Download Stems

jpMixo

Hello,  When I try to "Download Stems" from the Bandlab Mixer / Bandlab website library / Bandlab Assistant  the download says it's preparing or the dialog box appears to be downloading        but it never happens . . . . .  The Bandlab project never appears in Documents/Bandlab/Downloads.

Why am I not able to Download Stems?       I have the most currently updated Windows 10 / Chrome browser / Bandlab assistant 6.0.

Running Bandlab Assistant as Administrator also does not allow the Stems to download.

John P

IMG_7683.jpg

Edited by jpMixo

Your question appears to be about one of the functions of the BandLab online DAW, while this forum is for discussing Cakewalk, BandLab's Windows-only standalone DAW that's descended from SONAR.

Some few people here use both of them, but you'll probably get better help in a forum dedicated to discussion of the browser-based DAW.

The only advice I can give is....since you're running a Windows 10 system, if you feel like you get to the point with BandLab's (reportedly excellent) online DAW where you want to make the jump to a pro desktop type, use BandLab Assistant to download and install Cakewalk and see what you think.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, jpMixo said:

Hello,  When I try to "Download Stems" from the Bandlab Mixer / Bandlab website library / Bandlab Assistant  the download says it's preparing or the dialog box appears to be downloading        but it never happens . . . . .  The Bandlab project never appears in Documents/Bandlab/Downloads.

Why am I not able to Download Stems?       I have the most currently updated Windows 10 / Chrome browser / Bandlab assistant 6.0.

Running Bandlab Assistant as Administrator also does not allow the Stems to download.

I agree with the following:

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Your question appears to be about one of the functions of the BandLab online DAW, while this forum is for discussing Cakewalk, BandLab's Windows-only standalone DAW that's descended from SONAR.

That being said, on my long-term to do list is figuring out possible options I might be able to use for collaborations based on exporting and import between Cakewalk (the Windows program) and Bandlab (the on-line browser program).  I am not even a novice as I have tested things in Bandlab less than a handful of times. However, I like to learn (at a snail's pace) by trying out what I see others doing (or trying to do).  So, I tried to figure out how to download stems. 

I logged into my Bandlab [not Cakewalk] account, dragged some of the free drum loops into two tracks and saved the project.  As always (in my experience) the online file IO/rendering process took longer than I expected (or am used to with PC software).  Then I did a few things--taking a lunch break and a lawn-work break while the on-line app seemed to just sit there and do nothing.  

Eventually, I downloaded my two short test tracks (41.1 seconds) as stems. (BTW, I learned to be impatient with reading and writing files on a Commodore 64.)

image.thumb.png.2956f5e8c79ccdf68b301ea4179723b3.png  I have no idea how long it took to "prepare" the stems. That was during my lunch break.

image.png.b006001a44df2b25a05ab960884013a0.png  I have no idea how long the files sat there ready to download. That was during my lawn work break.

But once I clicked the download buttons, my browser downloaded them quickly.    image.png.dff7bfcc562938310f3a6bda908a265b.png

Again, I wouldn't even say I rise to the novice level with Bandlab and cannot offer any advice.  But having used your issue to teach myself a new step in the process, I thought I'd share in case something in my experience helps you on your quest.  From what I have seen, I like the potential of social networking/collaboration Bandlab offers.  

• Like 1

The OP had good luck indeed. This is a really  helpful online community.

Maybe it's kind of a sideways "good sign," maybe the BandLab servers are having trouble keeping up with demand. If that's the case, I hope they get it sorted quickly. But then again, maybe most of the BandLab DAW users keep it "in the box."

I see a lot of potential in their collaboration model, too, and I look forward to more seamless Cakewalk integration.

A friend of mine recently bought a used iPad with the idea that he could use Garage Band, and was despondent that Apple were app-blocking him from installing it, despite the fact that his is running iOS 12.X. I suggested he try BandLab, and it didn't quite get through at first (people love their Apple ecosystem), but now he's forgotten all about Garage Band.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Thank you for responding!  I've enjoyed  Cakewalk since the early 90's. I started with Cakewalk 8.0.  I love the program.  And now the fully functional desktop version is simply fantastic!  The Bandlab web component is a ton of fun.  It's a Global collaboration thing.   Recording enthusiasts from Italy, Russia, Finland . . . . everywhere.  I can record using the online Bandlab DAW (which has an impressive sample library)  but Cakewalk Desktop is a much more powerful DAW . . . . . . So, the feature exists to grab the project, (download the stems) work on it in Cakewalk desktop, then re upload it so others can add to the project.   However, for some unknown reason the stems do not download.  See the 1700 page Cakewalk user manual. . . . . Page 95 #4 is not working on my PC.  

Bandlab is a social media website similar to Facebook but your page is an accumulation of recordings you've made or collaborated on.  You can develop the recording project with invited musicians in a private area before publishing to the Feed.

Another fun thing about the Bandlab website is that they also provide thousands of template recordings under the "Inspire" link.  Fully royalty free.  You simply download their starter song and you take it / change it and do what ever with it.  It's great fun, a cool exercise. 

Still no luck in "downloading stems"  This means I have to go into the online DAW and download each track individually, import them into a new project I've created in Cakewalk.  It should be a one click here's your project folder . . . . 

Again, Thank you for responding,

On 7/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Some few people here use both of them, but you'll probably get better help in a forum dedicated to discussion of the browser-based DAW.

The only advice I can give is....since you're running a Windows 10 system, if you feel like you get to the point with BandLab's (reportedly excellent) online DAW where you want to make the jump to a pro desktop type, use BandLab Assistant to download and install Cakewalk and see what you think.

Good luck!

Wow, of all the people I've seen, you are so far the most enthusiastic user of BandLab's complete ecosystem, and I really, really hope you check in the forum from time to time.

I suspect you probably have a lot of wisdom to share with people who might want to start using more of those features.

10 hours ago, jpMixo said:

So, the feature exists to grab the project, (download the stems) work on it in Cakewalk desktop, then re upload it so others can add to the project.   However, for some unknown reason the stems do not download.  See the 1700 page Cakewalk user manual. . . . . Page 95 #4 is not working on my PC.

I have page open right now, and there is a http link on it to the Feedback Loop subforum, so that you may call it to the attention of the CbB developers.

Post over there, and emphasize that you are trying to use the full ecosystem, so that people like me will know that it's a Cakewalk/BandLab interoperability issue, that your goal is to import a .BLX file into CbB and BandLab Assistant isn't delivering the .BLX file as it's supposed to.

Cakewalk/BandLab interoperability is still, as described on that page, a Preview Feature. Not yet release status, and that goes for the server side components as well, so the developers need to know if you're hitting snags.