[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.07 Early Access

Well I spoke too soon.  It worked for about 30 minutes or so.  Then it froze, went belly up and now I cannot get a Vienna Smart Orchestra to work.  It might play a few bars the crashes Cakewalk big time.  It seem to actually lockup my pc for a minute or two.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks for this new full packed update! 😄

13 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

Toggle Clip Gain edit filter

You can quickly toggle between Track Volume and the last/previously shown data type on the current track. To do so, press the = key. This only works on the current parent track, not in Automation lanes.

To toggle between Clip Gain and the last/previously shown data type on the current track, press SHIFT+=.

Oh, why could you not choose another key? This is really messy on the Swedish keyboard, because the '=' uses already SHIFT (is the '0' key with Shift) !!!

3 minutes ago, marled said:

Thanks for this new full packed update! 😄

Oh, why could you not choose another key? This is really messy on the Swedish keyboard, because the '=' uses already SHIFT (is the '0' key with Shift) !!!

Key binding work by binding to the key, not the character it produces.

For example, on a UK keyboard the \| key (between SHIFT and Z ) also works for toggling volume automation, and SHIFT + \| works for toggling clip gain automation.

So you may find another key might work on a Swedish Keyboard.

That being said, you can always rebind to something else.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

It's wonderful!

I would like to give some suggestions:

- assign certain arranger tracks to selected certain midi tracks or midi sessions. 

- provide FX chain also to midi effects

- provide an arpeggiator midi plugin with "composable" arpeggios (like bass patterns, steel guitar rhythmic patterns, etc)

- provide a linux version

I'm a SMF composer, and what you can do to  improve the midi composition will be great for me! Thanks for the update! I love CW!!! You're great! 

nelsonMidis

Edited by Nelson Guimaraes MIDIS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The hint is in the name of the shortcut: Open Soft Synth on Current Track ... not selected clip.

Using the selection would be ambiguous - i.e. what would take priority... the selection or the current track? And what if you've got multiple clips or tracks selected?

You don't actually have to click on the name... you just have to set the current track.  This could be by clicking the name, but it could also be by using the arrow up/down keys to go through the tracks, or pressing the track select button on a control surface.  You can also set the current track by clicking on the synth on the synth rack.

It's obvious that if I choose several clips, I don't need to open the synthesizers. I will work with clips.
If I choose several tracks , I don't need to open the synthesizer. I work with tracks.

When I work in an arrangement, I choose clips, write notes, and write automation. At some point, I want to open the synthesizer. What should I do? Need to drag the mouse to the other side of the screen to click on the icon? This is very inconvenient when you have large monitors. :(
Please make a simultaneous selection (number and track name). Then you can use this key to open the synthesizer. In the current situation, it is useless.
If you make a synchronous selection (track number and name) - an option for the user to choose - it will be fantastic!

P.S. If the user suddenly selected several clips or tracks, and then accidentally pressed shortcut: Open Soft Synth - let the first available one open.

Edited by Zirrex

After installing 2020.07 EA, I can no longer open multiple VST UI's at the same time using Ctrl + Click in the track FX window.

& thanks for the update :)

ps.  any chance of parallelizing the VST loading to use all available cores?

Edited by foldaway
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This is dependent on the control surface you're using.

Mackie compatible control surfaces already do this if you're using Cakewalk's MackieControl surface plugin.

The ACT control surfaces and Generic Control Surfaces are one way - i.e. they only receive data, so there's no way of doing that with these.

I have iCON Platform M+ add to CW like a Mackie Control

I download "Cakewalk's MackieControl surface plugin" and If I try to Install I have Error now... :(
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2005263/Mackie-control-surface-Plug-in

I try Bitwig & Reaper and use for iCON Platform M+ (Mackie Control) with other driver - Driver by Moss (http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Software.html)
After install and setup my  iCON Platform M+ can automatically switch to the selected tracks and have more options like a ACT Control.

May be you can do this for CW? That would be fantastic!

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_13-57-20.png

MackieControlSurface_2020-07-24_14-02-05.png

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_14-08-24.png

6 minutes ago, Zirrex said:

I have iCON Platform M+ add to CW like a Mackie Control

I download "Cakewalk's MackieControl surface plugin" and If I try to Install I have Error now... :(
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2005263/Mackie-control-surface-Plug-in

I try Bitwig & Reaper and use for iCON Platform M+ (Mackie Control) with other driver - Driver by Moss (http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Software.html)
After install and setup my  iCON Platform M+ can automatically switch to the selected tracks and have more options like a ACT Control.

May be you can do this for CW? That would be fantastic!

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_13-57-20.png

MackieControlSurface_2020-07-24_14-02-05.png

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_14-08-24.png

This plugin is way out of date, and AFAIK is 32 bit only.  It quite clearly says on the page:

The information in this article applies to:

• SONAR 4 Producer Edition
  • SONAR 4 Studio Edition
  • SONAR 3 Producer Edition
  • SONAR 3 Studio Edition
  • SONAR 2

Cakewalk already ships with the latest Mackie Control plugin.

You may have to uninstall this plugin, run the roll back installer and re-install the early access.

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This plugin is way out of date, and AFAIK is 32 bit only.  It quite clearly says on the page:

The information in this article applies to:

• SONAR 4 Producer Edition
  • SONAR 4 Studio Edition
  • SONAR 3 Producer Edition
  • SONAR 3 Studio Edition
  • SONAR 2

Cakewalk already ships with the latest Mackie Control plugin.

You may have to run the roll back installer and re-install the early access.

You mean this plugin?
I tested it. There is no reaction with it. Does not work. :(

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_14-20-36.png

Cakewalk_2020-07-24_14-19-56.png

17 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

Export to Standard MIDI File

The File > Export > Standard MIDI File command lets you directly export the current project’s MIDI data to a Standard MIDI File.

Unfortunately this command does not respect any selection(s) on clip(s) and or track(s). Thus for MIDI file type 0 it does not make a lot of sense (except when you have only 1 MIDI clip/track)!

Also, it is nothing more then the "Save as", "Save copy as" with MIDI format selection.

19 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

[...] export directly to Standard MIDI File [...]

I noticed that even though the option File > Export > Standard MIDI File now has been added to the main menu, it’s not as simple to export a standard MIDI file from the Export module. That’s regardless if Project or Selection has been selected in the module. Using the Export module, you would have to know that you must go through the Advanced sub-menu (not so using the main menu). If Selection has been chosen and only MIDI tracks are selected I see no reason why there wouldn’t be a similar option in the Export module. Or, if Project has been selected, why the Export module wouldn’t simply include all MIDI tracks in the project and exclude everything else.

Edited by Canopus

‘Split MIDI Notes’ and ‘Non-Destructive MIDI Editing’ options in MIDI menu

This is cool options but have problem now....
If I have only Split MIDI Notes I can`t split note. :)
If I have Split MIDI Notes & Non-Destructive MIDI Editing I can split note but when I move note to other tune this all note become long again. Clip is also long too.

This is video about this problem. :(

Edited by Zirrex

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you prefer the workspace to auto apply then why not turn on the 'Apply Workspace on Project Load’? If you want it on a case by case basis then just apply the workspace manually. Workspaces are designed to be global not per project...

Oh--I am comfortable with the way Workspaces currently work and anticipate that the EA enhancements will not change my workflow.  I was just wondering about a minor enhancement to save a step (manual selection of a specific Workspace other than the previous one used on the previously loaded project).  Sometimes I use "None," sometimes I use the last Workspace I had loaded and just switch manually.  Not a problem for me.

More of an issue (but certainly not a showstopper!) is the lack of a file hierarchy for the Workspaces--so I can group (for example) Staff Entry Workspaces together, Two-Monitor Workspaces together, Oral History listening/markup/editing Workspaces together, etc. in folders.  Again, not a showstopper; just extra gravy on what I personally feel is one of Cakewalk's seemingly under-appreciated workflow feature.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, I was very glad to see "The Apply Workspace on Project Load option is disabled by default." People who use custom Workspaces regularly should have no problem changing that option.  Conversely, not having it disabled by default would probably create confusion on the part of those who don't.  

12 hours ago, Penguin Harps said:

I made my first recording as normal. There was a bunch of static on the playback.

This was not present on the previous version.  I rolled back the version and opened the project, no static. Any ideas??

Apparently, my audio driver switched during the install.