Cakewalk only allows one track of TriplePlay

KSband

If I add more than one track of TriplePlay midi guitar it won't open the new track's instrument, it says TriplePlay is already running in another track.  I contacted Fishman about it and they said talk to Cakewalk because it's not one of the daws they support. Is there a setting that could cause this?

That sounds like a Fishman issue to me. Sounds like they don't allow 2 instances of "TriplePlay" to be opened.

Isn't Triple Play a midi controller for guitar? If it is then it seems like you would just set it up like a midi input device and then set the tracks input to receive from the Triple Play.  Is that what you are doing?

Maybe someone else who actually has the Triple Play can respond

It's a midi controller but it has it's own software that gives you a lot more control over your sensitivities and dynamics. I add a track and the tripleplay plugin is loaded like any other synth ,  in the plugin I then open any keyboard/synth plugin that I have.  I can just use it as a controller without the tripleplay plugin but I lose the extra control.

Does the TriplePlay plug-in have the ability to send MIDI data?

The option is in the VST2/3 drop down above the plug-in UI.

M9I2IRu.png

If so, the plug-in may be used to drive multiple synths using one instance of the TriplePlay plug-in by adding the synths to the project instead of loading them in the TriplePlay plug-in and setting the inputs on the synth tracks to the TriplePlay plug-in.

Forgive my ignorance of midi, after I record a track with tripleplay could I just change the track synth from "tripleplay" to whatever synth I was using in the tripleplay host and then create a new track with tripleplay to record the next track etc?

I found this on another site from a developer of TriplePlay. It is from 2013 so I am not sure if it still applies

There is a third option: run your VST as normal (not inside the TP VST) just as you did in option 2 above, and then on another track use the TP VST to set up the Controller. To do this you can load the "Hardware Synth" patch in the TP VST - this does not load any VST's but does allow you to change all the parameters in the Controller.

The option 2 referenced in this quote is

You can simply use the FTP controller as a MIDI input source.  This gets around ALL limitations listed above, namely, you can feed 64-bit VSTs and within SONAR you can of course use the "SONAR only" VSTs, as they are running in SONAR.  What you lose in this mode is the additional "patch level" processing.   There are two FTP modes for doing this.  In "Normal" mode, all these notes share the same channel, and the FTP operates in Chromatic mode.  No wheel events are sent.  In "Hardware" mode (power up the controller holding the D-pad UP button), the strings have discreet channels and the FTP is no longer in Chromatic mode - wheel events are sent.   FTP's "hardware" mode corresponds to Roland's "Mono" mode, and is clearly preferred for this type of processing.

1 hour ago, kurt soderquist said:

Forgive my ignorance of midi, after I record a track with tripleplay could I just change the track synth from "tripleplay" to whatever synth I was using in the tripleplay host and then create a new track with tripleplay to record the next track etc?

Yes. When you add a VST to Triple Play add a copy to Track Pane at same time. When done recording, route that MIDI track to the VST, add a new MIDI track that is pointed to Triple Play, add new VSTs, record, etc.

This is not very much different from having multiple copies of Triple Play and recording to each instance one after the other.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

2 hours ago, kurt soderquist said:

I just tried this, just changed the synth to the same one I used in the host and it works just fine.  I think this will be an easy way for me to do this. Thanks for all the help.