track), then the loudness level increases already +3dB, i.e. after freezing it is +6dB louder!

With stereo synths there may only be a difference if FX has been included in the freeze (as mentioned above) or if the synth values have been changed.

• Like 1

Thanks to all your reply.

And it does sound a little different, and it is not a mono track. I have no FX in the track. I dont think i did change the synth value, because synth value could not be changed when a track is freezed.

To ensure it sounds the same, can i try the workaround of recording sound before unfreeze into a new audio track? e.g. inserting a new audio track, and record the sound before unfreeze into this new audio track . But i have problem recording it...do i need to mute my Mic?

Many thanks