Do You Use Drum Maps?

Adam Grossman

• 11 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 3:59 PM, scook said:

In order to make an existing audio+MIDI track pair into an instrument track when the MIDI track has a drum map:

1. remove the drum map, typically by pointing the MIDI track to the synth
  2. make the instrument track
  3. open the MIDI tab for the instrument track in the Inspector (in the video below, I had to change focus from and back to the instrument track to repaint the inspector)
  4. re-add the drum map

aUFuxlX.gif

Hi Scook... I found this post from you through a search and I have the exact  problem of wanting to bounce a drum track that uses a Drum Map.

I've watched this short video several times but I'm not understanding something and have not been successful getting to the same end result you show.

My question: Is the goal here to create two linked tracks, or to modify one track? I can easily do the first step to temporarily remove the Drum Map, but if I stay in that track and use the pull-down menu to "Make an instrument Track", that option is grayed out.

So I made a new Instrument Track and put Cakewalk TTS as the output. That gives me two tracks, the MIDI Drums track with "Virtual Controller" as the Input and DM1 as the Output; and a second Instrument Track but I don't know what the Input should be since DM1 is not an option.

Would you please help me out with more detailed guidance on how this should work with the end result being a Drum Track that I can bounce to Audio?

TTS-1 is GM

Do you really need a drum map for it?

The instructions I posted were specifically for creating an instrument track from an audio+MIDI pair where the MIDI track used a drum map.

This has nothing to do with bouncing a synth.

The process of bouncing a synth is the same with or without a drum map. Select the instrument track or audio+MIDI track pair and bounce.

Scook... Thanks for the prompt response.

Maybe I'm having a different problem. I used the Drum Map in this project to alter the volumes of several drums. What happens is that as long as that drum track has Output= Cakewalk TTS it will play correctly and will bounce to a new track. However, once I change the Output to "DM1", the drum track plays okay, but when I try to bounce a set of tracks, the drum trach set to DM1 gets ignored in the mix. If I try to bounce just the Drums Track I get the error that says there is not Audio in the track.

So I reached the conclusion that the problem was setting the Output to DM1  and the Input as Virtual Controller, which works fine as a MIDI track but won't bounce.

Thought it might be an easy fix, but not worth the effort to make the Drum Map work like I hoped, since I really won't be using on other projects. I will simply use the regular drum track and not worry about the volume changes.

Appreciate your help though.