[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.07 Early Access

2 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks for the reports. BTW please keep in mind that this thread is primarily to discuss any issues or regressions directly related to the 2020.07 early access and not to make feature requests or post general bug reports. Please use a different thread to report other issues.

Hi Noel

Thanks for answering.

Regarding the freeze bug, it is present on the actual official release, and on the Early Access release, so I think it is relevant to this thread.

Regarding the External Insert fix request, I have posted about it in the Feedback forum more than twenty days ago (July 11), and it has not been addressed by any staff member yet. Since this is also present in the Early Access release, it may also be relevant to this thread.

Abiding by your answer, I will also post this report to the Feedback forum.

Hope both issues can be addressed and fixed.

Again, thanks.

As I said these thread is to report issues with the Early Access release so it should be used to report issues that are NEW to this release or its features rather than preexisting issues. We are of course interested in knowing about those as well but post them in the other more general forum. The external insert issue is not a bug - its a feature request and will be handled in due course. We have a backlog of many items so its normal for some things to take many months to be considered or addressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kc23 said:

Hi Noel

Thanks for answering.

Regarding the freeze bug, it is present on the actual official release, and on the Early Access release, so I think it is relevant to this thread.

Regarding the External Insert fix request, I have posted about it in the Feedback forum more than twenty days ago (July 11), and it has not been addressed by any staff member yet. Since this is also present in the Early Access release, it may also be relevant to this thread.

Abiding by your answer, I will also post this report to the Feedback forum.

Hope both issues can be addressed and fixed.

Again, thanks.

These are not issues introduced by the Early Access release, therefore they are not really relevant to this thread.

You would probably want to log a support ticket (one for each issue) here.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

These are not issues introduced by the Early Access release, therefore they are not really relevant to this thread.

You would probably want to log a support ticket (one for each issue) here.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

This observation was already made, so I posted about both issues on the feedback forum.

Thanks for that link, I actually looked around and didn´t find it. Got a couple of other request, so will put it to good use.

39 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I looked at the freeze issue and it was actually introduced a few releases ago when we added support for multiple instrument tracks.
Its now been fixed for the final release so thanks for reporting it - although it would have been better in the previous release thread :)

Great!
Actually I thought it was related to my system, so I endured it till it was time for my usual system restart. I just did it, and also just got the chance to confirm it on another system.
Any way, thanks for the attention and quick addressing of the issue. Will try and be more careful about keeping things on topic.

I love Arranger and I'm really looking forward to the multiple arrangement track feature. I have seen a few glitches with Arrange inspector and Arrange tracks in the early release that I don't recall anyone else reporting:

1. Often when removing or renaming a section in the inspector, the popup menu doesn't go away after selecting rename or delete. In such cases the rename or delete operation does complete. I've also seen this behavior when renaming a section via right-mouse click operation on the arranger track.

2. When renaming a section in the Arrange inspector, once in a great while the text box in which you type the new name does not release focus. The only way out of this is to exit and restart Cakewalk.

3. Click on a section in the arranger track. Then click and drag while holding CTRL to do a copy operation. Often it will work just fine. But once it a while it will shift around all of the clips in the project. If you select multiple sections for drag/copy, it will happen more often. Once it starts happening, I've not been able to make it work again without restarting Cakewalk.

All of these are intermittent issues but #3 seems to happen often enough that I might be able to make a screen capture video of it if it's needed.

Edited by Kevin Walsh

Just downloaded Early Access:

FYI: 1st project I opened, I was set at "00" time and changed the BPM in the main header.   It inserted a new BPM at 000 but left other BPMs there.  OK, but after going into the TEMPO screen,  there was no way to DELETE the unwanted tempo changes.

Hope this helps,

Ron

3 minutes ago, Rockinpop said:

Just downloaded Early Access:

FYI: 1st project I opened, I was set at "00" time and changed the BPM in the main header.   It inserted a new BPM at 000 but left other BPMs there.  OK, but after going into the TEMPO screen,  there was no way to DELETE the unwanted tempo changes.

Hope this helps,

Ron

In the Tempo View, the first entry cannot be deleted, however all other ones can be deleted, so if you had inserted a change at measure 1 that you wanted to remove, you need to change the tempo at measure 1, then remove any subsequent unwanted changes. 

7 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I love Arranger and I'm really looking forward to the multiple arrangement track feature. I have seen a few glitches with Arrange inspector and Arrange tracks in the early release that I don't recall anyone else reporting:

1. Often when removing or renaming a section in the inspector, the popup menu doesn't go away after selecting rename or delete. In such cases the rename or delete operation does complete. I've also seen this behavior when renaming a section via right-mouse click operation on the arranger track.

2. When renaming a section in the Arrange inspector, once in a great while the text box in which you type the new name does not release focus. The only way out of this is to exit and restart Cakewalk.

3. Click on a section in the arranger track. Then click and drag while holding CTRL to do a copy operation. Often it will work just fine. But once it a while it will shift around all of the clips in the project. If you select multiple sections for drag/copy, it will happen more often. Once it starts happening, I've not been able to make it work again without restarting Cakewalk.

All of these are intermittent issues but #3 seems to happen often enough that I might be able to make a screen capture video of it if it's needed.

@Kevin Walsh - have you got an example project you could send me with these issues?

Also, it might be worth running dxdiag on your machine.  The arranger components use DirectX under the hood for drawing, so if there's a problem with your directx setup this could explain your issues.

I'm having issues with the arranger track.   Maybe it's my error?   I cannot rename tracks and the arranger dialogue screen gets stuck.  The only way to remove it is to undo everything.   Am I missing something?  When I click on rename, nothing happens...

I think I have to choose a section type first, then it seems to be working..

Is this correct?

Edited by jsg

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Kevin Walsh - have you got an example project you could send me with these issues?

Also, it might be worth running dxdiag on your machine.  The arranger components use DirectX under the hood for drawing, so if there's a problem with your directx setup this could explain your issues.

I am having same issue, renaming doesn't work and the dialogue box gets stuck.   The dialogue box in the arranger track seems very buggy.  Cannot change colors.  I have to undo to get it to disappear.  Even when I minimize Cakewalk to write on this forum, the arranger dialogue box doesn't disappear.  Nuts! I was hoping to learn this new feature quickly but too many bugs to even try to use it...I have a fairly new machine with Intel graphics card.   DXdiag doesn't show any problems..

Section Type must be defined, I think that was the issue...

Edited by jsg

Here is a short video of issue #3 from my previous post. As you can see, once the copied section is dropped, all the clips in the project are packed together and shifted all the way to to beginning of the timelines. I can provide project, can you provide an upload location for it?

DxDiag runs successfully on this machine. I do lots of WPF programming work which uses DirectX on this box and I've not had and DX-related display issues with it.

2 hours ago, jsg said:

I am having same issue, renaming doesn't work and the dialogue box gets stuck.   The dialogue box in the arranger track seems very buggy.  Cannot change colors.  I have to undo to get it to disappear.  Even when I minimize Cakewalk to write on this forum, the arranger dialogue box doesn't disappear.  Nuts! I was hoping to learn this new feature quickly but too many bugs to even try to use it...I have a fairly new machine with Intel graphics card.   DXdiag doesn't show any problems..

I haven't been able to get it to happen since I reported it. Once I close the program then come back in, it doesn't happen until I really need it to work. :)

1 hour ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Here is a short video of issue #3 from my previous post. As you can see, once the copied section is dropped, all the clips in the project are packed together and shifted all the way to to beginning of the timelines. I can provide project, can you provide an upload location for it?

DxDiag runs successfully on this machine. I do lots of WPF programming work which uses DirectX on this box and I've not had and DX-related display issues with it.

@Kevin Walsh use any service like dropbox or google to upload your file and share a link with us via PM.

• Great Idea 1

I'm finding that when I open Preferences-Themes, Cakewalk takes quite a while, about 30 seconds, to open the Themes dialogue box.  It's always been instantaneous in earlier versions I've used.

This only happens right after I open CW for the first time.  Any subsequent attempts to open Preferences-Themes is instantaneous, as expected.

Edited by jsg

7 hours ago, jsg said:

@jsg - You shouldn't have to set a section type to rename or set color.  Are you sure you're not confusing the set color dialog with the edit section type dialog?

The edit section type dialog will not disappear until the fields are valid.  In fact, unless you're going to be using arranger templates there's absolutely no reason to set a section type at all.

To rename, select the section and press F2 or select rename from the context menu.

To set color, right click and select the color from the presets or click the ellipses to get the color dialog:

rename_change_color.gif

The color dialog is Microsoft's built-int color chooser dialog - it's part of the operating system. There shouldn't be anything buggy with it, otherwise it'd be affecting all applications.