track and send bus question

Bassfaceus

hello all 

ive seen lots of youtube clips about this but i just dont get it..

i can set up a bus and use that as an effects send..i understand that  but,,,

what i want to do is send all of my guitar tracks to a send and runs some eq and fx over them.

from what i can gather this is different to just sending them to any old bus

is this right?

what is the best way to do what i need?

dumb ,i know

thanks

If you need the same effect(s) with the same settings done in the same amount on all of your guitar tracks -- that is, you want to treat the guitar submix as a single track for effecting purposes, then have all your guitar tracks Output to a guitar bus and put the effects there (in the FX Bin).

On the other hand, if you want to apply the same effects with the same settings, but to varying amounts (example: less reverb on the rhythm guitars), create an aux track per effect, and have each of the guitar tracks have a Send going to each of those aux tracks. Then for mixing purposes you'll probably want to have the Output of all the guitar tracks and the aux tracks holding the guitar effects all going to a single Guitar Bus. (Or maybe two: I typically go with a 'lead guitar' bus, and an 'all other guitars' bus.)

And of course, if you want the same effects but with different settings, or different effects altogether on your separate guitar tracks, just stick said effects in the FX Bins on the tracks.

What you want to do is create a bus (name it GitFX or whatever makes sense to you) and in the send module of each track, select that bus, and control how much of the signal you want to send to that FX bus with the rotary dial. You can add reverb or whatever FX you want in the GitFX bus’s FX bin. The FX bus will be routed to the master bus by default.

thanks for the replies maybe im misrepresenting myself..

lets say  i have 5 channels of drums eg kik snr hats and rak1/2

i have eq ed them and put fx on the individually ...

now i want to send them to a bus so that i can control

volume and put more comp or eq over all the drum trax

what i dont want is the former individual trax to be audible

except thru the bus channel..i know i was reading somewhere once that this was

an often done thing in multi track recording

18 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

If you need the same effect(s) with the same settings done in the same amount on all of your guitar tracks -- that is, you want to treat the guitar submix as a single track for effecting purposes, then have all your guitar tracks Output to a guitar bus and put the effects there (in the FX Bin).

@Bassfaceus This is what John Bradley is describing.  What you want is a drum submix.  First create a new buss and call it 'Drums' or whatever you want. The output of this buss will automatically go to your Master buss but you can route it anywhere, I would just leave it there. Now go to your individual drum tracks (kik, snare etc) and set their outputs to the 'Drums' buss you just created. Now all drum components will be going to this buss where you can adjust overall volume and apply buss effects. It can be confusing because people use different names to describe the same thing, eg. aux, sub, buss etc. Another alternative is to use a Patch Point. When using Busses for a submix (in the Track View, I have no experience with the Console View) you cannot have your drum submix adjacent to your individual tracks because Busses must remain in the Buss Pane. For this you could use a Patch Point. Their are various methods of creating Patch Points but I will describe how I do it. First insert an audio track next to your drum tracks. Name the track 'Drums' or whatever you want. for the output select 'Master' or a drum buss if you have one created.  For the input choose 'New Patch Point'. This will make this audio track a Patch Point that will be called 'Patch Point 1'.  To change the Patch Point name click again on the input and go to 'Patch Point 1' and a submenu will appear where you can choose to rename, Call it 'Drums' or whatever you want. Now go to the individual tracks for your drums and change the output to the 'Drums' Patch Point you just created. You can do this all at once by selecting all the drum tracks and holding Ctrl while changing the output of one of the selected tracks. Now all your individual drums will be routed to your Patch Point, adjacent to your individual drum tracks, where you can adjust overall volume and apply effects. Good Luck!

ok i think im finally getting it..

2 things....

i have successfully created the drum bass and assigned all my separate drum tracks and it is working properly...

but, is it my imagination or does this newly created drum bus sound ever so slightly different than the individual trax?

i mainly perceive a difference in the stereo/pan field...it seems a little narrower?

also  what is the purpose of the AUX track ( vs  a bus )..how does one typically use it?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

ok i think im finally getting it..

2 things....

i have successfully created the drum bass and assigned all my separate drum tracks and it is working properly...

but, is it my imagination or does this newly created drum bus sound ever so slightly different than the individual trax?

i mainly perceive a difference in the stereo/pan field...it seems a little narrower?

also  what is the purpose of the AUX track ( vs  a bus )..how does one typically use it?

Thanks

You should hear exactly the same stereo mix through the drum buss. Make sure the output of your drum buss is going to the master buss. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the interleave of your drum buss was set to mono? However I think that would be unlikely. 

An AUX track is essentially the same as a buss, but used in a different way. Say you have one reverb effect that you want many different elements of your mix to go to in different amounts. Instead of using various instances of the same reverb plugin on multiple tracks you can use one instance and send different amounts from various tracks by using sends to an AUX track. First create a buss and call it 'Reverb'. Then choose a reverb effect and place it in the effect bin. Now go to a track, eg snare, and right click in an empty area in it's track header, then hover the mouse over 'Insert Send' and choose the 'Reverb' buss you just created. You have created a send which will feed the snare audio to the reverb, you can adjust the amount of reverb with the 'Send Level' slider.  AUX tracks are used for many other effects like delays, parallel compression or distortion, basically any effect you want to blend with the original signal. 

So in actuality an Aux is a Buss. I think the confusion lies in terminology, what you are actually comparing is an Aux track to  a Subgroup. The individual tracks that feed an Aux buss do so via their sends. The individual tracks that feed a Subgroup buss do so via their outputs.