Recording the metronome

Morten Saether

You can record the audio metronome to a track. This may be useful, for example, if you plan to work on the project in another DAW, or if you simply want more control over the metronome signal. By recording the metronome to a track, you can export the click track as a separate track when you export individual track stems.

The first step is to create a new stereo bus that is dedicated to the metronome. Most of the default Cakewalk project templates already contain a Metronome bus. If your project already contains a Metronome bus, you can skip directly to step 5.

1. If your project doesn’t contain a Metronome bus, go to Insert > Stereo Bus to insert a new stereo bus, then rename the new bus to “Metronome”.

image.png

2. Click the Metronome icon image.png in the Transport module to show the metronome settings (or go to Edit > Preferences > Project - Metronome).

image.png

3. In the Preference dialog box, select Use Audio Metronome, and make sure the Output field is assigned to the Metronome bus.

image.png

4. Click OK to close the Preferences dialog box.
  5. Right-click the Metronome bus in the Track view or Console view and select Insert Send > New Aux Track.

image.png

The Metronome bus is now sending its signal to the new Aux track.

image.png

6. Arm the new Aux track for recording image.png and disable Input Echo image.png.

image.png

7. Make sure the metronome is enabled during recording image.png (press F3 to enable/disable the record metronome).

image.png

8. Click the Record button image.png in the Transport module (or press R) to begin recording.

image.png

The signal from the Metronome bus is recorded to the Aux track.

image.png

9. When you are done recording the metronome, click the Stop button image.png in the Transport module (or press SPACEBAR), then disarm the Aux track image.png.

Note: If you re-arrange the project or insert meter changes or tempo changes after the metronome has been recorded, you should re-record the metronome in order to be synchronized with the timeline.

Post recording:

1. Disable the original record metronome (press F3). This way, the metronome will only be played by the recorded Aux track.

image.png

2. If you don’t need to record any additional metronome signals, delete or disable the Aux send on the Metronome bus.

image.png

You can even mute or delete the entire Metronome bus if it is no longer needed.

3. Assign the Aux track’s Input control to None.

image.png

4. Finally, rename the Aux track to a more descriptive name, such as “Metronome”.

That's it! You can now mute/unmute the Metronome track as needed.

image.png

In summary:

1. Create a Metronome bus and send it to a new Aux track.
  2. Record the Aux track.
  3. Mute the original metronome.
  4. Mute/unmute the Aux track when a click track is needed.

For more information about the metronome, click here.

For more information about Aux Tracks and Patch Points, click here.

Aux Tracks & Patch Points tutorial

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 4

Good info.  On first read I thought  "this is quite involved" but in practice it really takes no more than a minute or two.

Only thing or two I would add is:

1. Don't think you have to record the whole length!  Record a bar or two, trim to a complete bar. Ctl+L the clip (or right-click and choose Groove-clip Looping). Now just left-click and drag the right edge of the clip to the length needed.

2. To save time next time: add the Metronome Aux track (steps 1-5) to your favorite default template and Save!

Thanks Morten!

Capture.JPG.900aed7d45cc8e42055cd295bcc0bf2f.JPG

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I would like the option to place the metronome as a track instead of a bus.  The purpose being the ability to Export a  mix that includes the click audio without having to record the click.  I often need to make mixes that include a click and would like the ability to do this as simply as possible.   

That said, having the option to record the click as described in this tutorial is far better than no option.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 6:07 AM, Frank Kennedy said:

Been wanting to be able to print the click since forever. I'm really impressed by BandLab's dedication to keeping Cakewalk not just alive, but actually growing, and growing in far more functional ways than R****d or G****n ever did. 

Just for the record, the Patch Point/Aux Track funcitonality that made this possible was introduced in October, 2015:

http://static.cakewalk.com.s3.amazonaws.com/cakewalk/news-archive/Welcome-to-the-October-2015-SONAR-update.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 4:23 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

@Morten Saether  It's good to see you here!!  

Been a long time...  😉

Hey Jim...When you built my first music computer  back in the day,  I had Cakewalk for Midi and wonderful Samplitude for Audio.

Samplitude eventually got midi going in a good direction, so I moved totally away from Cakewalk...

Until this week.  The new Arranger tracks got my attention and now I made my first tune in Cakewalk with great results.

A very enjoyable interface it is! Drag and Drop is a blessing!

I hope you are doing well!

11 hours ago, Adam Compeau said:

Hey Jim...When you built my first music computer  back in the day,  I had Cakewalk for Midi and wonderful Samplitude for Audio.

Samplitude eventually got midi going in a good direction, so I moved totally away from Cakewalk...

Until this week.  The new Arranger tracks got my attention and now I made my first tune in Cakewalk with great results.

A very enjoyable interface it is! Drag and Drop is a blessing!

I hope you are doing well!

Hi Adam,

Where have all the years gone???   😉

It's good to see long-time Cakewalk users using/enjoying CbB.

Of recent, I've learned to be somewhat of a home-body.  Miss playing out... but (on the flip side) the break has been nice.

Hope you and yours are safe/well!

Hope the Bakers are all safe/well!

• 7 months later...

@Fwrend, your suggestion to record a few measures, convert the measures to a Groove Clip and extend as far as needed works fine if your song project is a fixed tempo.  However, your suggestion will not work  if the song project tempo varies. 

Recording the metronome while following a tempo map will allow you to make a custom audio click track that can be distributed to other musicians that will be creating tracks to be used in your song project.

@MARTIN NICKLESS I believe you would first need to create a tempo map of your audio track.  Then the metronome would use the tempo map as a guide to speed up or slow down as needed.

Edited by Jim Fogle

@MARTIN NICKLESS,

I'm not sure why you couldn't record.  I'm thinking you may have missed a step as I just tried it and it worked for me.

May I suggest you try again with your browser open to this thread so you can follow each step of the process while you perform them?

To make sure I completely understood each step, I started with a new project.  I used the basic template since it is very minimal.   For me the "tricky" part is creating the Aux track instead of using an empty audio track.

If a step does not work as expected, ask a question in this thread detailing where you're at, what you expected and what happened instead.  That way we can help you figure out where the process is breaking down.

Hi there can you please send Link to your answer eg the process

also my set up doesn’t have the loop construction in views 

just to say I am trying to build acoustic instruments into a recording by importing them into BandLab the very initial start of any project is having the correct tempo e.g. the clinical metronome just to let you know that’s what I’m trying to achieve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...