On the Beach (the english version)

David Sprouse

David,

Very pleasant and a nice touch with the ocean waves. Which orchestral library are you using? I ask because the strings esp violin sound so much better than what I've done. Also do you put in a lot of articulations on the instruments?

Hi Bjorn!  It's vsl chamber strings.  The vsl chamber library is really easy to work with.  I remixed and took out the ocean sounds, they really bugged me for some reason.   I'm using five articulations here  long, short, tremelo, and med. short.  and port.It's spaces reverb...The piano piece is more of a barcarole  feel but 3/8 instead of 6/8.  I took alot of liberties with it.  Thank you for taking the time to listen. 

Edited by David Sprouse

On 7/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I agree, maybe a bit more ambiance or perhaps some stereo widening, or not...

t

I ended up taking out the waves sounds.  I try to get more ambience  but I'm just not good enough at mixing yet.  This  piece isn't going to win any awards, but I really like the original so tackled it.  Now I'm going to have two sips of wine to see if the spirits comply.

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

David . . . hopefully you're sipping some fine Pinot Noir (not that cheap other stuff)  . . . it's a relaxing listen, introspective string piece. I tuned in late here, so I guess I never heard the ocean sounds you mention from an earlier mix . . . it sounds like you were trying to get more ambience or room to this mix, but I don't hear it here, and think it must be a very hard thing to do with just strings . . . ie. hard to know when too much ambience, or not enough  . . . perhaps there is not enough percussiveness in a legato string piece to actually hear it . . . add too much and it would be swimming and distant.  I think what you've done here sounds great on my speakers.

Could this also be a soundtrack to Bjorn's Dracula movie???  :)

I like your piece, it has a mellow yet dramatic vibe. I agree, for me I'd have some longer reverb tails and a bigger space on particularly the higher pitched elements. The lower register is nice as it is I'd say as far as a sense of space goes.

Good one!!!

cheers,

-Tom

8 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Could this also be a soundtrack to Bjorn's Dracula movie???  :)

I like your piece, it has a mellow yet dramatic vibe. I agree, for me I'd have some longer reverb tails and a bigger space on particularly the higher pitched elements. The lower register is nice as it is I'd say as far as a sense of space goes.

Good one!!!

cheers,

-Tom

Ha, tom i listened it with new ears today and your right...it's like addam's family at the beach. :D:D

On 7/18/2020 at 8:50 PM, noynekker said:

David . . . hopefully you're sipping some fine Pinot Noir (not that cheap other stuff)  . . . it's a relaxing listen, introspective string piece. I tuned in late here, so I guess I never heard the ocean sounds you mention from an earlier mix . . . it sounds like you were trying to get more ambience or room to this mix, but I don't hear it here, and think it must be a very hard thing to do with just strings . . . ie. hard to know when too much ambience, or not enough  . . . perhaps there is not enough percussiveness in a legato string piece to actually hear it . . . add too much and it would be swimming and distant.  I think what you've done here sounds great on my speakers.

Noynekker, thanks for the objective listen.  I think I need to redo parts of the beginning, but there are some goodies towards the end of the recording for sure.  What did you think of the ending?  It's kind of strange.

Hi David . . . I gave it another couple of listens with the ending in mind, and it seems to me near the end where it builds and gets higher pitched, there's an opportunity in the recording to get a fuller sound (ie. more low end frequency - give us some more lower cellos ?)  The very end part sounds like it's intended to be a very quiet fade, I don't find it "strange" for that era. Overall, recording wise, if you could add some more extreme dynamics through the piece it would add a lot for the listening experience.

So, you've taken a a guitar version of a romantic piano piece, and transcribed it for strings . . . quite the project. Much admiration for that, and I always like what you contribute here.

9 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi David . . . I gave it another couple of listens with the ending in mind, and it seems to me near the end where it builds and gets higher pitched, there's an opportunity in the recording to get a fuller sound (ie. more low end frequency - give us some more lower cellos ?)  The very end part sounds like it's intended to be a very quiet fade, I don't find it "strange" for that era. Overall, recording wise, if you could add some more extreme dynamics through the piece it would add a lot for the listening experience.

So, you've taken a a guitar version of a romantic piano piece, and transcribed it for strings . . . quite the project. Much admiration for that, and I always like what you contribute here.

I took all this to heart.  It was firing on all cylinders for too long so I got creative with the dynamics of the counterpoint.  It does make it better.  I think you mean the long tutti line at the end needs more bass, totally agree.   Thank you so much for your advice.

I agree with Tom above.  This song has a nice balance of mellow and full dramatic sounds working together.  I particularly like that strong bass sound panned left.  I must have been late to the listen because the ocean sounds were gone.

Nice one David!

On 7/23/2020 at 11:29 AM, freddy j said:

I agree with Tom above.  This song has a nice balance of mellow and full dramatic sounds working together.  I particularly like that strong bass sound panned left.  I must have been late to the listen because the ocean sounds were gone.

Nice one David!

Now I have one with ambient audio. Thanks for listening Freddy.

Wow David that sounds really good.  The string library you are using is really good. Nice arranging.  If you are going for realistic, it is a little wide - like I was sitting in the orchestra instead of in the audience in front of them. You can spread the reverb wide. Ocean stuff was a nice touch. I always make my stuff too wide, don't know why.

Max Arwood

On 7/31/2020 at 10:50 PM, Max Arwood said:

Wow David that sounds really good.  The string library you are using is really good. Nice arranging.  If you are going for realistic, it is a little wide - like I was sitting in the orchestra instead of in the audience in front of them. You can spread the reverb wide. Ocean stuff was a nice touch. I always make my stuff too wide, don't know why.

Max Arwood

Max,

I need to spend time monkeying with the balance on this.  As it is, it's just where the samples were.Itt does sound  too wide.   Thanks for the advice and close listen.