Won't stop playback

jkoseattle

Question

For the recent project I'm working on, (not large but not insignificant), I'm trying to record some vocals, and things are working fine except for the fact that often I can't stop playback. Sometimes I hit the Space bar and there's a delay of a few seconds before it actually stops, and sometimes it doesn't stop at all. In fact, during those times I can't do anything else in CW. If I just let it play for a few minutes and then come back to it I can usually stop it though.

Also, I get some audio artifacts I haven't heard before. They are probably dropouts, but it's not like it stutters or stops entirely, but playback kind of fizzles out and back in almost like radio static.

ASIO drivers, 512 buffer size. About ten instruments, a dozen or so vocal tracks.

Pretty annoying. Any idea why this is happening?

2 answers to this question

I've had the same problem from time to time.  For me, it never stops.  I have to use Task Manager to End the Cakewalk task.

The other difference for me is that I am still able to go into the File menu or the Edit menu.

I can even open another project.  And if I do, the Now time continues to proceed even though the Now line is stationary.

I was finally able to get it to stop by changing the configuration settings (while it was running) to Stop if Dropout.

Then I changed my ASIO buffers to 32 (to cause the dropout).

Reviewing the device settings I remembered that "Plug-In Load Balancing" doesn't work on my system.

Un-checking that box got it working again.

HTH,

Steven

Edited by Steven Bell

Today, just a beginner Cakewalk user, had a piece composed elsewhere played in playback (sorry if my language is not write), I couldn't stop it from repating, either.
After the fourth time, having tried things in between, I finally clicked the stop button and it stopped.

Then, I tried to import another piece, but when it started, it mixed with the previous piece where it had stopped...

Is there something I am missing? I'm totally new here...

By the way, I'm using the 2021.6 Early Access version.

Edited by Vera Vieira