Feature request: Take Lane Send to Track

Starship Krupa

Background:

There is a situation I find myself in on just about every project I do: when recording in Loop Mode, more than one guitar or vocal takes are keepers, and can be used for doubling, or in the case of vocals, sometimes the singer decides to have some fun and starts singing harmony lines, or whatever.

Also, sometimes when comping and editing I want to "park" alternate takes for possible use later, and the most resource-friendly way to do that is to move them to another track and Archive the track. This is because Cakewalk streams all audio files associated with any clips in the project, even if they are muted. The only way to stop that is to put them in a track and archive the track.

Feature Request:

Similar to how we already have "Send to Folder" for Tracks, it would be great to have "Send to Track" for Lanes. This would allow me to select the takes I want and Send to Track, with the option to send to an existing track or create a new track. Then I can comp them into a backing vocal or archive them or whatever. The lanes would be deleted from the source track. This would be a  very nice shortcut to the drag and drop way I do it now.

Yep, I had a more expanded version of that already up... uh... somewhere? (I'm sure a search will find it, it was a fair while ago)

Basically it was Collapse to Lanes and Explode to Tracks, which would work as you would expect by those names. That would be a MASSIVE time saver for me!

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd think "Collapse to Lanes" would be selecting multiple tracks and then the lanes in those tracks would end up under one track?

In the case of my Send to Track feature, I'd find it handy to be able to have the choice of creating a new track as the target or choosing an existing track.

Yeah, so selecting multiple tracks and doing Collapse to Lanes would basically move all of those tracks to a single track (the top one of the batch, maybe?) and stack them all up in lanes, and the reverse would be selecting a track that already has Lanes in it, and doing Explode to Tracks and every Lane is extracted onto a new single track, either using the originating track as the first track or creating a whole new batch. I do like the idea of Send to Track though. Any or all of these ideas would be amazing additions!

There's a few things you'd have to factor in, like if it involves effects or softsynths, if there's any routing to consider (Aux/Busses, Sidechains, etc.) so I'd imagine it wouldn't be a "Hey it would be easy enough if you guys just..." job for the Bakers.

• Like 1

My expectation for the command would be that it would have the same result that doing it via drag and drop would today, that it would just be a shortcut. In this way I'd hope it would minimize the complexity of the programming/decisionmaking task. We wouldn't have to worry about what all it would do, because we're already doing it manually. As I said, a "shortcut."

I do like the idea of being able to go both directions. That would allow for selecting either record to separate tracks or record to single track, and then if one finds out after tracking that they would have done better to do it the opposite way, there's a quick way to sort it out.