DAW Wars: The Fanboy Strikes Back

Feral State Sound

5 hours ago, Starise said:

This seems to fit in with those who like to wear the programmer hat a lot when making music. I say that because Reaper has been described as needing a lot of setup to get it the way you want it. You need a lot of patience for some of that cinematic/game work. Large templates and track counts. Makes sense concerning stability too. It's a smaller lighter less demanding on cpu program than some others. People who like it can't say enough good about it (Reaper). If a person is prone to get frustrated easily using music software they would probably want to avoid Reaper as a 1st choice. Yes, that kind of person might get frustrated with anything. That would be more so with Reaper IMHO.

This is the reason why my usage of Reaper is at a minimum. The setting up is just too much work, and I like to tweak my DAW and instruments...

I used SONAR beginning in 1997 when it was known as "Home Studio".   After the iceberg I first tried Magix Samplitude.  I couldn't bond with it.  I felt like I was doing a LOT of clicking and everything seems to tiny.  On the upside, it's fairly easy to get up and running with the basics quickly.  Then came Reaper.  I loved the customization of it.  I hated the customization of it.  I thought the ability to change the GUI so easily was a huge plus, and some of them are simply gorgeous. I mean "work of art" gorgeous.  In particular I loved the Abbey Road REDD desk.   Another thing I liked about it was "a track is a track".  There aren't midi tracks or audio tracks or train tracks.  Just tracks.  Add one and go.  Downside: At times I felt like I was working with Windoze 98.  It can have the tendency to look like it was designed by the Polit Bureau during the Cold War.  Lastly, I hit on PS Studio 1/4 which is where I'm staying.  Easy-peasy to use.  Drag it, drop it, record it.  I made my first recording with in about 15 minutes.  I can also run a jillion plugins and record at 98 samples without a hiccup.  Downside: it cost $400.   And it can have a tendency to look like a box of gummy bears when you start using colors.  I wish PS would take a tip from the Reaper people about GIUs.  Also, it just doesn't seem as deep as SONAR did.  In the end I stayed with PS just because of the plugins/low latency efficiency but, I still miss SONAR. 

On 10 de enero de 2019 at 4:42 AM, Hangdog Cat said:

And in Cubase I can audition MIDI and audio loops right from the media browser, without having to drag them into the project. This really speeds up my workflow. I requested this feature in Sonar, to no avail.

I don't get what you mean. You can audition both audio and MIDI from CbB browser, and you could in Sonar, too, since ages ago. The only limitation I find is that for MIDI you can only select a VSTi as output, and not a hardware external port.

Some of my friends are starting using Cakewalk since its free, and then they all can use the same. Even some is invested in other DAWs. But those will have both.  and the others will use this to cooperate in bands.

I don’t think they will use BandLab tho. At least not yet.

But it would be cool to get a list of features in that regard.

• How a band can use BandLab to cooperate writing/recordings and even mixing.
  • And how to ask for others (on BandLab) to participate, without the risk of getting 100 Versions back full of curse Words.
  • And where to look for help.  Musical, technical, theoretical and everything in between.

The guys that I am talking about here has this band as a hobby. They don’t have time to go to the cakewalk forum and I think they see it as a waste of time.

I bet many other looks it that way. So maybe we should build a strategy to take care of such people when they reach out to us for help. It can be hard to find what you are looking for if you don’t know how this forum works. And do not know any other forums too, when they just need to find a solution fast.

Yes. I will help my friends out. Just making their Cakewalk work makes me happy. But I bet, there are more people out there with similar problems, but no one to call. And the forum seems chaotic to them.

I dont have any answers here. But i hope we  can come up to something. How to help kickstart the  noobs.

Edited by ØSkald

@oskald  The solution for Bandlab is easy, don't "Follow" anyone who likes to put out 20 versions of the same song every and upload 2 or 3 new songs day and they won't show up on your feed. That makes it very difficult to find any artist in particular or even track your own songs.

Yes I learned that the hard way by making all my song project uploads Forkable, as fun as it is it gets over whelming and all too easy to get lost when 10 to 20 fellow Bandlab members want to collaborate and jam with you and constantly change and want you to listen and follow all the changes and suggestions they make as they go along.

Also by starting start a "Band" on Bandlab you can share unpublished Forkable projects privately with in the select members of the band who WON'T publish 20 versions per day full of curse words.

This forum IS CHAOTIC as all forums are by nature, there is no easy solution as are Internet Trolls lurking around waiting for the chance to pounce on anyone writes anything they disagree with or understand, and often times will pounce as would a "Wolf Pack" of like minded Trolls.

But I've discovered a wonderful new tool for "blocking" any member who throws the thread conversation off track. This isn't going to stop Chaos from happening, it just makes finding real solutions easier from trusted members who actually want to help.

Edited by Steev
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

JoseC:

"I don't get what you mean. You can audition both audio and MIDI from CbB browser, and you could in Sonar, too, since ages ago. The only limitation I find is that for MIDI you can only select a VSTi as output, and not a hardware external port."

It's been a while since I used Cakewalk for a music project, and I was imprecise in describing this issue. 

I wanted to be able to click on a MIDI file shown in the Browser, and have it automatically play my Korg Kronos (external synth). But in Cakewalk this wasn't possible. I had to put the file on a track and press play in order to send the MIDI data to the Kronos. Much slower when auditioning a whole folder of MIDI files. Not a huge deal or enough to make me ditch Cakewalk, but as I discovered when TSHTF, Cubase hath other charms.

I used Cakewalk for ~20 years and still appreciate its depth and features, but I use Cubase for music now, unless I'm doing a remix of an older project.

Until I recently started to track for clients, I had no idea how many of them really don't care what you use. If you can make them and their music sound good that seems to be all that matters for most. One client looked and said, Oh Cakewalk. That was it.  The only ones who pick all of this apart are us geeks 😁

• Like 2