NI Community Drive

Magic Russ

NI has put together a donationware pack of samples and presets, available here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/2020/community-drive/

Content contributed by artists such as Sia, BT, Kimbra, Junkie XL, Richard Devine, and others.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

COMMUNITY DRIVE includes: 12 MASCHINE kits, 10 BATTERY kits, 14 Logic DMD kits, 14 Ableton kits, 11 MASSIVE presets, 27 MONARK presets, 10 PRISM presets, 10 SKANNER XT presets, 74 loops, 268 total samples.

Includes 104 drum samples: 6 claps, 6 cymbals, 14 hi hats, 33 kicks, 10 toms, 38 snares, and 8 percussion samples.

Installer size: 451 MB

Software

Loops and Samples work in any DAW

MASCHINE content requires the latest version of the MASCHINE software.

Additionally: Please update to the latest versions of BATTERY 4, MASSIVE, MONARK, REAKTOR PRISM and REAKTOR 6 or the REAKTOR 6 PLAYER

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Not sure how much use any of this will be to me but I am in and I made a donation.  I will install later. Hopefully one can be selective on the install, things like the Ableton kits will be of no use to me.

no. it just get added to Native Access and you install it from there.

7 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Not sure how much use any of this will be to me but I am in and I made a donation.  I will install later. Hopefully one can be selective on the install, things like the Ableton kits will be of no use to me.

FWIW, the Ableton kits are just rack code and take a whopping 1 MB of space.

• Thanks 1

I like the BT Prism and Monark presets, and most of the Battery kits are useable.

I don't like the way NI does their expansion kits, though.  All content goes to D:\Native Instruments\{Expansion Name}.  It works if you are using Komplete Kontrol or Maschine, but with Battery or Reaktor, you need to either copy the content to user directories or navigate to the content directory every time.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone using these with a slightly older version of Kontakt? I'm on 5.6.6, can't really upgrade unless I add native access to the mix which I cannot do. I don't want to download stuff that just isn't going to work.

6 hours ago, Tezza said:

Is anyone using these with a slightly older version of Kontakt? I'm on 5.6.6, can't really upgrade unless I add native access to the mix which I cannot do. I don't want to download stuff that just isn't going to work.

No Kontakt involved, but you will need Battery 4 and Reactor 6. It looks like Native Access is also required. 

Personally I like Native Access, it's the most straightforward and efficient of all the management systems I have. 

• Like 1

Yes, looks like I got mixed up with another thread, I've got Battery, Massive, Monark, but from Komplete Ultimate 10 so not sure, I have Reaktor 5 which won't work. I'm not sure I can upgrade to the latest versions either since I haven't and can't use Native Access. Probably a waste of time for me.

Native Access requires a strong internet connection direct to your DAW which I don't have, so it's the end of the line for me with NI products, not a problem though as there are many other VST manufacturers that fill the void.

6 hours ago, Tezza said:

Native Access requires a strong internet connection direct to your DAW which I don't have, so it's the end of the line for me with NI products, not a problem though as there are many other VST manufacturers that fill the void.

Uhhh... that's not really how it works. You don't need an internet connection to your DAW.

I'm assuming you mean your music computer is not online? In which case, yeah NI offers no real solution there.

But if you have even only a limited internet connection, it still works. For example, I have a bunch of NI installers backed up (because the downloads are large).

On the few occasions I needed to uninstall & reinstall a library (say to a new HDD or SSD), Native Access just picked it up afterwards. And on the (even more rare) occasions it didn't, it asked me to point it to the library on my HDD.

1 hour ago, Cristian said:

Uhhh... that's not really how it works. You don't need an internet connection to your DAW.

I'm assuming you mean your music computer is not online? In which case, yeah NI offers no real solution there.

But if you have even only a limited internet connection, it still works. For example, I have a bunch of NI installers backed up (because the downloads are large).

On the few occasions I needed to uninstall & reinstall a library (say to a new HDD or SSD), Native Access just picked it up afterwards. And on the (even more rare) occasions it didn't, it asked me to point it to the library on my HDD.

I don't understand what you are saying. Your saying in your first line that you don't need an internet connection to your DAW in order to run Native Access but in your second line you are saying that if the DAW is offline, then there is no solution.

My internet connection can take an hour or so, with frequent dropouts in order to download 700mb to 1gig. I tried updating my K10U to K12U by buying the hard drive, however, even when you buy the hard drive there is over 100gig that must still be downloaded and the only way to do that is by having a direct internet connection to your DAW. You can't download it somewhere else and then transfer it.  Native Access wouldn't work because when my net dropped out while it was connected it stuffed up everything, I can't download large files on my system. What followed was a massive argument between myself, the shop I bought it from and NI that went on for about 4 months. Everything was tried, but I knew it would never work. They refused to refund K12U. My argument was "The reason I bought the hard drive was to avoid having to download the large files from the net because of my bad internet connection, yet I still have to with K12U, while I didn't with K10U" Their argument was "The software is not refundable, your internet connection is not our concern and the product is advertised as requiring an internet connection to install". What is the point of the hard drive then? I got my money back eventually but had to do a complete reformat of my computer from scratch. I have the K10U hardrive and everything is on it, I just put it on offline then once the programs are loaded from the hard drive, it takes a few minutes to activate through the old service center no problems there.

Can you tell me how you are using native access without an internet connection to your DAW? It has to be on the DAW and it has to connect by the internet. Past K10U you cannot install anything from NI onto your DAW without having to constantly and consistently run Native Access (connected to the net). Even if you are loading from the hard drive, it needs to be connected to the net just to load the programs.

For me, putting everything on the bought hard drive, installing it offline and then connecting on net just to authorize worked well.  Leaving a third or more of the programs off the bought hard drive to be downloaded and having to run Native Access connected to the net while it all installs doesn't work at all.

Edited by Tezza

I too bought the k12 hard drive because of my poor internet and being unwilling to go to a wifi at the moment, and was really disappointed not everything was on it. Plus it had a problem and i just got a replacement but checked and the files are identical so still not all the products on it. Yeah disappointing. I had someone install my 2nd native access on their good internet computer then rar that download via google drive. Its still big, haven’t tried to get that from google yet but on ni forum was told a rar is ok after unzipping and just to point to it for the install. I don’t want a refund, i got all but 3 products i think in slow motion downloads or off the drive. But yeah, disappointed it wasn’t all on the drive. 

Edited by treesha
Should not have had select as product

I changed computers.  I did download the programs through NA (Kontakt, Massive, etc....) But then just moved my NI drive to my new computer.  You can point the way to the files. It takes longer because you have to do each one separately.  But you don't need to redownload it all. And?  you can have NA on a non-DAW computer, download it all onto that and then move it to your DAW computer and re-link.  It doesn't work for the programs but will work for libraries and packs.

I do have a fast internet but I regularly download onto my purchasing computer (I don't like to go on the internet on my DAW computer except when really necessary, so I download a lot onto my other computer.)

NI doing my head in .... again!

The problem is a simple one. If you have products in your NI account, you cannot download the programs in full, you can only install them from your account direct to the computer via Native Access. This means that the only way to get NI programs on to your DAW, is for your internet connection to be very strong (to download the large files) and to be connected direct to your DAW. Run Native Access on your DAW to download and install the programs. Not so much of a problem if you have a powerful internet connection.

If you don't have an internet connection to your DAW or a weak one, you won't be able to download and install the large files. You also cannot download the programs to a second computer (where there might be a strong internet connection) and then transfer them to the offline DAW because you cannot download the full programs from your account, you can only install them.

Native Instruments don't care about people with weak internet connections to their DAW, for example, country folk, they make enough money from their connected customers and they are not changing that policy. They also have changed the nature of the hard drive contents to defeat your ability to buy the hard drive of programs from them. You only get some of the programs on the hard drive and still have to download in excess of 100gig of other programs direct. In addition, Native Access must run, connected to the internet,  all the time that you are installing, even from their bought hard drive. So if the connection goes down during install then.....a confusing mess ensues. 

7 hours ago, treesha said:

I had someone install my 2nd native access on their good internet computer then rar that download via google drive. Its still big, haven’t tried to get that from google yet but on ni forum was told a rar is ok after unzipping and just to point to it for the install.

So your setting NA up on a second computer, that has good internet and installing the products on to that computer but somehow raring the download via Google Drive. I am interested, could you explain a little more on how you do this? thanks.

7 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

I changed computers.  I did download the programs through NA (Kontakt, Massive, etc....) But then just moved my NI drive to my new computer.  You can point the way to the files. It takes longer because you have to do each one separately.  But you don't need to redownload it all. And?  you can have NA on a non-DAW computer, download it all onto that and then move it to your DAW computer and re-link.  It doesn't work for the programs but will work for libraries and packs.

So you also installed NA on a second computer, downloaded and installed the products to that computer and then moved that entire drive to your other DAW. That is not going to install the programs to your DAW, it will only make the libraries available on the other hard drive. So then, I assume you are installing Native Access on your DAW, re-installing the program to your DAW and then just pointing the way to the libraries on your other hard drive so Native Access doesn't need to install the libraries from the internet and recognizes the ones you pointed it to, is that right?

It could get confusing, lets try a real world example. Right now I have some synths in my NI account, one is about 30gig. I can't put it on my DAW because of internet problems. So a possible work around might be:

1. Take laptop to Library (where there is good internet)
2. Install Native Access on laptop
3. Download and install synth and libraries
4. Return home and transfer libraries for synth to DAW (put on the internal SSD dedicated for samples)
5. Install Native Access on DAW
6. Install synth to DAW, but "point it" to the library on the internal disc so it doesn't need to download the libraries
7. Native Access should then just download and authorize the program but not the libraries which will only take a short time

Is this possible?

Yeah i’ m frustrated too. My replacement hard drive is making the same errors as the first. Great. One month later.. Contacted support again.

As for our bad internet and trying to get the products surprisingly not on the drives we purchased to avoid huge downloads.. My attempt will be .... to be online with my bad internet, using native access, and point it to the uzipped rar. This assumes i can even download it on my bad internet because it is still large even in rar form. Honestly i have spent much time babysitting the smaller downloads and trying to get the faulty drive issues sorted out I haven’t felt like trying to download the rar yet but i will soon. I can let u know how it goes if i get it. If i wasn’t in corona infested area i would go to wifi as i normally would for something too big for home internet. My music computer is a laptop. 

I understand what your going through. To install from the NI hard drive, it has to have native access running and connected to the internet all the time it is installing from the hard drive. Counter intuitive really, you would think that you can install from the hard drive offline but you can't. Native Access has to be running and connected to the internet. The internet only has to go down once and it can lose track of what it's doing creating a mess of what is installed and what isn't. Also, you have to watch it because it will suddenly start downloading a large file from the internet, despite you wanting it to download from the hard drive only and then it will also look for updates on the internet for any program that you load on to your computer from the hard drive, I don't think that behavior can be stopped either.

Bottom line, it probably works ok if you have the speed and bandwidth on your internet connection.  If you don't have a good internet connection, it's a nightmare.

Hi, yes, you need Native Access to install and update the VSTs. But you don't need it actually use and run them. Its similar to Arturia's software manager. It just connected to their servers with your account and installs and updates.  Re: NI, it does make sense to get the boxed USB drive edition. You would not want to download the entire Komplete catalog over a poor Internet connection or a capped Internet account.

BTW.. there are no Kontakt instruments in Community drive. I dont recall seeing any.

So I got curious enough to try to download the rar file from google drive where it was put for me, hoping I could download it, and it is hopeless. It is too big. So I guess I can't get those last 3 big files until I can take my laptop to a wifi at some unknown time in the future when the virus is not so bad here. So I'm done for now...