Expression map workarounds in Cakewalk?

I love Cakewalk.  Used it back in Twelvetone days and rediscovered it after retiring.  Returning after 15 or so years to the much richer vst sample library world has been quite a treat.

I've now reached the level of work in orchestral libraries where articulations are used constantly.

I've researched and tried using drum maps as a means of selecting artics but it is kludgy and not straightforward to implement.

And I've watched with some envy vids of expression maps being used in Cubase and other daws.  Expression maps could be the feature that would pull me away from Cakewalk.

So I'm seeking suggestions from a Cakewalk user who has an effective process to control orchestral articulations that somewhat mimics expression maps.

As Thomas Jefferson asks in Hamilton "What'd I miss?"

Thanks 

Edited by Steve Harder
  • Like 2

Like you, I envy the other DAWs and wait for the developers of Bandlab to give us the gift of implementing an Expression Map like.
It is also one of the elements that could make me leave Cakewalk after decades of loyalty.
Especially since now Studio One also has a keyswitch manager, like Cubase (of course), FL Studio, Reaper, Logic ...

While waiting for the Bandlab team to reward us with such a tool, there is the drum map solution, which for my taste is quite constraining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMtr5u1KpM

Edited by lychee
  • Like 1

Make your own expression maps in de media browser of Cakewalk. Draw a single note on, example,  C0 for sustain (regarding your lyberies expression key's) Then drag that one note from your track view to the media browser and give it a name. So you can build your maps.

Later in your project if you need a key switch drag the appropriate file to your track and place it on the correct position.

Knipsel.PNG

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Blogo...

Tell us more please! You’re talking about running the Vienna Instruments Pro APP on a tablet, not the actual program?  Can you run it without having VIP installed on your PC or Mac? How does it work? Many thanks for more info...

No, Vienna’s app(actually not an app as you don’t even have to download it, you use your tablets browser ) works in conjunction with Vienna Instruments Pro.  Very easy setup as it’s literally built into VI Pro.   Shows all of the articulations and sliders (which are sizable for even more precision).  Embedded midi driver.  Works great! I linked more info above from VSL website.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, Steve Harder said:

And I've watched with some envy vids of expression maps being used in Cubase and other daws.  Expression maps could be the feature that would pull me away from Cakewalk.

There is Feature Request for Expression maps. Please support it. And all hope, that it would be developed.....

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/17232-feature-request-color-trigger-keyswitches-articulation-iss/