How to connect my Juno DS to Cakewalk for MIDI

Hi all,

I have a Steinberg UR22 interface set up as my input and output interface. I want to play my Juno as a controller keyboard for MIDI but I'm struggling. Preferences for Midi input and output devices show the Steinberg. No sign of the Juno? I am using a MIDI cable from the keys to the interface, not a USB. Obviously missing something simple as usual, so how do I get my Juno to trigger the midi? It all works when I use the virtual instrument in Cakewalk , clearly I havent grasped this at all!

Hi Richard, in Preferences your Juno doesn't show up in the midi input and output devices because it is not connected directly to your computer via  a usb cable.  Midi devices is merely the midi ports Cakewalk sees connected to your computer. With your setup all you have to do is select the Steinberg input and output devices in Preferences,  and then on the midi track of whatever you are controlling click on the input icon to show the midi ports available. From the drop down list you can choose "omni" which receives midi from all ports, or you can choose the Steinberg port. The output port should be set to the soft synth you are controlling, or if you are controlling an external hardware synth set the output to the Steinberg midi port.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Hiya

Okay, getting there but not quite. Ive attached a screenshot. I've added a new track ( instrument) and set the input to Steinberg Midi Omni. It now records from the Juno as a Midi track so far so good, I can see the midi notes.

But I cant hear the resulting recorded track on my headphones. As to Output choices, Steinberg or New Drum Map are the only choices on the drop down for the output. So I chose Steinberg.

And there my feeble knowledge base runs out!! I've a feeling I'm nearly sorted though!

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Okay, getting there but not quite. Ive attached a screenshot. I've added a new track ( instrument) and set the input to Steinberg Midi Omni. It now records from the Juno as a Midi track so far so good, I can see the midi notes.

But I cant hear the resulting recorded track on my headphones. As to Output choices, Steinberg or New Drum Map are the only choices on the drop down for the output. So I chose Steinberg.

What you are showing is a MIDI track, not an Instrument Track. You aren't going to hear a MIDI track unless it is outputting to a soft synth. A good way to do this is to insert a soft-synth with its own MIDI track and then enter your notes on that MIDI track.  You can also use the MIDI track you already have by inserting a soft-synth and then using that synth as the output of the MIDI track.

Okay, its slowly sinking in. So, am I right in saying that my Juno is just used as a keyboard, a trigger, and that the output sounds must be from  a soft synth such as Cakewalk TTS-1 from the menu? In other words I cant ( as I thought or hoped) use my Juno sounds, I need to use the soft synth sounds? All new to me...

4 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Okay, its slowly sinking in. So, am I right in saying that my Juno is just used as a keyboard, a trigger, and that the output sounds must be from  a soft synth such as Cakewalk TTS-1 from the menu? In other words I cant ( as I thought or hoped) use my Juno sounds, I need to use the soft synth sounds? All new to me...

You can use your Juno sounds if you record them onto an audio track.  MIDI is just data, no audio. I'm not sure if you can record both audio and MIDI on two separate tracks at the same time but you can use the MIDI track to play your JUNO and record that audio.

Hi Richard, you can definitely use your Juno for sounds. All you have to do is connect a midi cable from the midi out of your Steinberg into the midi in of your Juno. You need to set the Juno to a midi channel and then on the midi track in Cakewalk set it to the same midi channel. Next you have to connect two (or one if you prefer mono) audio cables from your Juno's audio outputs to two (stereo) audio input channels on the Steinburg. With this setup you can play the Juno and record in midi. When you play back the recording it will trigger the Juno. If you want to commit your performance to audio just create an audio track, set it's input to the Steinberg's stereo outputs, if there are other tracks in your project then solo the midi track of your Juno performance, engage the audio track for recording press play (spacebar) and adjust the levels on your interface (between-12dB and -6dB  should be fine). Finally press R for record and watch the pretty audio waveform appear before your eyes! Good luck 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Connect the JUNO directly to the PC.  Period.  Record MIDI into Cakewalk via this and Cake will play the JUNO directly via this. Your MIDI track will receive MIDI directly from the port and it will play TO that port (just pull down the port/device in your track options tabs and select).  Cake will see the JUNO as a MIDI device, so check it as an active device in Settings so it's available.

There should be no reason at all to use it as a MIDI device through another intermediate device, in my opinion.

Setup a MIDI track in Cake, assign the input to your JUNO, and, when you "monitor" it and play the keyboard, your JUNO will play.  There is even a .ini file available with the JUNO patches! They will be selectable in the track menu system!  

When you record this way and then play back the track, your JUNO will play.  How you get that AUDIO saved into Cake will be up to you.  I have my keys going to a mixer whose line output goes to my main soundcard.

If you want to record the JUNO directly, you can set it up to be a digital audio input. That is, it will be the same as a "soundcard" (an "audio device").  Set it to "VENDOR" driver versus "GENERIC" in its setup menu system, and it will then appear as an audio device in your OS and in Cake.  You'd then record audio directly from it, but probably at the sacrifice of your other audio having to be assigned to the JUNO device (if ASIO, which can only use one device per application) instead of your routine sound device.  That can be a hassle.

I have all my outboard synths going to a mixer, and then have that mixer's output available to my "soundcard".  You can capture both the MIDI and the audio this way, and then replay/re-record as needed.  What's fun about midi tracks playing your synth is that you can do what I might term "reboard" (assigning a new sound to a MIDI track).

Edited by Jon White

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Hi all,

I have a Steinberg UR22 interface set up as my input and output interface. I want to play my Juno as a controller keyboard for MIDI but I'm struggling. Preferences for Midi input and output devices show the Steinberg. No sign of the Juno? I am using a MIDI cable from the keys to the interface, not a USB. Obviously missing something simple as usual, so how do I get my Juno to trigger the midi? It all works when I use the virtual instrument in Cakewalk , clearly I havent grasped this at all!

Hello, I am new to cakewalk, I have the roland juno ds 76, and I have been able to see that you have the junods instrument file, thanks to you I have downloaded it but I do not know how it is installed in cakewalk, what would be the procedure to install and run it inside cakewalk, if it's not too much of a hassle,
Would you be kind enough to tell me how it is installed? Thank you very much.

It say's this on the Roland information for the DS61 

" USB audio/MIDI and DAW Control mode" 

So it would seem you should download the driver for this and you can use the USB to record midi and possibly audio? You don't need to be using the 5 pin midi if it has USB midi.  

Most of us will record the midi output , then we can edit the data and then send this back via midi and record the audio output. But this synth might allow you to stay digital. Best to read as much in the manual as possible about the features. There seems to be a few videos too. 

18 hours ago, pacokeys said:

Hello, I am new to cakewalk, I have the roland juno ds 76, and I have been able to see that you have the junods instrument file, thanks to you I have downloaded it but I do not know how it is installed in cakewalk, what would be the procedure to install and run it inside cakewalk, if it's not too much of a hassle,
Would you be kind enough to tell me how it is installed? Thank you very much.

Check out page 1133 of the PDF reference file. It is pretty simple.

Friend I already put it is very easy, now I want the Korg Krome, I'm looking for it but I have not found it yet, I want to download the program that the cakewalk boys have to see if they have the instrument defense of the Korg Krome. thanks

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, SynthManDan said:

Is the Juno-DS class compliant?  I had the previous model (Juno-Di), and that model required a driver to be downloaded.  Did Roland change this with the DS line?

SMD

Windows 10 dl's drivers for Juno-DS automatically.