[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.07 Early Access

Friend, in the picture it is more than evident that cakewalk has the smallest faders graphically.  This for users of other Daw is especially annoying since they are used to visualize their fader with more precision because it is larger.  Although the precision is the same it is graphically uncomfortable.  Most Daw have that going for them and you've seen this review on various cakewalk forums.  About the Side Chain I mean the ease of linking plugin from its interface to sidechain mode.  In Cakewalk it is more difficult because it is not in sight.  Then I send a screenshot for you to watch.478435377_SequoiaFader.JPG.e19af049bf8cc533dbbabfb11e58b0bd.JPG

Sequoia Side Chain.JPG

Edited by enmamusic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, enmamusic said:

About the Side Chain I mean the ease of linking plugin from its interface to sidechain mode.  In Cakewalk it is more difficult because it is not in sight.  Then I send a screenshot for you to watch.

Sequoia Side Chain.JPG

I agree! I've been wanting this kind of simplified sidechain-selection for a long time. Logic has had a similar GUI option as Sequioa for many, many years.

It would be a great workflow enhancer! :)

• Like 2

I found a couple of issues in the Piano Roll:

- Sticky Selects: Selecting notes doesn't always deselect notes that were previously selected

- Runaway Zoom: Zooming in and out seems to move the focus away from the now marker even when the track options are set to focus on the now marker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran into an issue a couple of times today. I was zoomed in on the timeline to find an audible glitch in a waveform. I then pressed play. Playback started, and of course, the fully zoomed-in timeline is scrolling by very quickly at this point. All expected... but Cakewalk stopped responding to all inputs at this point. I could not stop playback by pressing the spacebar or the stop button on my control surface. I could not change the zoom level. Playback would just continue and eventually Cakewalk would respond to key presses from 15-20 seconds prior. This is on a Ryzen 3900x system.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, enmamusic said:

Friend, in the picture it is more than evident that cakewalk has the smallest faders graphically.  This for users of other Daw is especially annoying since they are used to visualize their fader with more precision because it is larger.  Although the precision is the same it is graphically uncomfortable.  Most Daw have that going for them and you've seen this review on various cakewalk forums.  About the Side Chain I mean the ease of linking plugin from its interface to sidechain mode.  In Cakewalk it is more difficult because it is not in sight.  Then I send a screenshot for you to watch.478435377_SequoiaFader.JPG.e19af049bf8cc533dbbabfb11e58b0bd.JPG

Sequoia Side Chain.JPG

Ah... so you do mean the fader throw length, not the size of the faders themselves. I'd be a fan of allowing for user adjustable fader throw. I just wouldn't change it for myself, and I'd hope that the more screen-space efficient current size would remain as an option.

I'm also a fan of adding sidechain routing to the plugin window.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sreams said:

Ah... so you do mean the fader throw length, not the size of the faders themselves. I'd be a fan of allowing for user adjustable fader throw. I just wouldn't change it for myself, and I'd hope that the more screen-space efficient current size would remain as an option.

I'm also a fan of adding sidechain routing to the plugin window.

Good idea, it could be an option where you can make them taller or shorter, just like you can make them narrow and wide. Maybe another option is that you could (user selectable) have the fader pop out when selected or when hovering over the meter. What I really like is the lay-out of Sonalksis FreeG (a free plugin!) which I started using for mastering/gain staging thanks to one of the excellent tutorials CbB Gain Staging of Creative Sauce.
I would love to see a similar functional fader build in into CbB.

Edited by Teegarden
Picture upload doesn't work
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Craig Reeves said:

I found a couple of issues in the Piano Roll:

- Sticky Selects: Selecting notes doesn't always deselect notes that were previously selected

- Runaway Zoom: Zooming in and out seems to move the focus away from the now marker even when the track options are set to focus on the now marker

Thanks for pointing these out - I've raised a bug for the select issue, and a change request for the other as the PRV never respected the zoom at now time settings.

Both of these should be fixed for the general release.

Note that the “Center on Now Time with Keyboard Zoom” setting only applies to keyboard zoom (which the PRV does actually respect) - but it's the Mouse Zoom options that the PRV isn't taking into account:

image.png.4f5260706591ff87a2bf59f994f1f62a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sreams said:

I ran into an issue a couple of times today. I was zoomed in on the timeline to find an audible glitch in a waveform. I then pressed play. Playback started, and of course, the fully zoomed-in timeline is scrolling by very quickly at this point. All expected... but Cakewalk stopped responding to all inputs at this point. I could not stop playback by pressing the spacebar or the stop button on my control surface. I could not change the zoom level. Playback would just continue and eventually Cakewalk would respond to key presses from 15-20 seconds prior. This is on a Ryzen 3900x system.

@sreamsInteresting. I wonder if it is so busy redrawing that it's not getting a chance to process the stop request. Can you reproduce this or was it a one off issue?

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@sreamsInteresting. I wonder if it is so busy redrawing that it's not getting a chance to process the stop request. Can you reproduce this or was it a one off issue?

I've had this occur multiple times. I think it is easily reproduced.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:27 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@reevant if you send a dump file I can take a look and see where its hanging. Send me a download link.

Thanks Noel, I sent a dump to Cakewalk (Freed) and we fairly quickly got pretty much to the bottom of it.  All sorted.

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This seems related to the stuff in this thread, that we were trying to help @Ben Staton lock down:

Definitely can reproduce fairly reliably on my crappy workstation but not at all on anything else. It's a tricky one!

Hi Greetings Development  Cakewalk Team and   my fellow  Cakewalk users,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I have been using cakewalk for the last 10 years. I am glad that efforts are made  to continuously improve it.

While it is appreciated that new features would  be added, please also  pay attention to cakewalk's instability and hanging issues. I experienced the following so far:-

1.  When I want to freeze a  single track out of a group of tracks assigned to a synth instrument, it freezes all the tracks assigned to that synth. Allow individual track freeze

2.  When opening the ASIO4all driver panel through cakewalk and make some  changes , the audio engine stops and re starts but play keeps  playing. You can't stop it and have to exit and re start cakewalk

I think it is important to address  ASIO4all issue in a holistic  sense so that you may try your best to test many what-if scenarios and resolve  them.  These issues have given me enough headaches such as input/outputs not working  well or erratic, audio dropouts. Better help file information is required with all suggested corrective actions rather than stating "unknown error with a code"

Alternatively , provide your own ASIO driver with  good features possible. Some of the other products do.

3.  Wave forms are  lost at times  when a clip in a track lane  is bounced or converted Stereo/mono.  Clearing picture cache folder did not help. This is actually a disaster for a professional category DAW.I experienced yesterday. I  am  re-doing all the automation  edits from my previous backup.

4. Trying to experiment with plug-ins  on a  playing  track makes cakewalk to crash. This is  same  as situation with ASIOALL driver ( trying to change its settings while playin progress). Either you disallow such change in playing mode or make  cakewalk stable handle this situation.

5. I also  strongly suggest test scenarios for cakewalk stability  when  building/editing audio tracks for a  imported video file.  For example, the  scrubbing  of tracks do not  give  a smooth  and well synchronized motion   on the  video.  Therefore, it is very difficult to put marker points  correctly.  Just to make sure the cause  is not limitation of  my  DELL PC  with 3.20 GHz processor, 32 GB  RAM , it works quite well  with my  video  editors.

6. Please also consider adding your own mastering stock plug-ins for stereo/ surround  up mix and downmix for 5.1/ 7.1, Dolby ATMOS  etc. It is very essential for  producing audios associated with movies. Because some  third party sorround mastering plugins do not work in Cakewalk but no problem with pro tools, Logicpro , Cubase which my friends use.

I will also  continue to give feedback  so that we can  get these issues resolved and enjoy using cakewalk by Bandlab with good satisfaction.

Thanks

Ali

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ali said:

"When I want to freeze a  single track out of a group of tracks assigned to a synth instrument, it freezes all the tracks assigned to that synth. Allow individual track freeze"

Yes - not sure what the epected behaviour is here but I noticed that yesterday. I've got a number of Vienna Pro instances and i'm trying to reduce processing power by freezing - but it was a bit unfortunate and more time consuming that it was bouncing 16 tracks to audio each time.

Cakewalk team - anything that can be improved there?

Yes - not sure what the epected behaviour is here but I noticed that yesterday. I've got a number of Vienna Pro instances and i'm trying to reduce processing power by freezing - but it was a bit unfortunate and more time consuming that it was bouncing 16 tracks to audio each time.

Cakewalk team - anything that can be improved there?

Edit: Sorry - didn't quote the person above correctly and accidentally double posted :)

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

On 8/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, enmamusic said:

Friend, in the picture it is more than evident that cakewalk has the smallest faders graphically.  This for users of other Daw is especially annoying since they are used to visualize their fader with more precision because it is larger.  Although the precision is the same it is graphically uncomfortable.  Most Daw have that going for them and you've seen this review on various cakewalk forums.  About the Side Chain I mean the ease of linking plugin from its interface to sidechain mode.  In Cakewalk it is more difficult because it is not in sight.  Then I send a screenshot for you to watch.

Sequoia Side Chain.JPG

This would preclude (without some horrendous Reaper-like GUI :-)) mixing multiple tracks/busses to feed to a sidechain input - the CbB approach is more flexible than this.

Bug Report: Uncheck "Single bounce per track" freeze option is broken

Hi

On this option, documentation says:

"Single Bounce Per Track
Check this if you want to create a single clip for all the bounced audio. If you don’t check this, each separate clip on a track creates a separate clip when you freeze the track."

However, when unchecking "Single bounce per track" option in the Freeze Options dialog box, freeze function will only bounce first clip and make disappear remaining clips in the track. It has been like this for several past versions of CW, including present 2020.07 Early Access version. Already tried this in two different computers with same behavior on both.

To verify:

-Open a track with several audio clips in it.

-Right click on freeze button to open options dialog box. (Fig 1)

-Uncheck "Single bounce per track" option. Hit "Ok". (Fig 2)

-Click Freeze button. CW Freezes only the first clips, and remaining clips disappear. (fig 3)

-Dotted line indicating presence of clips remains, but they are not visualized and can´t be played. (fig 4)

-Press Control-Z to undo, CW unfreezes only first clip, remaining clips still can´t be visualized, even though dotted lines indicate their presence. (Fig 5)

-Upon opening take lanes, disappeared clips can be visualized only in main track lane but not on take lane (Fig 6), but still can not be played. (Fig 7)

As stated, have tried this in two different computers with exactly the same behavior, even after complete system reformatting/restart. and clean install. It doesn´t matter what audio clips are present. It happens with and without plugins instantiated in the fx box.

This has been happening since at least the last three CW updates, including present 2020.07 EA version.

Please fix this evident bug, as it has been always working and has ceased to function, and is clearly not intended behavior.

Thanks.

P.S.: Also, please fix the External Insert plugin, for it to have true mono routing. Thanks.

Fig 1.PNG

Fig 2.PNG

fig 3.PNG

fig 4.PNG

Fig 5.PNG

Fig 6.PNG

Fig 7.PNG

Edited by kc23