Dust off the CAL brain cells for a question, please

Robert Bone

Howdy - I have a little CAL script that I wrote, and it works.  I see the note event note numbers change, when I view the selected track's Event List.

Please note, thst it has been a good number of years, since I worked with CAL scripts, and that portion of my brain has become arctic permafrost.

I created a little Step Sequencer MIDI data.

Brought that clip into focus.

Ran my little CAL script, which dutifully changed two of the MIDI note event note numbers, to a different note number.

I see the changes in the event list.

I opened/viewed the Step Sequencer data - it shows the original unchanged note numbers.

So why do I not see the changes in the Step Sequencer data, when I view that, after  I run the CAL script?

Do I have to bounce the Step Sequencer data to a clip, before running the CAL script?

Bob Bone

6 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Do I have to bounce the Step Sequencer data to a clip, before running the CAL script?

That or change the MIDI editor indicator on the clip(s) to something other than the step sequencer

I have no direct information about what is going on but I here is my guess.

The step sequencer came well after CAL was deprecated. There is a conversion process for creating step sequencer clips from MIDI clips. Chances are the step sequencer data is stored in a different part of the project file that CAL does not know about.

16 hours ago, scook said:

That or change the MIDI editor indicator on the clip(s) to something other than the step sequencer

I have no direct information about what is going on but I here is my guess.

The step sequencer came well after CAL was deprecated. There is a conversion process for creating step sequencer clips from MIDI clips. Chances are the step sequencer data is stored in a different part of the project file that CAL does not know about.

Thanks, earlier today, I found I needed to bounce to clip(s), and then my CAL script would properly replace the old note numbered entered, with the new note number entered, for all occurrences of the old note number in the selected MIDI data.

Since I have more drum editing to do, I did the Bounce to Clip on each set of Step Sequencer data, then ran my CAL script, and then went back to convert each bounced clip back to Step Sequencer data/clip. I edit drum data in Step Sequencer, so that is why did it this way.  :)

Bob Bone