Komplete Kontrol keyboard showing key colors?

Is it possible to have a Komplete Kontrol keyboard show the different colors in CW on the keys like it does using just the Komplete Kontrol player? It's frustrating to have the easy referenced switches on the keyboard in KK but not get them in Cakewalk. Still usable but those colors sure make it easy when you're on the fly recording a track. Assume if not that it's a feature request?

You can program the colors using the Controller Editor.exe program. Choose a key range in the editor, and then you can assign the color you want to each range. For example, I created a color scheme for AD2 that I find handy.

If you load Komplete Kontrol, you can also edit there, and might find it easier. Here's a screen shot of a setup I did.

fI6uPP1.png

The limitation is that you don't have the same level of integration as NKS-compatible instruments, where the colors change based on the instrument you load. However, you can create presets for different instruments, and call them up as needed.

I wrote a column for Sound on Sound about integrating Cakewalk with Komplete Kontrol keyboards, mostly using ACT. The compatibility isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. Unfortunately, before the article was published, the magazine decided that not enough of their readers used Cakewalk by BandLab to justify continuing the column. If there's enough interest, I'll post the article on craiganderton.org.

Edited by Craig Anderton

11 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

You can program the colors using the Controller Editor.exe program. Choose a key range in the editor, and then you can assign the color you want to each range. For example, I created a color scheme for AD2 that I find handy.

If you load Komplete Kontrol, you can also edit there, and might find it easier. Here's a screen shot of a setup I did.

fI6uPP1.png

The limitation is that you don't have the same level of integration as NKS-compatible instruments, where the colors change based on the instrument you load. However, you can create presets for different instruments, and call them up as needed.

I wrote a column for Sound on Sound about integrating Cakewalk with Komplete Kontrol keyboards, mostly using ACT. The compatibility isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. Unfortunately, before the article was published, the magazine decided that not enough of their readers used Cakewalk by BandLab to justify continuing the column. If there's enough interest, I'll post the article on craiganderton.org.

Thanks, Craig. I’ve been thinking about trading in a Novation Controller for a NI keyboard and would be interested because there seems to be mixed reviews on how well they integrate with CbB. 

Thanks for the info. TBH, this sounds like a PITA when the whole point of the KK keyboard is to have all this functionality already done by NI. I don't suppose Bandlab is going to pay attention to it though.

Edited by STEVEN CASEY

17 hours ago, STEVEN CASEY said:

Thanks for the info. TBH, this sounds like a PITA when the whole point of the KK keyboard is to have all this functionality already done by NI. I don't suppose Bandlab is going to pay attention to it though.

There are really two different elements to compatibility. One is integration with transport, mixer, and the like. This is something that needs to be done within the DAW. Currently Cakewalk doesn't do this. 

Having colors coordinate with plug-ins, as well as parameter editing, is a function of the plug-ins being NKS-compatible.  I highly doubt that Cakewalk will expend effort on making the Sonitus plug-ins and SI instruments NKS-compatible, but I've been surprised in the past.