MIDI out

Didazne

On 7/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, Magic Russ said:

I don't know if I knew that Kontakt generated MIDI Output before, but that opens up a lot of layering possibilites.  

And also nothing quite as cool as using an internal sequencer/arpeggiator in one VST to drive the tone generator in another. For one example the Ample Sound bass riffer can do that. So if you have another instrument you would rather use for the audio, just send the riff over to it via MIDI and mute the audio in the source VST. 😁

One problem that this solves for me is the Ample bass that I have only has picked samples. By using MIDI output I can send the riff to a fingered bass instrument...

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, msmcleod said:

@Jim Fogle - when you same multi-channel outputs, do you mean audio outputs?

The video I posted earlier in this thread shows how to do this for Omnisphere. 

Unfortunately the process is different for every VSTi, so you'll need to refer to the user guide for each VSTi.

I'm sure I did a similar one for Kontakt at some point... I'll try to dig it out.

@msmcleod, Yes Mark I was thinking audio outputs when I wrote that question / suggestion.  I've seen your video on Kontakt.  It is also a keeper. I did not realize the steps to set up multiple audio outputs would vary between VSTis but that makes perfect sense once you point it out.

The Cakewalk by BandLab Reference Guide is a valuable resource but it doesn't address the subject of multiple VSTi audio outputs  at all as far as I can determine.  There are a goodly number of multiple audio output VSTis available so perhaps the subject needs some attention.  If nothing else a catch all that states check with the VSTi user manual to determine how to set up CbB to utilize multiple audio outputs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 9:59 PM, msmcleod said:

Omnisphere (which the OP was querying about) is actually pretty good with cores... so one instance works well vs multiple instances....  Kontakt is the same, if it's set up properly.

But as you say, you do lose the ability to individually freeze each track - it's none or all of them.

Or  you can set up 8 Omnispheres/Kontakts and freeze/edit/refreeze them quickly. Low CPU and Quick Editing. I hate freezing/unfreezing a Kontakt with 16+ Channels!!! I have been splitting it to several instances like - Trumpets 1/2  next copy of Kontakt FHorn 1/2. I am never through after the 1st freeze! Back and Forth.

• Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away from Cakewalk for a while, so this MIDI out is new to me, BUT I really see the opportunity for layering. I don't like having multiple linked clips. So I gave it a go.

My first attempts were with 32b VSTi's, that purported to support MIDI out. They were Hypersonic and SFZ. Neither of these worked. I also have since found that back in the days of 32b, SONAR had a reported bug that it didn't support MIDI out from VST synths, only DXI's.

Anyway, I looked for a 64b synth that did, and the first I came across was Ample Guitar MII Lite. So, I routed everything and it seemed to work only for 1 of the notes.:S After a bit of investigation, I realised it was ONLY mirroring the notes to MIDI out, that were above Eb5:o. So every note above Eb5 worked (including running the mouse over the piano roll, which is how I found it), but none below. I don't see how anything I did would be the cause, but obviously something isn't right.

Anyone got an idea what I am doing wrong?

In the big picture, I don't wish to use Ample Guitar as the source (its just the first 64b MIDI out VSTi I found); I asked the above to better understand the process to check what I am doing wrong, when I do find a better source.

My other questions are:

i) Is there another VSTi I could use? preferably lighter/"smaller" or less visually intrusive.

ii) This one is a little vague/crazy, but I have my reasons. Are there any simple SynthEdit based VSTi's that support a working MIDI Out?

iii) Has anyone managed to get MIDI out working from a 32b VSTi?

iv) and of course, what I am I doing wrong above, with Ample Guitar that it does not mirror below E5? (ie only above Eb5)

The following is a post where I first found out about MIDI Out and shows a picture of the setup

Edited by JohnK