Windows Default Sound Setting

sjoens

For sound I have an onboard card, speakers in the 2nd monitor, and 2 interfaces. I set the onboard sound to "Default" for Windows & internet apps like Zoom and use the interfaces for CbB. However, whenever I connect or disconnect one or the other, Windows will change the "Default" sound to something other than the onboard card without me knowing it.

Is there a way to set the default so it stays where I put it?

Never remove the 'default' sound device. If you do, Windows will "helpfully" pick a new one for you, seemingly at random.

I've got the Realtek chip on this computer plugged into some crappy computer speakers and set as the default audio device both for regular audio and telephony. I connect/disconnect a Focusrite Scarlett Solo as needed, and only use that for Cakewalk and standalone audio programs (e.g. Bias FX, Axiom, etc.). The windows sounds continue to come out of the Realtek always, and the default never changes.

When new audio device is connected, Windows set is as default. I guess that is expected behavior for most users.

Once another device is selected as default, that decision is remembered. Reconnecting an interface from which default flag was removed explicitly no longer change default. That is consistent at least for all interfaces I have.

Note that from Windows perspective the same device connected to different USB port (to different port of a hub connected to the same computer port, etc.) is "new".