Notion 6.7 Available (Not a deal)

ZincT

Amazing that Presonus can integrate what was a 3rd party stand alone notation program into their DAW which hadn’t natively ever had notation while Cakewalk, users have been asking for years for some basic enhancements to notation that has been present for some 30 years and can’t really get much joy. 
I wonder why Presonus thought notation was so important when notation being relatively low on the importance scale has been an argument for its lack of development within Cakewalk. 
Let’s argue about it. 

3 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

I wonder why Presonus thought notation was so important when notation being relatively low on the importance scale has been an argument for its lack of development within Cakewalk. 
Let’s argue about it. 

Not argue Mike but debate about it :D

In my mind Presonus did the right thing as Cubase has notation and even Reaper does. For the educational market this is a good move to have it built in to the DAW.  Now why Cakewalk does not think it is necessary to update the Staff view is beyond me.  

I will in the future upgrade my StudioOne 4 license to the new version but I'm in no rush. I'll wait for a sale that brings it down under $100.

Edited by InstrEd

I have pointed people to CbB in the past who were composers. Inevitably they always ask why the notation isn't more complete. I'm not sure how large their group is...but some of them love Musescore because it's free as a replacement for Sibleus or Dorico. If you begin to have them recommending  a program to one another, then that says something.

TBH The integration in SO5 is still evolving. Not perfect yet. Not bad though, especially for people like me who aren't extremely particular so long as musicians can read it.

The closest that Cakewalk apparently came was a few years ago, before Gibson bailed out, when the developer of Overture had made a proposal to provide a scoring solution for Cakewalk, based on his application. It could have been a thing, but management decided not to go that direction. So I believe that there is some weight to notation being viewed as a low priority. But then as we all know now, there were apparently some serious financial issues within Gibson/Cakewalk at the time, so maybe it was lost in the shuffle.

There is a discussion somewhere on the old Cakewalk Forum about this, around the time of the great shutdown.

But we Sonar users were offered a very nice crossgrade offer from Overture during our dark times.

I remember that discussion on Overture. I think $$ was a consideration then for sure.

I have a hard time believing that beats/live performance are the things that seem to be getting all of the attention as evidenced by SO5's new performance page, though they also added notation. Presonus must think they are getting reliable stats from somewhere. Looks like they sort of accommodated both groups. Depending on what you do you either liked it or not.  Educated notation reading musicians are not going away. You won't go to college and have the music professor say, " Hey we decided to throw out music notation from now on".

The fact that CbB is still free and two years out still aren't charging up for anything additional is sending some kind of a message. I just can't figure out what it is?? In that respect any direction they take is a big question mark. The only reason to offer good software free is usually to eliminate or weaken the competition so far as I can tell. Sort of like the way large chain stores open up and offer lower prices than the stores down the road who eventually go out of business. The DAW market is different though. I don't see the key players going out of business. Their bottom lines might be hurting some because I have heard some users of DAW sofware X deciding to stop paying and cross over to CbB. Not sure how often this happens. If I invest 2 or 3K in a rig I'm not going to let a 299.00 software purchase hold me back. If I like brand X I'll buy it. If the free one is no loss I'll use it instead. Most for $$ studios have several DAWs.

4 hours ago, Starise said:

I remember that discussion on Overture. I think $$ was a consideration then for sure.

I have a hard time believing that beats/live performance are the things that seem to be getting all of the attention as evidenced by SO5's new performance page, though they also added notation. Presonus must think they are getting reliable stats from somewhere. Looks like they sort of accommodated both groups.

I think there has been some feedback over at PreSonus that lack of scoring  in Studio One was one of the things keeping the professional film and TV scoring crowd from making the switch to Studio One. If they can strike a balance between them and the beats crowd, then I think they will be able to make lots of folks happy.

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

SO5 doesn't come across to me so far as very earth-shattering (most of the heavy hitters dropped in 4), but I did hear them make mention that they spent a lot of time recoding Notion to get the current implementation inside of SO5. I have not gotten to use that feature much yet (so not sure what Notion stand-alone has over SO5), but it seems that a good chunk of their SO5 effort was to get Notion embedded. The bridge has been there since acquisition, I think, but tearing the code down to put it inside of the DAW must have been a intensive venture.

I still think PreSonus spends time reading other DAW forums... it seems a lot of features requested or complained about with other DAWs just magically show up in SO.

3 hours ago, InstrEd said:

In my mind Presonus did the right thing as Cubase has notation and even Reaper does. For the educational market this is a good move to have it built in to the DAW.  Now why Cakewalk does not think it is necessary to update the Staff view is beyond me.  

I will in the future upgrade my StudioOne 4 license to the new version but I'm in no rush. I'll wait for a sale that brings it down under $100.

Heck, I'm still shocked that REAPER added notation.  They were primarily focused on audio, with MIDI a little less mature.

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

I still think PreSonus spends time reading other DAW forums... it seems a lot of features requested or complained about with other DAWs just magically show up in SO.

Exactly what I was thinking... 😉

1 hour ago, pbognar said:

Heck, I'm still shocked that REAPER added notation.  They were primarily focused on audio, with MIDI a little less mature.

I think that for a DAW to be mainstream, it cannot disregard the education market. Without usable notation it is a non-starter in that segment. Music education is all about reading and writing those little dots on the staff.

I'm sure that there are lots of potential future users still in diapers. They will adopt the tools that they learn in school one day. It would be smart to not miss out on that opportunity.

I think that PreSonus is looking at it from both perspectives. Popular music and traditional music education.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mettelus said:

SO5 doesn't come across to me so far as very earth-shattering (most of the heavy hitters dropped in 4), but I did hear them make mention that they spent a lot of time recoding Notion to get the current implementation inside of SO5. I have not gotten to use that feature much yet (so not sure what Notion stand-alone has over SO5), but it seems that a good chunk of their SO5 effort was to get Notion embedded. The bridge has been there since acquisition, I think, but tearing the code down to put it inside of the DAW must have been a intensive venture.

They bought Notion and took the code for SO5 which I think was a wise move. I think they kept  Notion for those who would rather not work in DAW software.

It seems the main advantage to Notion now is it allows a more detailed editing experience. You can rearrange part order change names of instruments, add your name and other info to the score. Things you probably can't do yet or as easily in SO5 notation view. You can bake the cake in SO5 , send it over to Notion for the icing.. Now that they have the code embedded, I can see them adding new features in subsequent versions.

In hindsight Presonus likely made the performance page for clubs who regularly run tracks for shows. Same show every night, set up a template in a program that talks to your mixer. It's an angle not many others had. Many of then have SO already that came with their Presonus mixers. You can not only mix automation and FX for the mixer, but now you can arrange the tracks and loops into scenes.

I am still toying with the idea of signing up for Sphere, I would really like a good notation program so Notion is one of the driving factors. I was a bit meh when I demoed Studio One 3 way back but things like the new articulation lane etc. are making me think I should give it another try.  It's a reasonably low risk course of action as I could cancel the subscription if I feel its not going to work out for me.

9 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Does the SO5 Notion have TAB  or just the normal Staff?

No tab unfortunately. I would have liked to see that.

I think that with how the notation view is directly linked to the piano roll and the enharmonic nature of the guitar, it might be hard to implement.

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Eh, I guess enharmonic isn't really the correct term. I just mean that the guitar can have the same pitch in multiple locations.

Yes, it's almost like you'd need some AI to figure out the best way to playing something on guitar - even then, different players would select different positions.

• Like 1