input and panning

Trevor Crump

Question

Hello and thank you for taking the time to try to answer my questions.

Im a newbie started recording with cakewalk loving it but no matter what configuration of input i try i cannot pan left or right successfully .

first if i select focusrite left input theres no signal at all

secondly if i select right input only and pan it just gets louder in each side of my earphones same happens if i select stereo input i see two channels and when i pan i see the respective signal singularly on each side of the stereo signal but panning does nothing except make everything louder in both sides .also when i pan just a fraction left or right sound goes way down and i get distortion 

Thats it in a nutshell .i have been into the sound panel on my laptop and selected both single and stereo options for the scarlett but again other than getting a single input signal i still cant pan encountering above problems 

Regards 

Teecee

3 answers to this question

It is not stereo as such. 2 inputs to the focusrite, 2 outputs. If you have say a guitar plugged in and it is on the left channel, set the track to record the left channel. If it is on the right channel, set the track to record the right channel.

When it is recorded you can pan it. But you are recording mono tracks. If you plug in a mic and a guitar and sing and play at the same time, the mic goes on one track, the guitar on a separate track. Afterwards you can fiddle.

Even if you were to plug in a "stereo" mic, you would still need to record 2 tracks, one left and one right. Afterwards, you can do whatever you want.