Studio One 5 Upgrade Educational LIcense

Dave Maffris

The price for professional upgrade from 4 to 5 is only $75, half the standard upgrade price, and way below the best price of $128 I've seen online. But anyone know what the requirements are. At B&H photo I could put it in my cart and check out, but at what point will the "educational institution" prevent one from installing and/or operating it?

Anyone know, I am too chicken to just hit the "Place Order" button....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some companies require that you provide hardcopy proof of being a student. Not sure if Presonus does. But...

{snark-on} ...if you're going to cheat, why not go all out and find a cracked version {snark-off}

j/k 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

The price for professional upgrade from 4 to 5 is only $75, half the standard upgrade price, and way below the best price of $128 I've seen online. But anyone know what the requirements are. At B&H photo I could put it in my cart and check out, but at what point will the "educational institution" prevent one from installing and/or operating it?

If you aren't a student. That would be pretty lame and selfish.

1 minute ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Wow. Just wow.  I'm an out of work musician in a hard-hit Coronovirus area. Didn't expect to be called a "cheat" and "selfish." Never stole anything in my life, and was just curious. A simple answer would have been fine.  Your opinions are yours, and you are entitled to them. But sheesh. Really? Not necessary to flame someone you don't even know. Been on this forum since the 90's. Maybe it's time to sign off. Thanks for nothing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Wow. Just wow.  I'm an out of work musician in a hard-hit Coronovirus area. Didn't expect to be called a "cheat" and "selfish." Never stole anything in my life, and was just curious. A simple answer would have been fine.  Your opinions are yours, and you are entitled to them. But sheesh. Really? Not necessary to flame someone you don't even know. Been on this forum since the 90's. Maybe it's time to sign off. Thanks for nothing. 

If you aren't a student. It IS being a cheat and selfish. Sorry, but that's the reality here. You're asking if it's OK to scam the system, what did you expect? A pat on the back?
If you're out of work and strapped for cash, maybe spending money on the latest and greatest isn't a smart priority. 

ETA: Notice I didn't even call you a 'cheat' or 'selfish' I said that committing fraud is both of those things.

Edited by RSMcGuitar

FYI, many also allow religious institutions to qualify for the Educational versions.  As a worship leader, I've taken advantage of this  for years with Finale and Fabfilter.

I have the normal version and upgraded to 5 myself but I have a teacher friend that will benefit from this and the xChange version 2 he recently aquired. 

Thanks @Dave Maffris!

I do not need a lecture from anyone about cheating, scamming, morality or anything else. Yes, I asked the question. Yes I considered doing it. Oh boy. I hope your glass house is protected well from any stones you may throw. Hey, you want to engage in an argument, that's fine, but this forum is supposed to be a civil and tolerant space. I've been here a long time, and I'll be damned if I'm going to take your attitude smiling. So go on, you can say whatever you want. You have no idea, and your opinions are yours. Just remember, not every thought needs to be expressed. I won't stoop to any retaliation, but leave it rest, and I'll do the same. 

2 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

FYI, many also allow religious institutions to qualify for the Educational versions.  As a worship leader, I've taken advantage of this  for years with Finale and Fabfilter.

I have the normal version and upgraded to 5 myself but I have a teacher friend that will benefit from this and the xChange version 2 he recently aquired. 

Thanks @Dave Maffris!

You are welcome, and it did occur to me that at least I let people know about the possibility of a discount if they qualify. Believe me, I can afford the regular upgrade price, despite my circumstances at the moment--they aren't that bad compared to others. So good for you, I hope you can spread this info to those folks that can take advantage of it. 

• Like 1

I started school back in the late 60's, finished in November 98, there was no way I was going to go to High School.

If I had continued on to High School I'd probably be on my final year now.

Would I qualify for the Educational License?

Edited by ensconced
  • Great Idea 1

Well, Presonus is likely making a profit, even from the ed licenses, or they simply wouldn't be able to afford to offer it.  I have purchased SO version 3, upgraded to 4, and each time I took advantage of a sale price, as it is not my primary DAW  I also use a Presonus Quantum interface, which I also purchased as B-Stock, like new, but for considerably less than full retail price. Sales and Educ. discounts are simply marketing tools that put product into more hands, and this is good for Presonus. Would they prefer I pay $149 for my upgrade? Of course. But if I do not buy it at all, until/unless I can get it at a lower cost/better perceived value, they are losing the sale. I've sold a lot of gear over the years, I'd rather sell it, then insist on top dollar and wind up getting nothing. Offering an ed discount brings in more business for Presonus, it's not a loss for them. I think they appreciate every sale. And it is definitely on them to implement the restrictions, require proof of educational institution or teaching license, etc. 

10 hours ago, artturner said:

@Dave Maffris As far as I know, Presonus accepts the "due diligence" of the retailer. Steinberg is the only really picky one I've run across. Educational also means teaching too, which is how I qualify. 

16 hours ago, Dave Maffris said:

Sod off the haters. No one's opinion should matter to you. Ever. You don't need them at all (Neither them nor their opinions). In other words you don't need, nor should seek validation from others.

Unless it's someone you love or your boss.

Look at it this way, if you would care about my opinion 😂: if you don't make ANY money with your music, where you used this DAW, you're a student.

Or like Reaper's scheme: if u won less than a million dollars a year, you just pay 60 bucks for it.

U wanna bet how many people paid the full Reapers price?

Also, anything that has severe bugs doesn't deserve full price. Ever.

I could write books about this so... I  will stop here: I support you clicking that button (but you shouldn't care I do).

Hugs!😊😋

Edited by Carlos

17 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

16 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

If you aren't a student. It IS being a cheat and selfish. Sorry, but that's the reality here. You're asking if it's OK to scam the system, what did you expect? A pat on the back?
If you're out of work and strapped for cash, maybe spending money on the latest and greatest isn't a smart priority. 

ETA: Notice I didn't even call you a 'cheat' or 'selfish' I said that committing fraud is both of those things.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Sod off the haters. No one's opinion should matter to you. Ever. You don't need them at all (Neither them nor their opinions). In other words you don't need, nor should seek validation from others.

Unless it's someone you love or your boss.

Look at it this way, if you would care about my opinion 😂: if you don't make ANY money with your music, where you used this DAW, you're a student.

Or like Reaper's scheme: if u won less than a million dollars a year, you just pay 60 bucks for it.

U wanna bet how many people paid the full Reapers price?

Also, anything that has severe bugs doesn't deserve full price. Ever.

I could write books about this so... I  will stop here: I support you clicking that button (but you shouldn't care I do).

Hugs!😊😋

Not worried about opinions, they are like...well, you know the rest...everyone has one. But not going to take it without firing back. I agree with you, and thanks for the comments. There was a lot I could have said, but wasn't worth the effort or time, I have music to make...

you may visit to see some recent work of mine--ps, I made the videos, too.  

• Like 1

Nice work. My videos don't look that nice. Mainly because I'm in some of them. 

I've been watching this and feeling guilty because I have pulled my institutional card to buy software already. It wasn't Presonus software. It was recording software though. I only did it once about 5 years ago. The fine print didn't expressly say I had to be educating in the institution so I looked at it like a benny at the time. Didn't really consider that it might have been expressly wanting me to be a music teacher.  I have led music at churches too but never considered that as a way to  gain a discount.  I looked at it similar to a teacher discount at Staples or a military discount if you were in the military. I simply made a copy of my card and sent it to them for the discount. I don't honestly even remember what software it was * seriously*.  There was never a question to me as to if I were directly educating students.

I would imagine that most educational institutions programs would use a multi user license because there are students. My institution uses Logic and Pro Tools. They might use others I'm not aware of.

Now that I've reflected on it I guess I personally seen their real intent was to snag music educators but I think they should make that more clear in their offers. My offer never mentioned  it.

Nowadays I just keep upgrading the programs I like and I pay those prices just like anyone else. It's only a few more bucks and I know I'm legit. If you wanted to do it though that's entirely up to you and I'm not going to fault you for it. I don't see it the same a pirating software or even close.

Edited by Starise

Not to belabor this topic even more, but let me share a story that may help somewhat. My music studio is a modified shed; I purchased the shed "shell" from a local retailer, a very nice lady near where I live in NC.  This is a local company, not a conglomerate, although they had a reputable product, and they are, I believe franchisees or independent contractors.  She gave me a "military discount," even though I told, when asked that  I was not a veteran. But she knew I was a serious customer, I was still spending a lot of money on one of their more costly products, so for her the discount was just sharp business. I never lied about anything to her. Should I have refused the discount, because it would be "fraudulent.?" C'mon! Though I draw the line at obtaining "cracked software" or music FOR FREE.  And I would NOT lie  and say I'm a teacher or student or make up anything,  if asked. In this case, I was at the checkout, and was not asked to verify anything. So really, tell me you wouldn't buy something at half price if given an opportunity?  Snagging a good price is smart, and if the vendor is willing to do it, then they sure as heck know how the game is played, and, they are still making money, in fact more money than not getting a customer to buy at   all, or to wait until later, when they go on sale, anyway. I promise you this update will be discounted at or close to the "educational" price down the road, and most likely Black Friday or way before there is a new version released.  If the company is serious about limiting the discounts, they can always require (as Apple Does) actual proof of their choice, up front-it's up to them, it's not up to us, it's simply doing business the way business is being done.  Getting stuff for free, knock-offs, etc.? That hurts people, I won't do it.Bottom line, I have not purchased yet, because for me the real issue was I did not want to either be encouraged to lie (which I would not do) or purchase it, thinking I had somehow been allowed to do it, and  then be out the cost because later on the software is uninstallable. To me that would be rather unfair on their part, but it's their product and their company, and as always, buyer beware 

• Like 2