• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Changelog here: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

Some very good new 3rd party content:

Content

New patches from Jacky Ligon, many highlighting new features in 1.7

New patches from Dan Mauer

New patches from Psiome Send

Third party patches better organized and classified.

New dark skin:

Surge Synth - New Skin.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

Thanks for mentioning this. I took a look at Surge a few months back as I was interested in its joint synth/FX processor capacity. Ultimately I decided it didn't afford the flexibility I had with another synth/FX processor I have been using for ages.  But, Surge's design appealed to me; worth keeping an eye on for new developments! (And I do like sliders!!!!)

• Like 1

A freebie that I might actually use now.  I forgot that I even had the old version because for some reason it had greyed out on my vst menu and I didn't even notice as the old UI meant that I was never really drawn to it anyway. The new UI is much better. Still not what I'd call sexy or anything but hey it's free, so I'll turn the lights down low, have a beer or two and let the old beer goggles do their work.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paulo said:

A freebie that I might actually use now.  I forgot that I even had the old version because for some reason it had greyed out on my vst menu and I didn't even notice as the old UI meant that I was never really drawn to it anyway. The new UI is much better. Still not what I'd call sexy or anything but hey it's free, so I'll turn the lights down low, have a beer or two and let the old beer goggles do their work.

Don't forget to check out the new 3rd party presets! Some of them are excellent, and show off the capability of this synth!

Especially those by Jacky Ligon.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Can anyone get the "SurgeEffectsBank VST3" to do anything in CbB?  I've installed it, it appears in the right folder, but doesn't get picked up as a VST in CbB (check the registry, not just CbB).

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

Can anyone get the "SurgeEffectsBank VST3" to do anything in CbB?  I've installed it, it appears in the right folder, but doesn't get picked up as a VST in CbB (check the registry, not just CbB).

Update: One malware tool said the installer was OK.  Another tool said it had malware and deleted it. Web browser claims it is dangerous.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to report on problems trying to install 1.70; (1) it didn't get installed earlier.

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Update: One malware tool said the installer was OK.  Another tool said it had malware and deleted it. Web browser claims it is dangerous.

Take a look at the VirusTotal website. It seems that there may be a small number of false positives... you can submit the installer and see the results of scans for 60-70 AV scanners...

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abacab said:

Take a look at the VirusTotal website. It seems that there may be a small number of false positives... you can submit the installer and see the results of scans for 60-70 AV scanners...

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

I did this yesterday. Very handy service!!!!!!

Three packages flagged it as having malware. Oddly enough, only one flagged the 7-29-2020 nightly as having malware.  None flagged it as being a false positive, just "undetected."  I sent the nightly from yesterday in to to one of my AV packages to be tested.  

If it is indeed a false positive, those flagging it need to fix it--JMO.

More upsetting to me was that Windows 10's Failed Update of about 2 weeks ago changed my Windows Security setting and failed to set it back to what I had.

EDIT:  Now there are 4 that flag 1.70; still just one (the same one) on the nightly.  Also, I just got the reply to my submission and the nightly comes back as clean.  They have added it to their database.  🙂 

EDIT 2: I just reported the 1.70 release (non-nightly) to the anti-malware software that refuses to let me install it and asked them to double check.  If it is indeed a false positive, they should fix it!!! (JMO)

Edited by User 905133
to add an updates
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

For what its worth, I just ran scook's handy VST Inventory Tool after I installed the 7-29-2020 nightly and then ran Cakewalk. I know almost nothing about how installers work (or don't work), but the lack of file size and Cakewalk's inability to find the bank lead me to believe it was not installed (i.e., not a Cakewalk issue). 

image.thumb.png.74dd73abe8ccee70e8d1fd66b37a108e.png

image.png.abb5b52e8e3b116157a650c98098d13d.png

Edited by User 905133

The VST Inventory tool gets its data from the CbB VST Inventory in the registry.

This inventory is built by the CbB VST scanner.

There is no attempt by the VST Inventory Tool to validate the data, that is the scanner's job.

The SurgeEffectsBank VST3 in the image shows a pretty old version number and my guess is the file is not part of the current distribution. For a nightly build, it seems strange the version reported on the Surge VST2/3 plug-ins is older than the current production release. Also note Surge VST3 lacks a size. On my install the production version shows a size for this plug-ins.

I thought the SurgeEffectsBank was provided for DAWs not supporting Surge as an FX.

While the documentation claims Surge does not work as an effect in CbB, I have been able to use it in that capacity for some time. I tried asking the developer what did not work but never got a reply. My guess is this part of the documentation needs an update.

Of course, this does nothing for those who depend on the SurgeEffectsBank plug-in but now may be a good time to stop using the dedicated effects plug-ins and use Surge instead.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, scook said:

The menu in the bottom right of the UI

I know but where in the menu?

I checked the UI and it only says this (picture below)

And also yes Its updated becausthe new patches are in there

20200731_104125.jpg