Request: Set Smart Tool Default

mdiemer

Let user choose what tool should be default. For example, I use staff view, and the select tool is what I use 90% of the time. I am constantly inserting bogus notes when I open staff view, because the tool is set automatically to draw. It would be nice if I could make select be the default.  much better workflow!

Thanks,

Michael

• Great Idea 1

I would love to be able to disable the smart tool and be able to select the default tool from the tool module.

I think it's better when you're first starting with CbB and audio production to select the in use tool.  By limiting the in use tool to one tool at a time a new users can pay more attention to which tool they are using and better learn the tasks each tool performs.

I think you can set up a workspace or a screenset to use a default smart tool.

essentially what you would do is set up your staff view with a screenset using your default tool, lock the screenset and then use the screenset to navigate through views.

18 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

I think you can set up a workspace or a screenset to use a default smart tool.

Even the guy making the suggestion isn't 100% sure which one it is.🤦‍♂️

Maybe I'll change my handle to "Workspace Screenset" because those are the scariest two words in all of Cakewalkery. Like "Keyser Sose" in The Usual Suspects. Well, maybe not as scary as "Drum Map."

Seriously, I would really like to get better at Workspaces, because I know how useful they can potentially be for me. But I think the last time I tried it exposed a bug, which was later fixed, and I haven't goten back to them since.

I finally sorted out the difference between the two; screensets are just saving whatever state your views are in when you saved it in the various slots (right?). Although you can copy those between two open projects. So I guess if you had your Tool set to the Edit tool, that would be part of a Screenset. But it seems like using screensets across multiple projects is a hassle.

Workspaces are more heavy duty, they let you streamline the interface and environment, optimize it for single screen workflow vs. dual monitor, specific tasks such as tracking vs. mixing, etc. They work across whatever project you choose to use them with.

Edited by Starship Krupa

More than just views. Huh. I was going by the Ref. Guide, but it seems like there's more to know.

I just took another crack at Workspaces, with....undesired results.

What I wanted to create was a Workspace for mixing on my laptop, so a single screen paradigm where the Multidock dominates the lower half of the screen with just enough Track view to see where I am in the piece. Only Control Bar modules that matter to mixing. No synth rack, no help.

So I set all that up, saved the Workspace, exited, called up a template, applied the workspace, and blooey, it looked nothing like my screen did when I saved it, my Browser and Inspector were suddenly expanded, Track View dominated the screen, and the Console was scrunched down at the bottom. It had exactly the opposite effect I wanted, which is to say that when I called my template up, everything was orderly and ready to start work, but after I applied my custom workspace, I would have had to undo a bunch of clutter to get it to look like I wanted.

For a thing that's supposed to provide convenience, it frankly takes less trouble to just make everything look like I want and save it as a template. At the moment, it strikes me as programming a robotic arm to move my desk chair to the exact spot that I want as opposed to just grabbing the back of the chair and moving it myself.

Maybe my expectations are off-base, but if so, what is this feature for?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I should have tried experimenting with the Toolbar state while I was at it.