Old Hickory Lake

mark skinner

Hello , just finished this collaboration with my ex bandmate Rick Kimbrough who grew up on Hickory lake in Hendersonville Tenn.  All crits an suggestions will be greatly appreciated.   Weapons - Godin LaPatrie,Takamine Ltd,Fender jazz(Rick) and a homemade cigar box lap steel,Fender mandolin,SI drums.  Thanks ..mark                  https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/old-hickory-lake

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 4

Mark . . . collaboration with "ex bandmate Rick Kimbrough" ?? . . . you're still very much together on this one, acoustic textures among the best I've heard recorded recently. This song is so easy to listen to, like all your others. Thanks for sharing here.

• Like 1

Great, love the mix and the vocal, and I identify with the song.

The vocal volume for me dips in spots, as the singer drops into lower pitches especially at the end of a phrase, whil the mandolin remains loud at that point. I think you could volume automate the vocal up a bit at those critical spots.

very very cool project, and where did those cigars get to, anyway?  :)

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for listening and for the Fantastic comments . You always keep me motivated. To @emeraldsoul These are the types of suggestions I am looking for. Thanks , I'll look real close at the vocal drops. No cigars .. I actually used a mahogany Starrett caliper box for this , but if anyone is interested you can buy some Really nice and cheap boxes from Atlantic Cigar co. To Tom @DeeringAmpsI'll post a jpeg of the build if I ever figure out how. I built one of those Cajon drum boxes at the same time. Now it's a nice amp stand.  Thanks ..  mark

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, emeraldsoul said:

Great, love the mix and the vocal, and I identify with the song.

The vocal volume for me dips in spots, as the singer drops into lower pitches especially at the end of a phrase, whil the mandolin remains loud at that point. I think you could volume automate the vocal up a bit at those critical spots.

very very cool project, and where did those cigars get to, anyway?  :)

cheers,

-Tom

Great advice Tom

I revisited and remixed . Did some minor stuff and did some more vocal automation. If there are no big problems I'm calling this one done. May try to shop it. This place lies just outside of Nashville and now the home of a lot of people in the industry. Thanks to all of you .. mark

3 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I revisited and remixed . Did some minor stuff and did some more vocal automation. If there are no big problems I'm calling this one done. May try to shop it. This place lies just outside of Nashville and now the home of a lot of people in the industry. Thanks to all of you .. mark

Mark . . . on my small speakers (small speakers matter !), I can confirm the vocals on this new version are much clearer, upfront . . . what you've adjusted makes a noticeable difference from what I listened to last night (which wasn't too terrible mind you) . . . I wish you much luck with your shopping !

• Like 1