So Where's Bandlab Cakewalk Anniversary Mac Edition?

Royal Yaksman

8 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Never going to happen🙃 

Do you think a company like Bandlab would be happy to offer a product that ignores their Mac users? It is of course all just speculation, but my thoughts are that as soon as the purchase went through, a team of coders were hired to build a Mac version from scratch. Sure they wouldn't likely advertise it. But consider what Bandlab are attempting to do with these products. To me it doesn't make sense to not be building a Mac version and that is coming from someone who does not have a Mac and would not ever buy one.

I just cannot see that a company like this would be happy to essentially say: "Hey Mac users please use our online service, but if you want deeper editing from us you are going to have to buy a windows machine."

Another thing to take into consideration is that this is not the Gibson days anymore. The original Sonar on Mac thing failed because of lack of demand, financial pressure and an inability to have a product in development with an elastic runway for release. Bandlab on the other hand have the time, money and they also have a demand as they have a raft of Mac users utilising their products daily.

I'm sorry I just don't see the point.  Mac users are what about 5% and Apple has Logic at a very low price plus Garageband too that is iOS. Apple is valued at over a trillion $. How will Bandlab even remotely compete.  So far there seems to only be a few coders at Cakewalk in Boston.  Now I can see Bandlab expanding Bandlab part  more into the iPad market. Would make more sense that way.  It takes a lot of work to build a functional DAW.  Tracktion Waveform has a Mac version and most complain that it not as stable as the Windows version.  MOTU made a Windows version of Digital Performer and took several versions 4-5 years to get it up to the Mac version on stability.  I think I would rather have Bandlab make Cakewalk DAW the best Windows DAW on the planet IMHO :)

12 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I'm sorry I just don't see the point.  Mac users are what about 5% and Apple has Logic at a very low price plus Garageband too that is iOS. Apple is valued at over a trillion $. How will Bandlab even remotely compete.  So far there seems to only be a few coders at Cakewalk in Boston.  Now I can see Bandlab expanding Bandlab part  more into the iPad market. Would make more sense that way.  It takes a lot of work to build a functional DAW.  Tracktion Waveform has a Mac version and most complain that it not as stable as the Windows version.  MOTU made a Windows version of Digital Performer and took several versions 4-5 years to get it up to the Mac version on stability.  I think I would rather have Bandlab make Cakewalk DAW the best Windows DAW on the planet IMHO :)

I agree that a Mac version of Cakewalk would likely lag in stability by comparison. All DAWs that were windows first and then create a Mac version suffer from this to some degree.

It's interesting that you mention Mac is only a small percentage of the computer market. Because whilst that is true, what are the figures of Mac vs PC specifically in relation to DAWs? As many musicians and producers still hold to the mantra of "must have a Mac for music production."

DAW users are a niché to begin with and specialty operation equipment is sought by the users preference. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in terms of music production, that the two platforms might be closer in useage than the total useage of their machines for all computing purposes. For example, there has always seemed like a relatively even number of Mac and PC users on many music/gear/software forums. Except for Cake and Samplitude.😉

I know Logic is a Mac behemoth but surely free beats $200 every time for low budget DIYers? And as for taking up resources, a dedicated Mac team, completely separate from the Windows team would be utilized in an endeavor such as this. So it wouldn't impede anything on the Windows side of the house.

• scook locked this topic

There is no point in having this discussion here. There is no Cakewalk Anniversary Mac Edition. AFAIK, there are no plans for one. There is a thread requesting a Mac version in the feedback loop area. If you wish to continue this discussion, please do so over there.

• Like 2