MIDI and Audio Both Ahead of the Beat on Playback

Kitsuna

Question

Hi there, 10 year+ user of Cakewalk/Sonar here, and lately have been experiencing a very strange and very frustrating problem for the first time. 

Whenever I record anything into the DAW, whether it be on a MIDI keyboard or on a guitar, when played back it is noticeably ahead of the beat. For example, if I lay down a rhythm guitar part with a lot of 16th notes over a drum loop, it sounds super locked in while I'm recording, but when I play it back it sounds whack. It is a small differential, but big enough for me to have noticed. Same goes for MIDI. I've adjusted my buffer several times, restarted the software and the computer just as many times, and still no luck. Has ANYONE experienced this issue before? Beyond frustrating as I can't really record anything until it's sorted out. 

The interface I've been using recently is a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. 

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Hi Kitsuna, the one thing that pops to mind is to make sure you do not have the live input plug-in delay compensation override (PDC) toggle engaged during playback. This feature is used to bypass plug-in delay compensation when recording on projects that have a lot of plug-ins and VSTi's and therefore exhibit large latencies. On such projects this toggle would be engaged while recording and disengaged during playback. If it remains engaged during playback the timing between your recorded parts and VSTi parts will not be in sync. Perhaps you inadvertently turned it on at some point?