Build A Wall - remixed on 1/1/19

Lynn Wilson

Hello to everyone here at the new forum.  I've been out of commission for a while due to a leg injury which kept me out of the studio and unable to record until recently.  I can't tell you how much I'd been itching to get back in front of my computer to write some new songs and use some of my new toys.  In this song I used Superior Drummer 3 for the first time, and I ran my bass guitar through Midi Guitar 2, triggering a bass sample from Dimension Pro, something I'd never tried before.  It's a song about your favorite narcissist, and can be found here:  https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/build-a-wall-80486

12/28:  I replaced the Soundcloud version with an update to my Bandlab version which can be found in the link above.

Edited by Lynn Wilson
updated version
  • Like 2

Sorry about the link.  I replaced it in my original post, but here it is: https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/build-a-wall-80486

Bjorn, I was wondering about the volume of the vocals.   I will soon do a remix and repost it here.  In the meantime, I have another project to learn.

Skyline_UK, thanks for listening and your kind words.

Remixed 12/28.  I replaced the Soundcloud file with the Bandlab version above.

Edited by Lynn Wilson
updated version

Duuuude! Full Joe Walsh mode! Waay fun. Sorry to have you gone so long, glad you are back.

I'm still getting used to the Bandlab ecosystem. First up, your song came right out of the gate LOUD cause the Bandlab player was maxxed from the get go. And I suspect your tune had plenty of volume.

I really like your vocals, and of course, the lyrics. Fly that flag, bro. 

I don't know about you, but did you hear the less-than-seamless edits, for example 2:32 - seems like you cut and pasted in a song section and maybe missed the rhythm a little - or was that courtesy of the Bandlab upload process? Hard to tell. I'm sure you'll get on top of it.

I would also vote for a vocals-up mix, and I think you have room to decrease volume on that piano. Said a piano player :)

More Lynn songs are always a good thing to my ears.

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, thanks for the useful suggestions.  I took your advise and lowered the piano and raised the vocals.  I also took some of the mud out of the slide guitar.  As for the edit, it's hard to tell.  I don't quite hear it on this end, however, this is the first time I ever uploaded a 16/44.1 wave file to the internet so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  It can be found here:  https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/build-a-wall-80486

p.s.-I'm not sure if the preview is working or not.  I just tried it and got no response as to whether this link works or not.

Good song, Lynn. In fact, if you didn't tell us what the subject matter is I wouldn't have known, at least for the first two minutes. I think you ought to do a minor rewrite and sing it to a selfish lover. More universal appeal😎

The drums are very distracting to me, all that fiddling around on the hi hat. The guitars are heavy. I would make the drums equally heavy -- big hard snare on the 2 and 4 The slide sounds great, but it steps on your excellent vocal occasionally. I'd give it a supporting role through most of the song, and then a verse of its own somewhere in the middle, or in the fade. And -- I'm not sure about this -- does the whole thing sound a little top heavy to you? I was wanting to hear more bass and kick.

I think you've got hold of something really powerful here!

Hi Lynn, good song with convincing vocal and guitar performances. Another vote to push the vocals up a little, piano down a little.  My main crit is the drums, I was waiting for a solid backbeat to hit and drive the song along but it never came, that made the verses seem a bit 'sticky' to me.

I got some very good suggestions here, so I remixed it this morning with new drum parts in the verses.  I took Larry's idea of putting the snare on 2 & 4 which definitely helped.  Very easy to do in SD3.  I pushed the vocals up a notch and lowered the piano a tad.  I posted this in mp3 format on Soundcloud, so take that into account, please.  Thanks to Larry, Daryl, James, and Wookie for your ears!

12/28:  I replaced the Soundcloud version with a new mix on Bandlab which is here:  https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/build-a-wall-80486

Edited by Lynn Wilson

Definitely a better version, Lynn, tho I think the vocal could come up even more to catch the lyrics better. But that could be a problem with my ears (just ask my wife)

More drums would be good and some more harmonica too.  I liked the background vocal, but it was too left and then too right in the stereo field.

Sorry about losing this post.  I'm uploading a new mix to Bandlab, as Soundclick free doesn't allow me to replace a file easily.  I'll be back in a few minutes with a new version.

OK, here is the newest mix using all your suggestions:  https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/build-a-wall-80486

I turned the vocals, drums, and harmonica up.  Bjorn, the backup vocal is just the lead vocal doubled and panned 20R.

Dan, thank you for your kind words and time.

Kevin, I took your suggestion.  Thanks!

Larry, more drums!

Will, thanks for taking the time.  I looked up your references because I'd heard of them but wasn't that familiar with their ideas.  They are all vastly more talented thinkers than the moron that inspired my song (my uncle Albert).  Anyway, though the lyrics may not appeal to you, I applaud you for wanting to hear them better.  I hope this latest mix helps.

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Will Hackett said:

For a guy who grew-up on Samuel Johnson, GK Chesterton, and Russell Kirk, the lyrics didn't appeal to me, but I liked the music. I still think the vox could be a little louder.

Yeah but none of those guys could play slide guitar.