MUSIC & VIDEO PRODUCTION BUILD

DGeneration ZX

When you say large how large is large?  When you say cinematic I'm guessing heavy mixes ( on a computer) . By heavy mixes I mean 100+ tracks ( or more) + video.  Some composers offload some of that weight to another server. Not all DAW combinations lend themselves well to those kinds of mixes.  TBH I have never had a mix that large on CbB. The software and platform are important as well. Recently I read one person who mixes cinematic say that Studio One wasn't pulling the big mixes good enough for him. Nothing against CbB, but I wouldn't look at it for this kind of thing. Cubase yes.  I know of composers over on other forums who are effectively using Reaper and Ableton for this. My theory on Ableton is the piano roll is one of the easiest to read and navigate. That comes in handy on those large mixes. Studio One's piano roll is one of the worst IMO.Cakewalk is pretty decent.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has a huge mix and is confident with CbB in this capacity. I would be very leary of resting a huge mix on something not proven in that capacity.

If it were me, I would have two computers. One for video editing and one for audio work. ..but that's me. I think it makes sense to keep them separate. 8K is around the corner.

Some people here do this as a livelihood. Those who do it full time fully expect to make a large investment in both hardware and software. High end cpu, 128 gb of ram (or likely more), backup protected. BBCSO is 600gb. VSL and East West are similar if you get all of the instruments. 

You simply should not attempt it on anything less than the best. Not the best you can afford. The best. There's a difference. If you can't afford it, don't try it.

Edited by Starise

6 hours ago, Starise said:

You simply should not attempt it on anything less than the best. Not the best you can afford. The best. There's a difference. If you can't afford it, don't try it.

^^^ this ^^^

8 hours ago, Starise said:

Nothing against CbB, but I wouldn't look at it for this kind of thing. Cubase yes. 

If it were me, I would have two computers. One for video editing and one for audio work. ..but that's me. I think it makes sense to keep them separate. 

I have got  the better Video export with Cakewalk, not Cubase.  Tested them both.  And at some point, Video and Audio got to get together.

Always keep in Mind,  50% of Video is Audio.

The Audio Engine and the export of cakewalk are still outstanding. Without any ads.

HTH

Cheers 🍻

1 hour ago, mkerl said:

I have got  the better Video export with Cakewalk, not Cubase.  Tested them both.  And at some point, Video and Audio got to get together.

Always keep in Mind,  50% of Video is Audio.

The Audio Engine and the export of cakewalk are still outstanding. Without any ads.

HTH

Cheers 🍻

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm mainly referring to the larger cinematic templates that load up many many vst instruments the poster was referring to.  The audio engine in Cakewalk is excellent. Cakewalk is not a video editor though and I'm not sure how well it can handle 100 plus vst instruments all at once. I know there are people here who regularly load that many audio tracks....totally different demands on the computer compared to large numbers of vsti. Maybe Cakewalk could do it?  I guess there's nothing to loose in trying it. I would want a few more options if this was my bread and butter, but that's me. 

Most composers want to keep everything in midi until mixdown ( the ones I'm aware of)  which means there's a real load on the computer. Some DAW software is better suited for that kind of thing.  Not only this, but if you're sending your file to the studio and they want something familiar they would rather see something they can load up in their systems and not need to bother with it which is why it's probably going to be Cubase, Pro Tools or Logic. The exception is if the engineer is making it start to finish, mixing the video and everything in between. If the scene only calls for a few sound effects and some light background mood music a lesser system will do. 

I can get by with an average build because I don't do any of that stuff. If I do anything similar it's small sectionals with minimal vsti loaded. It's all a matter of what it's used for. If I'm going into the jungle for three months and taking rough terrain roads in the mud I'm going to pick the hummer instead of the Kia 4 wheel sport package. 

Cinematic libraries are often some of the most demanding. There are ways to work around some things but most of them are frustrating when being paid on a deadline JMOP. 

15 hours ago, Starise said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

You're welcome 😊

Yes, I know the Industry Standarts. And no, I usually don't do Projekt's with 100+ vsti . . . but I wouldn't hesitate to choose cbB for a Job like that. Especially since the bakers made CbB stable, solid and reliable as never before. 

Cubase is great to work with videos, no doubt. And for composing / arranging with Symphonic Orchestras the expression maps are genius. And there is no need to render a Video direct in the DAW. Most Producers would export only audio I guess, and finish the video in the Videosoftware. Me and myself, I usually make vids of 5 to 10 min, some were  20 min, and to me it's great to export a Video directly out of cakewalk. Quality is great, it's quick and my workflow is shortened. 

Hans Zimmer once said, the best DAW is the one you can use and work with to be creativ. Most DAWs can do the Job, there are Composers who use Digital Performer for years to score Videos for example. 

But to get back to the OP: The better the Hardware, the more fun you'll have. I think highend Gaming PCs are a good orientation.

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

Cheers! 

I guess I err on the side of caution. I didn't want to tell the guy that all he needs is a Costco computer.  Better too much and have some left than too little and come up short.

Hans Zimmer......someone told me he can't read music. Not sure if that's true. I have a lot of supposed factoids like that I can't be certain of. Hans just went through a divorce....that's no fun. I pretty sure that one is true.  It seems the more money a man has the less likely he is to stay married. I admit that's a leap in logic too. Seems some very wealthy popular person is always getting divorced. 

Hans is definitely a Cubase fanboy. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Starise said:

Better too much and have some left than too little and come up short.

Hans Zimmer......someone told me he can't read music. 

Hans is definitely a Cubase fanboy. 

Not to mention, a better system will fit your needs for maybe two more years than an average system. Electronics are evolving with tremendous speed. My i5 based system is 4 years old, I pimped it with ram and ssds, but by next year I'll need an upgrade. And that's late in respect of Video and Audio. 

I 've read lately about a 12K (!!!!) Camera. 

I heared these rumors too, Hans Zimmer can't read Music. Honestly, I can't imagine. He is an orchestral composer, I don't believe one could do that without craft and skills. But, who knows? 

And yes, he is a cubase guy, but depending on the needs of the studios he's working with, It's said he's using Pro tools too. 

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

I would like to know what DGeneration's intentions are (for seeing my DAWghter) Ha, only joking, but.....

If he has limited experience and wants to get going from the start composing music/sound for video/film, it might be better to start with something a bit simpler. Cinematic does not necessarily mean orchestral. Joining some local short film group and putting the hand up to do the music for the short film would be a good start. In this case, while it always helps to have good libraries, you might only use a few pieces out of those libraries, you can go a long way with some decent synths, a great quality piano and some great sounding cinematic percussion and loops, combined with things like action strikes/atmosphere etc.

This approach is not that intensive and computer requirements would be lower, you would only be looking at 25 tracks or so. The skill set requirement is also lower. You don't need to be a great piano player, just a few chosen notes and chords together with some synth backing and an assortment of percussion loops with some nicely applied action strike samples etc.

Orchestral stuff is in another league entirely.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1