Mohanakalyani Thillana - Indian Raaga

jwnicholson78

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. I hope every is staying safe and healthy.

I finally got a chance to to do some recording. Mohanakalyani Thillana
is a famous Indian Raaga. I've always loved it, my wife and I played it
at our wedding, and I've always wanted to make my own version.

I'd love to know what people think. Thanks in advance for the listen.

Mohanakalyani Thillana

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 1

This is pretty great! I like the glitch background stuff, and cool when the tablas come in!

Anything that grooves this hard is a winner in my book!

at 2:06, you could add some cool hand claps on the two and four. Just an unasked-for idea!

guitars have a great tone and the harmony phrasing of your guitars is very spot on!  I'd say it all works a treat.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

This is pretty great! I like the glitch background stuff, and cool when the tablas come in!

Anything that grooves this hard is a winner in my book!

at 2:06, you could add some cool hand claps on the two and four. Just an unasked-for idea!

guitars have a great tone and the harmony phrasing of your guitars is very spot on!  I'd say it all works a treat.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks, Tom.   That's a good suggestion for the claps.  I will try that out.

Actually, the percussion is a mridangam.  It's not as well known as the tabla.    This song comes from the south of India, where they use different drums than the north, and the mridangam is common.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Love the guitar and mridangam (never knew what a mridangam was before this).
I like the song quite a lot but to me it got a bit repetitive after a while.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think you have a point.  I may have to do a little bit of trimming.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, emeraldsoul said:

guitars have a great tone

I'm always envious of great "clean" tone, if I could nail Wilsey's Wicked Game tone; I'd never look back!
This is from a guy that loves an amp that drives like a fine Italian sports car...

👍

t

I know I say this all too often, but it only takes a minute to drop a like for a brother over at YouTube; just sayin'...

(just shaming?) 🙄

Edited by DeeringAmps
added comment
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'm always envious of great "clean" tone, if I could nail Wilsey's Wicked Game tone; I'd never look back!
This is from a guy that loves an amp that drives like a fine Italian sports car...

👍

t

I know I say this all too often, but it only takes a minute to drop a like for a brother over at YouTube; just sayin'...

(just shaming?) 🙄

For what it's worth, I can't take much credit for the guitar tone.  It's basically a preset in Guitar Rig, that I tweaked a little bit.

Thanks for the listen!

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Interesting interpretation of a Raaga, what did you use for Tabla? mix works well here on the Adam's, nice guitar tones.

Thanks so much!  It's actually a mrindangam, not a tabla.  It's from the south of India.  I used the Native Instruments India vst.

• Thanks 1