Fix for latency?

Erik Putrycz

Latency has but two sources.

• Audio Interface
  • Latent Plugins

Use a dedicated audio interface that has a proper ASIO driver. 

If you've inserted latent plugin/s anywhere in a project, all other audio is delayed by that amount to maintain sample-accurate sync (Automatic Plugin Delay Compensation).  If you're using latent plugins in series, the latency can pile up quickly.

It helps when posting about this type of issue to include the audio interface used,  audio driver buffer size and driver mode.

But since the problem is project specific, it is likely an issue with plug-in delay compensation. To see if PDC is the issue, click the FX button in the Mix Module or type "E" to bypass all plug-ins. If the latency goes away, it is plug-in related. While reading about the FX button, take a minute to read about the PDC button.

18 hours ago, scook said:

since the problem is project specific, it is likely an issue with plug-in delay compensation

This. With me, it's usually "turn off the iZotopes." If I'm using Neutron or Ozone anywhere, they induce hecka delay. There are others as well, but in my plug-in collection, it seems that the iZotope suites are the biggest offenders.

If you want to narrow it down, you can go through and disable them one by one until you find the culprit. You can make educated guesses; the heavier the processing, usually the more likely it is that the plug-in is going to induce some extra latency. The iZotope suites are 4 processors in one wrapper, so no surprise there.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:59 AM, Erik Putrycz said:

I have an insane latency in certain projects... Almost 3-5 seconds from a midi note to a VSTi sound... Have not been able to figure out the cause but haven't seen anything similar in other daws with similar setups. Any chances this could get looked at someday?

Things to do:

1.) Lower your ASIO buffer to 64 or WDM slider all the way down to its lowest latency setting in the preference menu.

2.) Make sure your dedicated audio interface has the most updated drivers for your windows operating system. If you are using the on-board sound chip, back off as it might blow!!!     ---   -----  --- Just kidding, or am i?????  ...                   But those sound chips are not meant for these things.

3.) Make sure you are not inserting and using plugin effects that are not meant for live monitoring and have hidden buffers, so they can process the signal better. These types of plugin effects are meant to be used in the mixing and mastering stage.

4.) Your PC just doesn't cut it (MOBO or processor power lacks)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 7:42 AM, CJ Jacobson said:

Things to do:

1.) Lower your ASIO buffer to 64 or WDM slider all the way down to its lowest latency setting in the preference menu.

2.) Make sure your dedicated audio interface has the most updated drivers for your windows operating system. If you are using the on-board sound chip, back off as it might blow!!!     ---   -----  --- Just kidding, or am i?????  ...                   But those sound chips are not meant for these things.

3.) Make sure you are not inserting and using plugin effects that are not meant for live monitoring and have hidden buffers, so they can process the signal better. These types of plugin effects are meant to be used in the mixing and mastering stage.

4.) Your PC just doesn't cut it (MOBO or processor power lacks)

Thanks but 1) done, 2) done, 4) ryzen 7 no lack of cpu power

This issue has nothing to do with ASIO buffer - even with a low ASIO buffer I have a crazy latency in some projects.

IMO: 

1) Sonar is missing a plugin performance summary - there is no way to identify culprits

2) Something could be better in the PDC processing. Same setup/plugins in Studio One give me super low latency - in Sonar it is like the latency cumulates through all the channels. I think the cause might be compressors with PDC on all channels (again no way to check) but the way the PDC builds it chain, channels are not running in parallel...

Archive (don't just mute) any other unnecessary tracks while you are recording, especially those with a lot of effects.  I do a rough reference mix to play/record along with and archive everything else.  That avoids the built-in latency imparted by many effects (except the ones you want to monitor through) and frees up your processor so you can dial down to the lowest ASIO buffer setting without getting clicks and pops.

• Thanks 1

Are you using any look-ahead plugins ?

Linear Phase plugins can introduce latency of 1 to 2 secs, depending on how far ahead they need to look.

If you are using them, you can turn off the PDC if you need to do any tracking.

But any plugins that have to look ahead aren't really designed whilst your still tracking - they're for mixing only.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, Erik Putrycz said:

Thanks but 1) done, 2) done, 4) ryzen 7 no lack of cpu power

This issue has nothing to do with ASIO buffer - even with a low ASIO buffer I have a crazy latency in some projects.

IMO: 

1) Sonar is missing a plugin performance summary - there is no way to identify culprits

2) Something could be better in the PDC processing. Same setup/plugins in Studio One give me super low latency - in Sonar it is like the latency cumulates through all the channels. I think the cause might be compressors with PDC on all channels (again no way to check) but the way the PDC builds it chain, channels are not running in parallel...

Yes, CbB/Sonar engine is what it is. It does not support "ahead" audio processing like some other DAWs (Studio One, REAPER, etc.). So turn off PDC compensation (special button) and leave with consequences or do not use corresponding plug-ins during recording. No other workarounds. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:34 PM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I have absolutely got to turn off my wifi and above all, kill the antivirus before I even open any audio programs!!! When my Windows 10 antivirus is turned on my latency has to be upwards around 512 even on ASIO drivers!! With the antivirus off I can run the same large project at 128 to 170!!!

This practice helped but not eliminated latency.  Still looking...

I really struggle with this as well, due to using so many vst insts. This thread is really great, so much helpful info in here. I need to remember to turn off look-ahead plugins except in mastering, like the LP 64. I'll have to look into the PDC thing. 

Many 'likes' to everyone on this thread! The tips here should really help me out.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2019 at 7:31 AM, Starship Krupa said:

This. With me, it's usually "turn off the iZotopes." If I'm using Neutron or Ozone anywhere, they induce hecka delay. There are others as well, but in my plug-in collection, it seems that the iZotope suites are the biggest offenders.

If you want to narrow it down, you can go through and disable them one by one until you find the culprit. You can make educated guesses; the heavier the processing, usually the more likely it is that the plug-in is going to induce some extra latency. The iZotope suites are 4 processors in one wrapper, so no surprise there.

100% agree!  Dreadful inducers of latency.  I also have stopped using FabFilter products for the same reason.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:34 AM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I have absolutely got to turn off my wifi and above all, kill the antivirus before I even open any audio programs!!! When my Windows 10 antivirus is turned on my latency has to be upwards around 512 even on ASIO drivers!! With the antivirus off I can run the same large project at 128 to 170!!!

Hm.  I use Eset Nod32 Anti Virus and will try that.  Thanks.