[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.07 Early Access

When it happens, it happens like this:

1. Select a section in the Arranger inspector

2. Right-mouse click on the section

3. Select "Rename"

4. In the text box that appears type in the new name

5. Try to dismiss the dialog either with the return key, tabbing out or clicking elsewhere to change focus. 

At this point, no matter where you click on the UI, the textbox retains focus and you get the familiar "ding" sound notification from windows letting you know that you're doing something wrong. 

Again, this doesn't happen often, but once it does, you have to restart the app.

Edited by Kevin Walsh

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Kevin Walsh use any service like dropbox or google to upload your file and share a link with us via PM.

Noel, do I need to zip up the entire project folder or is the project file sufficient? I would think the former but just want to be sure.

Update: PM sent with an upload location for the project

Edited by Kevin Walsh

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@jsg - You shouldn't have to set a section type to rename or set color.  Are you sure you're not confusing the set color dialog with the edit section type dialog?

The edit section type dialog will not disappear until the fields are valid.  In fact, unless you're going to be using arranger templates there's absolutely no reason to set a section type at all.

To rename, select the section and press F2 or select rename from the context menu.

To set color, right click and select the color from the presets or click the ellipses to get the color dialog:

rename_change_color.gif

The color dialog is Microsoft's built-int color chooser dialog - it's part of the operating system. There shouldn't be anything buggy with it, otherwise it'd be affecting all applications.

Thanks msmcleod,

I'm just learning the Arranger section so it may be user-error.  I am figuring it out...

Jerry

On 8/2/2020 at 3:37 AM, sreams said:

I ran into an issue a couple of times today. I was zoomed in on the timeline to find an audible glitch in a waveform. I then pressed play. Playback started, and of course, the fully zoomed-in timeline is scrolling by very quickly at this point. All expected... but Cakewalk stopped responding to all inputs at this point. I could not stop playback by pressing the spacebar or the stop button on my control surface. I could not change the zoom level. Playback would just continue and eventually Cakewalk would respond to key presses from 15-20 seconds prior. This is on a Ryzen 3900x system.

@sreams check your PM. I'd like you to do a test with a build that should address this issue.
If anyone else had this same issue reproducibly and would like to test a build, PM me.

I don't know if this issue is unique to the early adopter release, but here it is anyway. I'm trying to increase the gain of a clip in a small area, but after applying the new gain automation, the waveform view shows the wrong area being increased. If I bounce it to a clip it becomes apparent that the correct area of the clip was modified and that the waveform view was incorrect. Here's a video of the draw edit. You'll have to take my word for it that the gain is actually increased in the correct place. ;)

8 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I don't know if this issue is unique to the early adopter release, but here it is anyway. I'm trying to increase the gain of a clip in a small area, but after applying the new gain automation, the waveform view shows the wrong area being increased. If I bounce it to a clip it becomes apparent that the correct area of the clip was modified and that the waveform view was incorrect. Here's a video of the draw edit. You'll have to take my word for it that the gain is actually increased in the correct place. ;)

Hi Kevin,

Looks like this is an issue with there being a "Jump" (the dotted line rather than solid) between the node you drew and the one where the envelope resumes. I went ahead and logged that to fix when we get a chance, but if you right-click the dotted part and switch it to "linear" or any other shape, it should draw correctly. Thanks!

I've been abusing 08 all day and it is definitely  feeling good. 
I know we touched on this before but what was the verdict about setting the now time using ANY    tool as long as you click on a blank area of the track(s)? It's a tad time-consuming to be using for instance the    eraser to clean tracks but you have to keep going up to the ruler to set a new now time.

Edited by Ludwig Bouwer

On 7/27/2020 at 11:18 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Michael Heavner we asked you for a project file to forward to waves but did not hear back.  they need that for further investigation. Can you please supply us a link to the project file?

I believe Waves hasn't supported the "free" the Studio Rack since v8 or v9 when development stopped, it had always been problematic, all listed in their Support FAQ, and no they won't respond to any unsupported/outdated products any more then Bandlab will support SONAR 6 PE. 😉

• Like 1

I've been running 2020.07 fairly hard for over a week now, with no issues.

I was about to report an annoying issue with 2020.05 about getting a "CANNOT FIND FILE" dialog box after freezing Synth tracks, which was weird because I didn't notice any files missing, nor did it have any noticeable effect. 🤷🏼‍♂️

However that hasn't happen with 2020.07 

Edited by Steev

On 8/2/2020 at 8:31 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@sreamsInteresting. I wonder if it is so busy redrawing that it's not getting a chance to process the stop request. Can you reproduce this or was it a one off issue?

I just saw this issue happen twice yesterday, but in the latest official release (rather than the Access/Beta).  So it seems like the issue may have been there already, though it’s an interesting coincidence that it just happened to me.

I was zoomed in quite a lot in the track view, and with the gain envelope showing.  After pressing play, my requests to stop were ignored for about 15 seconds.  The screen was not responsive though it did continue scrolling in the timeline as well as playing back perfectly fine.

58 minutes ago, Variousartist said:

I just saw this issue happen twice yesterday, but in the latest official release (rather than the Access/Beta).  So it seems like the issue may have been there already, though it’s an interesting coincidence that it just happened to me.

I was zoomed in quite a lot in the track view, and with the gain envelope showing.  After pressing play, my requests to stop were ignored for about 15 seconds.  The screen was not responsive though it did continue scrolling in the timeline as well as playing back perfectly fine.

@Variousartist this should be fixed in the final release. Several testers have already confirmed that its ok now. 
I've optimized the code so that it will throttle back and consume less UI bandwidth freeing up processing of input messages.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

@Kevin Walsh - We've identified the issue here, and it has been fixed for the main release.  The issue only seemed to appear when there were "jumps" (gaps) in the envelope. 

On 8/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

When it happens, it happens like this:

1. Select a section in the Arranger inspector

2. Right-mouse click on the section

3. Select "Rename"

4. In the text box that appears type in the new name

5. Try to dismiss the dialog either with the return key, tabbing out or clicking elsewhere to change focus. 

At this point, no matter where you click on the UI, the textbox retains focus and you get the familiar "ding" sound notification from windows letting you know that you're doing something wrong. 

Again, this doesn't happen often, but once it does, you have to restart the app.

@Kevin Walsh - we've not been able to reproduce this, however we've added some preventative measures in the code for the main release to try to prevent this from happening.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Hi Kevin,

Looks like this is an issue with there being a "Jump" (the dotted line rather than solid) between the node you drew and the one where the envelope resumes. I went ahead and logged that to fix when we get a chance, but if you right-click the dotted part and switch it to "linear" or any other shape, it should draw correctly. Thanks!

I have many tracks with multiple "jumps" in them.  Is there any way to fix them other than to do them one at a time? Is there an automatic way to rebuild the Envelope?

I have been a user and fan of cakewalk for about 20 years, since then I worked with him in my studio and never thought of migrating to another program.  congratulations on this fantastic DAW.  I'm using the new version of early access and I'm really enjoying it again.  Something I could suggest would be: the return of V-Vocal, I think it sounds much more natural than that of melodyne, the new plugins may have a slightly larger interface, because they were very small, the tool to stretch a take that was ctrl +  mouse u did not find, and the shortcut to turn off all plugins to which I was already used, in the new version, I did not find it anymore.  Thank you in advance for your attention.

Traduzido do português pelo Google tradutor.