Studio One 5 Upgrade Educational LIcense

Dave Maffris

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

At a cost of say $40-$50?

Bringing the cost to ~$128 🙂 

you can get your refund for tuition minus the application fee, as long as you request the refund early enough, (within first 2 weeks of course).

but yeah. you can't upgrade or sell the license. if i am correct, that's how most of these .edu products work.  it's better to just crossgrade.

Edited by telecode 101

I think the way it works is that Presonus will require the name of the educational institution and your status as a student or teacher, before issuing the license, so it would stand to reason that they could withhold the license or simply charge you the full price to get your license after purchase. This is why I didn't purchase, because I'm not into making shit up, and enrolling in something and then dropping out just seems like too much trouble to save a few bucks. So most likely the best deal is at Best Service (126 bucks) or waiting to see if a sale is announced at some point.

On another related topic, is anyone interested in Sphere? Now that I've looked at the details, I don't think it offers that much for me, but I could see others doing it to get the full range of instruments, samples, etc., as well as the cloud storage, "community" and other social/educational features, etc.d Don't think it would be worth it, I have most of the stuff they are offering re: instruments and effects with other vendors (NI, Orange Tree) and it seems like redundancy to me. But interested to know who, if anyone would consider the subscription, since it is a relatively affordable way to pay as you go and not shell out as much up front.

18 hours ago, Dave Maffris said:

Not to belabor this topic even more, but let me share a story that may help somewhat. My music studio is a modified shed; I purchased the shed "shell" from a local retailer, a very nice lady near where I live in NC.  This is a local company, not a conglomerate, although they had a reputable product, and they are, I believe franchisees or independent contractors.  She gave me a "military discount," even though I told, when asked that  I was not a veteran. But she knew I was a serious customer, I was still spending a lot of money on one of their more costly products, so for her the discount was just sharp business. I never lied about anything to her. Should I have refused the discount, because it would be "fraudulent.?" C'mon! Though I draw the line at obtaining "cracked software" or music FOR FREE.  And I would NOT lie  and say I'm a teacher or student or make up anything,  if asked. In this case, I was at the checkout, and was not asked to verify anything. So really, tell me you wouldn't buy something at half price if given an opportunity?  Snagging a good price is smart, and if the vendor is willing to do it, then they sure as heck know how the game is played, and, they are still making money, in fact more money than not getting a customer to buy at   all, or to wait until later, when they go on sale, anyway. I promise you this update will be discounted at or close to the "educational" price down the road, and most likely Black Friday or way before there is a new version released.  If the company is serious about limiting the discounts, they can always require (as Apple Does) actual proof of their choice, up front-it's up to them, it's not up to us, it's simply doing business the way business is being done.  Getting stuff for free, knock-offs, etc.? That hurts people, I won't do it.Bottom line, I have not purchased yet, because for me the real issue was I did not want to either be encouraged to lie (which I would not do) or purchase it, thinking I had somehow been allowed to do it, and  then be out the cost because later on the software is uninstallable. To me that would be rather unfair on their part, but it's their product and their company, and as always, buyer beware 

The only way to know upfront would be to ask them. Alternatively, you could contact the PreSonus sales department directly and discuss your situation. You've laid out your reasoning in detail here, and you clearly have a moral compass, but we are not PreSonus; our opinions do not influence PreSonus' disposition to this scenario. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you a discount code to use in their online store if they agree with you

https://www.presonus.com/about/contact-us

3 minutes ago, antler said:

The only way to know upfront would be to ask them. Alternatively, you could contact the PreSonus sales department directly and discuss your situation. You've laid out your reasoning in detail here, and you clearly have a moral compass, but we are not PreSonus; our opinions do not influence PreSonus' disposition to this scenario. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you a discount code to use in their online store if they agree with you

https://www.presonus.com/about/contact-us

Thanks. I'm fine with either purchasing the best price online or waiting a bit, it's not my main DAW, but some of the newest features might make me use it more. A deal is great, but it's not really something I'll spend too much time or jumping through too many hoops, as I've paid whatever the best price has been at the time (I think I got my last upgrade to 4 from 3 for about $100, which I thought was fair).

Thanks. We'll see how it all shakes out, and in the meantime, nothing is carved in stone.