Cakewalk muted my Other Windows Again

ceakay

Question

I fixed this a long time ago by unchecking the "suspend audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus". But, just recently, my other windows were muted from Cakewalk. I think it could be because I changed the buffer speed to have less delay on my audio clips (but I'm not fully sure if that's the case).

8 answers to this question

I am on ASIO. I did notice, though, that when a played an wav file while Cakewalk was open, it said something about a program is using the audio (so it couldn't play the file), even when I unchecked the suspend audio when Cakewalk isn't in focus. And, youtube says audio render error.

Edited by Caleb Kim

Sorry, here's the information:

Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio (version 6.0.1.8186)

Version of Cakewalk: 2020.05

I hope this information is enough to solve my audio problem. If this isn't enough information, then you can ask for more specific things.

Edited by Caleb Kim

Have Microsoft ever officially acknowledged the existence of ASIO? I've searched their site and the only mention of it is from users asking questions. Any answers are from other users, not official Microsoft representatives.

I've always assumed that ASIO grabs the hardware for itself and hangs on. And an app using it appears to WDM similar to an app using WASAPI Exclusive. Anything else seems like it would require some kind of mixing that would result in latency, wouldn't it?

This is all just undereducated guesses based on observing how programs interact, so please set me straight about any of it if you have concrete information.

Also, am I the only one who has wondered if either:

1. Realtek's owner's favorite charity makes a steady income from their not supplying a usable ASIO driver to go with what is overwhelmingly the most common sound interface found in personal computers? Via donations from companies whose names rhyme with Wineberg, Patronus, Snowshoe, Tax Scam, Smoker's Rights....

or

2. The developer of Realtek's ASIO driver got a visit at home from a shady character who admired their place and expressed that they would hate to see anything happen to it, say, if Realtek ever started shipping a functioning ASIO driver....