Nimbus Nonsense??

Recently I had a large project I was mixing (tons of plugs, etc...) and every time I tried to export it to the desktop SPLAT would freeze and my speakers would start squealing and the only way (or so I thought) to get it to stop was to use the task manager to end SPLAT.  After several attempts I just started turning things off one at a time on the master and other busses  to see if I could locate the culprit...which I did.  It was Nimbus from exponential audio, a recent cheap acquirement.  Nimbus replaced I had no more problem exporting the mix.  Too bad as it's a nice verb...but, of course, I've got eleventy jillion others so no prob.  Anyone else had problems with this little jewel??

Thing is, though, Steve, there are these folks who show up with crash-y issues who for heaven knows what reason are actually still using SONAR, as in, SONAR. I saw a hapless feller a couple of weeks ago seeking help with SONAR PE of all things. How he could make it as far as registering an account to get on the forum and not realize that he could have the equivalent of a supercharged version of SONAR Professional for free....

This baffles me. There's even offline validation now, for the people who don't want to have to go online and have Microsoft update-bombing their DAW's. Anyone who has any kind of concerns about CbB can (and should, for all the premium content) keep SONAR on their system in case they want to revert.

Given the incredible volume of bugfixes and enhancements the  code has gone through since the program changed  names, including not a small bit of messing about in the plug-in department having to do with handling of interleave and other things, if someone's having a tech issue and calls it "SONAR" or "SPlat" or whatever, that question's gonna be asked.

Also, they're going to get me rah-rahing them about how they're missing out on 2 1/2 years of development and significant new features like the Arranger and the Take Lanes/Smart Tool overhaul. Comping and editing is so much more versatile now. I would hate to have to go back to CbB 2018.

• Like 2

Steve, ol' pal, this is what eventually happens when you've become an obsessive plugin collector. One day, everything just goes to sh*t. There ought to be a support group or something.

As a codependent friend, though, I have to ask: have you tried FabFilter's Pro-R? Duh. What am I saying? Of course you have. I just thought of it because Pro-R is what I turn to when I want the reverb to dissolve unobtrusively into the mix. 

Yeah, I got that. is it happening for you, too?

iZotope Exponential is one of my favorite lines of FX and I'd hate for there to be any issues. I snagged Phoenix when PB had it on sale for $10 and it was a literal jaw-dropper. If it had nothing but the default setting it would still be the best reverb I've ever used.

I've seen similar screechy weirdness (but with a different trigger) with Acon Multiply in VST3 form, so I just use the VST2. When I brought it up, it was suggested that I contact Acon, and I haven't gotten around to it. It seems to be specific to VST3's that  can do mono in and stereo out, like choruses and reverbs.

@Steve Patrick, just to get it to work, and for characterization purposes, have you tried switching VST3/VST2? Is it just in that one project with the tons o'pluggies or does it happen with smaller projects as well?

When I first got PhoenixVerb, R4 & Excalibur they all worked fine. I started getting this feedback loop in a Splat. before the Gibson transition. It can happen in all 3. I emailed Michael Carnes about it back then but he couldn't find any problem.

I have a feeling this might be caused by opening & working on older Cakewalk projects which I do.

I had that same problem with Muliply too. Whenever I have a plugin problem the first thing I try is swapping out VST2/ 3 versions. (Boz plugins have a similar problem in Cubase)

On 7/29/2020 at 1:58 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

I have a feeling this might be caused by opening & working on older Cakewalk projects which I do.

I'm considering buying R4. Are you saying there aren't any problems with new projects in Cakewalk? Thx

We got the "feedback when rendering problem" here as late as today using R4 (excellent sounding reverb), I´ve experienced it earlier too & solved it by lowering the reverb level - which meant a bit more work on the mix.

Today we got the idea, since it only occurs during export, to try realtime export (i.e. not "fast bounce") - which worked fine without having to change anything else.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, chris.r said:

I'm considering buying R4. Are you saying there aren't any problems with new projects in Cakewalk? Thx

I can't reproduce this issue with certainty & haven't been doing many new projects using CbB lately. I do check my buses every-time because as I said in many it also makes them mono. I get that more than the feedback problem.

I would still get R4. It's excellent & by far one of the top "Natural' reverbs available.

• Like 1