Add drag and drop functionality to step sequencer.

David Rohan

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 11:52 AM, scook said:

May need to elaborate a little.

Currently it is possible to drag and drop MIDI clips from Windows explorer, the track view and media browser into the Step Sequencer.

What I meant was a direct drag and drop function similar to the step sequencer in fl studio.

3 hours ago, David Rohan said:

What I meant was a direct drag and drop function similar to the step sequencer in fl studio.

For those of us who have never had the pleasure of working with FL Studio, please elaborate a little more. 

On 8/4/2020 at 6:25 PM, Base 57 said:

For those of us who have never had the pleasure of working with FL Studio, please elaborate a little more. 

Essentially the Fl Studio step sequencer has a built in sampler and triggers these samples based on the noted pressed in the step sequencer. You are able to drag and drop a sample onto each row however doing something similar in Cakewalk isn't as intuitive.

6 hours ago, Base 57 said:

That's because the Cakewalk Step Sequencer is MIDI only.  It is not a sampler. Look into the Matrix View or use a third party sampler.

I understand that the Fl studio step sequencer is both sample and midi based. I do currently work with the step sequencer using a sampler plugin and it's usable however it is not very intuitive compared to Fl studio's step sequencer despite only subtle differences. Minor changes could easily be added to improve the workflow when using the step sequencer. Also I know about the sampling capabilities of the Matrix View but having to manually map each cell by midi learn makes it work better for live performances rather than as a sampler, which does go to show that Cakewalk could use a sampler given that they are included in practically every DAW.

Edited by David Rohan