Take These Eyes- Scandalous Grace

michaelhanson

Here is a second new song by Scandalous Grace that we are finishing up the production.   All recommendations and comments are welcome.  This one was written by me a while back and I have made a few changes, additions and turned this into a band song.  

Performed by Scandalous Grace
Words & Mu­sic: Michael Hanson
Sean Peifer: BG Vox, Electric Rhythm, Guitar Solos.
Michael Hanson: Lead Vocal, Bass, Acoustic Guitars, Drum Programming, Mixing and mastering.
Reece Bain  (Beagle): Keys and BGVs.

• Like 1

I liked this one Micheal. The message caused me to reflect. Undoubtedly I often don't measure up in my actions. I think it's a good message for Christians.

To me the tempo seemed to drag slightly . Has a Tom Petty kind of vibe to my ears concerning the music.  The only other thing I would say is  the whole thing seems to be locked a little too tightly to the grid....not sure how it could be "loosened up" at this point or if you had even considered it. 

Just my thoughts. Congrats! Nice work.

Douglas- Thank you for listening and commenting.  This song seems to have come together really well.  I would love to find a station that would play the song.  We have one local connection in Dallas that tends to play very old Christian music, but I may send them a copy anyway,  seeing as they played one of our songs on rotation for several months, a while back.  

Thank you for listening and your comments.

Starise- Nice to hear from you as well!  The lyrics to this song are very personal and I struggle with them myself.  Every time I have listened to the song over the years, it has made me reflect.  

Yes, the Petty reference to my style has come up very often.  Sean, upon hearing the final mixes commented to the band that it sounds very Beetle-ish, as well.   I will take those two comparisons any day.  Both Reece and Sean have added so much to the song and I am grateful to have them as friends and partners.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:28 PM, michaelhanson said:

Danny- So nice to see your name pop up on my thread, it has made my day.  I hope your doing well, brother!  You said little, but it spoke volumes to me.  

These days less said is more unless there are blatant issues. I don't hear anything that bothers me. Another thing I tend to do now is I listen for what YOU presented, not what I feel it should be in MY image, understand?

Commenting on stuff like this is so subjective, who cares how *I* would do it? It's about YOU and how YOU did it, ya know? Trust me, if I hear something for you to fix, I'll always mention what it is and how to fix it.

The only thing that sort of offset me a bit is the lone guitar to the left in the beginning to the middle until more instruments join in. It sort of made the mix sound a bit lopsided to me because there was nothing in the right like the dominant acoustic to the left. It did eventually even out, but I don't know if I like it like that. It just seems like the right side is missing something for a bit. But it's still good because you built up the mix gradually.

I'm weird with stuff like that. Like some of the old Beatles mixes annoyed me with their panning. The thing with them though, they always had a ton of stuff filling everything up. But other than that, this was really good man.

One other thing that I just heard. Some of the vocal harmonies seemed to land on the same notes....like you guys may have been unsure of what they may have been. It can be quite challenging not to land on each other, trust me, I know! 😃

Edited by Danny
  • Like 1

Loved the lyrics.   Sounds great on my infinity speakers.  I wish I could get my recordings to be as present and loud as you have it here.  the drums sound esp good.  There's only one God, I wish everyone knew that. peace.  DEsire and wish fulfilment always get in the way  (from you-know-who)

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:37 PM, Danny said:

These days less said is more unless there are blatant issues. I don't hear anything that bothers me. Another thing I tend to do now is I listen for what YOU presented, not what I feel it should be in MY image, understand?

Commenting on stuff like this is so subjective, who cares how *I* would do it? It's about YOU and how YOU did it, ya know? Trust me, if I hear something for you to fix, I'll always mention what it is and how to fix it.

The only thing that sort of offset me a bit is the lone guitar to the left in the beginning to the middle until more instruments join in. It sort of made the mix sound a bit lopsided to me because there was nothing in the right like the dominant acoustic to the left. It did eventually even out, but I don't know if I like it like that. It just seems like the right side is missing something for a bit. But it's still good because you built up the mix gradually.

I'm weird with stuff like that. Like some of the old Beatles mixes annoyed me with their panning. The thing with them though, they always had a ton of stuff filling everything up. But other than that, this was really good man.

One other thing that I just heard. Some of the vocal harmonies seemed to land on the same notes....like you guys may have been unsure of what they may have been. It can be quite challenging not to land on each other, trust me, I know! 😃

Danny- Thank you for elaborating more on your thoughts on this song, much appreciated.  I understand what you mean by the lone acoustic at the beginning.  I guess I was going for something really intimate, just me and my acoustic to start off the song.   The plan was to gradually bring everyone else into the song, as it progresses, so hopefully that worked out.   I agree, that some of those Beatles mixes are really annoying.   😀   I know that it was directly attributed to the limited number of tracks they had to work with and the times.

David- Thank you for listening and commenting.  I'm glad you like the lyrics, these were quite personal to me.  Mixing skills have taken me decades to learn, I finally feel like I kind of get it.  

Wookie- May the Force be with you.  I'm always pleased that you listen and comment even though I know this style of music is not your thing.  

Nice tune! I thought the lead vocal could have a bit more midrange added back to it, it's kind of eq;d on the bright side and sounds a bit thin maybe in spots. The bgv's really are a good add, they blend well and support the lead.

At :54 your panned rhythm guitar strums are not in sync? I dunno, might be worth a check.

Good luck with getting this one more air time, that would be very cool!

cheers,

Tom

On 8/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Nice tune! I thought the lead vocal could have a bit more midrange added back to it, it's kind of eq;d on the bright side and sounds a bit thin maybe in spots. The bgv's really are a good add, they blend well and support the lead.

At :54 your panned rhythm guitar strums are not in sync? I dunno, might be worth a check.

Good luck with getting this one more air time, that would be very cool!

cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom!  so glad you brought your suggestions to the table!  always a pleasure hearing your perspective!  thanks!

and a shout out to Danny as well from me!  so glad you joined in the band of merry listeners!  thanks for your comments and suggestions, as Mike said always a pleasure to hear from you!

thanks also to David, Wookiee, Tim and Douglas.  this was a pleasure to help Mike on this song bring it to it's current glory!

agreed, it may drag a tad, but that brings it a character of it's own as well

thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

Loved the acoustic/electric guitar interplay. 

For a balllad the drums seem a little to dry for my (personal) taste.

Vocals sound very present which they should be for this type of song.

Overall, great job.