How to Route Midi to Control a Plug-in that is an Effect Processing Audio?

Michael T

Hi folks

Looking for some help to a problem. I really like Reason Rack as a VST but having trouble using Neptune which is a pitch corrector and harmony generator. The way it works is that it is usually set as an effect on a vocal audio track to process the audio data. Neptune itself is controlled by midi which you can play on a keyboard to use the existing vocals re-pitched into a harmony using the keyboard. 

The problem is that I cannot see a way to send the midi data into the effect while it is on the audio track. It is like the midi-inputs are not exposed and Cakewalk can't see them. I tried setting it up as an instrument and split the track. The midi goes in but not the audio. Seems the audio track created with an instrument is output only, not input. 

I’m guessing there must be a way to do this but it is not obvious. Anyone know how?

Thanks!

Michael

After seeing some posts on Vocoding, which is a similar issue, I found the answer. 

In the plug-in there is a Cakewalk wrapper menu and on that menu is VST3. You just click the drop down and there is a menu item “enable midi input”!!! So happy to discover that. 

• Great Idea 1