Feature Request: auto-undo on aborted take

John Bradley

Here's the situation: I'm in Comp Recording mode, and I've got an auto punch in/out region set up. If I screw up somewhere in the middle of the take I hit SPACE to abort the recording and rewind the transport to start point. This leaves a partial take behind which I would (almost) never want, and all my old takes are now split at the end point of the aborted take; also undesirable.

What I'd like: If I stop recording before the end of the autopunch region, I'd like the new take automatically deleted ('undo') but left in the history so I could 'redo' to bring it back if I really did want it for some reason.

Make it a user-setting buried in Advanced Settings or wherever ("Keep aborted takes") for folks who prefer the current behavior. Or keep the current behavior as the default and give me a "Delete aborted takes" setting somewhere. Either is good.

That depends on when the take lane was created.

If the take lane was created before recording then it is not part of the undo operation, only the recording is undone.

The key combination SPACE then CTRL+z and r will

• stop the transport (this will rewind if configured to do so otherwise CTRL+SPACE is the stop and rewind shortcut)
  • undo the most recent operation (this will be the current recording and take lane if the lane was created during recording otherwise it will just be the recorded clip, either way it will heal previously recorded tracks)
  • and start recording

3 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Here's the situation: I'm in Comp Recording mode, and I've got an auto punch in/out region set up. If I screw up somewhere in the middle of the take I hit SPACE to abort the recording and rewind the transport to start point. This leaves a partial take behind which I would (almost) never want, and all my old takes are now split at the end point of the aborted take; also undesirable.

What I'd like: If I stop recording before the end of the autopunch region, I'd like the new take automatically deleted ('undo') but left in the history so I could 'redo' to bring it back if I really did want it for some reason.

Make it a user-setting buried in Advanced Settings or wherever ("Keep aborted takes") for folks who prefer the current behavior. Or keep the current behavior as the default and give me a "Delete aborted takes" setting somewhere. Either is good.

Semi-serious/joking question, but given you're looping (I think), isn't it just about impossible to stop at anywhere other than at the end of the autopunch region?  ie. you'll pretty much always have the last take deleted?  I'm not arguing about the request - and I think the auto-splitting is an...odd approach to take - but this does seemn to be a gotcha?

There was a key combination in the past in Sonar, not sure what was it exactly (Shift+Spacebar maybe) to delete the last recorded take without even stopping the engine. Is it no more today?

Obviously the history wouldn't keep the 'undo' in that case, I assume, but the wave file could be still present in the Audio Data folder until closing Cakewalk.

Edited by chris.r

5 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Semi-serious/joking question, but given you're looping (I think), isn't it just about impossible to stop at anywhere other than at the end of the autopunch region?  ie. you'll pretty much always have the last take deleted?  I'm not arguing about the request - and I think the auto-splitting is an...odd approach to take - but this does seemn to be a gotcha?

No, I'm not looping. I've got a region I want to record marked out with autopunch, and I've got the Now marker positioned a couple bars before the punch region. Hit 'R' to record, and if I make it all the way through adequately, hit space to stop and rewind, ready to listen to the last take and/or record another. Or hit space to stop somewhere in the middle if the take is blown, followed by ctrl-Z, a sip of coffee, and hit R again.

If I were looping with an autopunch region set, as per my use-case, then one would either have the loop points extend further than the autopunch region, and hit space after passing the end of the autopunch but before looping back into the autopunch region again. On the other hand, if you have the loop set to the same points as the autopunch, yeah, you're always going to get one more (incomplete) take than you want... which you'd want to delete (and not have the other takes split oddly).

Point being, if you have an autopunch region set up, and you stop recording before you get to the end of the region, that's probably not something you want to keep. But not definitely, hence an "auto undo that last take" with the option of 'redo' if the aborted take was useful in some way. But most of the time, it's not; that's why you aborted it in the first place.

Makes sense - I work similar to how you do (no looping) but haven't seen this, so it's probably some subtlety in recording mode or similar.  I'm going to check out how it behaves for me now...