[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.07 Early Access

On 7/23/2020 at 7:45 PM, Morten Saether said:

Split MIDI Notes. Select this option to split any underlying MIDI notes when you split clips, and insert MIDI chase events (such as continuous controllers, Pitch Wheel, and Patch Change) at the split position.

• The advantage of this is that you don’t get lost notes when copy/pasting or cut/pasting notes that start just before the split point.
  • The disadvantage of this is that if you extend the clip ends, as the note has now been split, it will be retriggered at the split point.

Is it possible to make it work the way/or add a new mode that will work this way:

- if OFF, when cropping a clip, it will discard the overridden notes entirely on both sides i.e. the notes at the end of the clip will be entirely discarded the same way notes are discarded at the beginning of the clip when cropped

-if ON, when cropping the clip start, it will shift the start of the notes along with the clip start the same way notes are shortened at the clip end?

Edited by chris.r

I made the bar numbers disappear from the time ruler somehow. Can't find anything in the reference guide so I guess it's a bug?

Also, Cakewalk is installed diretly in my C drive, don't know if it was like that before or it's an Early Access thing. 

I also had a crash with my Nektar Impact LX25+ contoller. I tried to find the crash dump but I didn't find the "Minidump" folder where it's supposed to be.

40 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

I made the bar numbers disappear from the time ruler somehow. Can't find anything in the reference guide so I guess it's a bug?

On the right of the time line is a plus and minus button.Click the plus then add MBT ruler.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:39 AM, Michael Heavner said:

Excellent! There are going to be some happy Cakewalk users;-) Having said, Waves Studio Rack is still causing Cakewalk to crash immediately after a file/song has opened. I know this is a Waves issue and not Cakewalk, I mention it only as a heads-up for other users. I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue with the Waves Studio Rack? All of my other Waves plugins cause no issues.

Many thanks again Cakewalk Team!

• Dell Precision
  • 1 TB Solid State M.2 Hard Drive
  • 8 Core  i9-9900k CPU 3.60GHz
  • Ram 128 GB
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
  • Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
  • MOTU micro express

Fatal error.JPG

@Michael Heavner we asked you for a project file to forward to waves but did not hear back.  they need that for further investigation. Can you please supply us a link to the project file?

15 hours ago, Stxx said:

Having melodyne 4 ARA crashes regularly since I updated to this early release. .  Computer runs out of memory (or it thinks it does...)   Not rolling back yet but may have to.   I can only edit and or render small sections at once and I still usually have to restart CBB to get it to play

@Stxx There are no changes to ara in this release. Please provide a crash dump file so we can see the source. Crashes in melodyne 4 won't be fixed by celemony since melodyne 5 us the latest version. I suggest you upgrade.

Third day working 5 hours straight, each one -  works fine so far. No annoying audio dropouts - that's the first thing I always check for.  Every other update -- awesome stuff. 

Great job. 👌

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Thanks, I actually messed with the colors in preferences and the numbers showed up again. Is there any way to reset the colors?

There is a default button (ensure no colours are selected, click Defaults; All Colors):

image.png.675eaeb89eb283a59b058f24889f0f1e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

Strange. It works fine by me. 

Disable your firewall, reinstall it and see how that works.

Try these steps too. 

Hi, thanks for the assistance.  I think I’ve now fixed the Vienna Smart Orchestra after a call to Support.  We looked at a possible issue.  I got rid of some bloatware and also uninstalled my version of MSOffice which was a bit old.  There was a component in there causing Cakewalk and Vienna to have a fight.  I also had to once again reinstall Cakewalk.  It worked all day today so I’m a little more confident.

Thanks again (and thanks to Cakewalk Support (thanks Freed))

Tony

• Like 1

After installing Early Access 2020.07, Synth tracks are no longer in sync.
In the worst case, it's about a quarter note shift between tracks.
Even after freezing, the playback timing was messed up.

After rolling back to 2020.05, the Synth tracks will play normally in sync.
Freeze is also normal.

The soft synth I am using is Vienna Ensemble Pro 7.
*VEP7 is configured using Vienna Instruments Pro, SuitePro, MIRPro, Kontakt, etc.

There are no errors in CakeWalk.
Did this update require any changes to my sync settings?

*This sentence is a Google translation.

-------------------------------------------

*Addition
After trying various things, when the effects of "Melda Production" were mixed, the playback synchronization became unstable.

*Addition 2
When I changed the plug-in of "Melda Production" from VST3 to VST2, it seems to be synchronized.
Is there a compatibility problem with the operation of VST3?

Edited by Toy

21 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

How do you know whether we will solve it or not before you have even given us a case to try and reproduce? We need to understand exactly what is happening in your case. We routinely use Waves plugins and I deal with the Waves engineering team directly and they have not reported this to be an issue as well. 
If it is related to a specific workflow that triggers this we need to understand exactly what is causing it. The best way to to get to the bottom of this is to work with us directly.

@Noel BorthwickBecause we've done that before, and I really appreciated it, but other than taking up the idea with the PC modules settings Copy/Paste - which I really welcome, but even that was implemented kind of limitedly and rigidly - and now the shortcut to open Synths in the Console view, which is awesome, but there's still no easy way to do it with the mouse - other than taking up these two ideas, which is very cool, none of the actual crashing, plugin compatibility, settings retention, and hardware recognition related problems have been solved. And if the endeavor starts with already assigning the problems to third parties, it looks a bit like deja vu. That's why. Not that I'm not open. But it's not very encouraging.

There are a few glitches that are clearly third party - for instance in Waves CLA MixHub - and those I've directly taken up with them, I haven't even mentioned them here. Of the 7 bugs that I've reported to them, Tal from Waves has been able to confirm 3, on two I'm waiting to hear from him in more specific scenarios, one - the ability to uncheck the Property setting of "Configure as tempo based effect", which doesn't get saved, is probably a compatibility issue of theirs with CW, while the 7th, a visualizing error of the insert, is probably CW related - I've had several types of those in CW, with various VSTs or PC modules, especially in busy, hardware pushing projects, of which one or two I've reported in the forum.

So, I am open to analyzing these together, and I appreciate the invite, but if the premise is "there's no problem, it's someone else's - a third party's - problem", that may not help us, in the long run, solve the problem. It might make us feel better in the short run - illusorily so - but not really help us. We'll talk more in PMs.

Edited by Olaf

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

@Noel BorthwickBecause we've done that before, and I really appreciated it, but other than taking up the idea with the PC modules settings Copy/Paste - which I really welcome, but even that was implemented kind of limitedly and rigidly - and now the shortcut to open Synths in the Console view, which is awesome, but there's still no easy way to do it with the mouse - other than taking up these two ideas, which is very cool, none of the actual crashing, plugin compatibility, settings retention, and hardware recognition related problems have been solved. And if the endeavor starts with already assigning the problems to third parties, it looks a bit like deja vu. That's why. Not that I'm not open. But it's not very encouraging.

There are a few glitches that are clearly third party - for instance in Waves CLA MixHub - and those I've directly taken up with them, I haven't even mentioned them here. Of the 7 bugs that I've reported to them, Tal from Waves has been able to confirm 3, on two I'm waiting to hear from him in more specific scenarios, one - the ability to uncheck the Property setting of "Configure as tempo based effect", which doesn't get saved, is probably a compatibility issue of theirs with CW, while the 7th, a visualizing error of the insert, is probably CW related - I've had several types of those in CW, with various VSTs or PC modules, especially in busy, hardware pushing projects, of which one or two I've reported in the forum.

So, I am open to analyzing these together, and I appreciate the invite, but if the premise is "there's no problem, it's someone else's - a third party's - problem", that may not help us, in the long run, solve the problem. It might make us feel better in the short run - illusorily so - but not really help us. We'll talk more in PMs.

When the CTO of Cakewalk for nearly 2 decades offers to help, I'd tend to not question his methods and just graciously accept his offer.  

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

"Show and edit MIDI automation on Instrument tracks

Instrument tracks can now show and edit MIDI automation"

Yay, that's killer. Looking forward to trying that out. Now that this is implemented, are there still any disadvantages of using an Instrument track instead of the usual MIDI+Audio combo?