Improvement of Copying Controller Data

marcL

In the past I did not work a lot with MIDI controller data. But now I have found a really serious problem:

If you want to copy controller data (e.g. piano pedal), then if you select data that is not precisely aligned, as it is natural, it always starts the selection at the first controller change even if you make the selection with snap enabled and start at measure begin. I.e. if you want to copy and insert your selection in a senseful way, then you have to set the now time precisely to the uneven measure position like the first controller change. This is very unhandy and time consuming!

Please implement a way that it is possible to select/copy controller data from a measure start position and insert it in this way. Example: if I have a pedal down event at 002-01-186 and some events following, then I want to select measure 002 to 004 and then insert it at measure 005 so that the first pedal down is at 005-01-186. It should behave the same like copying note events though!

While I'm all for any tools that could make working with MIDI easier, especially that we have to deal with tons on different controllers, channels and other type of events, where such a simple things like selecting and copy/pasting can be tricky, I'm not sure how such a function you're asking should look like.

What I do in your case is to use snap setting "Snap By" when dragging a selection that is not perfectly aligned to measure boundaries, to keep it in it's relative position. Set snap resolution to measures and check your Snap By is on, then drag or ctrl+drag your selection and you should be fine. If you make a selection first, for example select measure 3 and 4 of a given track, then Edit>Select>By Filter (Ctrl+Alt+F6) and there you can specify exactly what you need, for example click 'None' at the bottom right then check only Control, number Min: 64 and Max 64 and then OK (up in the right corner) and you'll end up with only sustain pedal controller selected but your selection (measures 3 and 4) will remain untouched.

• Thanks 1

But yes, I would love something like a simple click of a button to split controllers to take lanes or tracks, without involving fussy CALs, split by channel, thin out, smooth out (this one for tempo changes as well), double click in the controller pane to select all events in the pane, select only a bunch then edit just on these, draw a line then click in the middle and bend etc.

Edited by chris.r