Back To Trying Recording Again-5+ Years Hiatus

MikePal

Apologies but it was a crash and burn all day-tried to learn this myself. I did have drums, strings coming out of the speakers. When I tried to follow the video, I was told I needed ASIO drivers. Downloaded them and made an attempt. No Joy. The M-track Audio device does not show and I cannot make any selections. I have rebooted several times.  I tried adding the .jpg extension. No Joy.

Here's the ruins-the first screen is what I get upon starting CW:

https://gyazo.com/ad2c39b5a10003b03182ec089313f8db

https://gyazo.com/2329d982362c6147fec2db122c1bf037

https://gyazo.com/28d2c1e970870193bf5a99314279f8c6

Its funny, but this where I ended up throwing in the towel years ago with this audio device and Cakewalk-just couldn't get it to record. I wish I knew what in God's name I am doing wrong.

Edited by MikePal

Hi Mike, don't give up. Several posts ago you had a screenshot showing you had ASIO drivers so I'm sure your interface will eventually work fine. From what I can see, scook is one of the more knowledgeable people on this forum so I would carefully follow his advice step by step and you should come out ok. Good luck!

Thanks Tonemangler-yes, You are all knowledgable and today I had drum sounds, bass and strings coming out of my speakers.  I actually thought I was going to make it.

Yet I followed the Cakewalk tutorial video on YT..and I commented that I did not have the guitar coming out of the speakers like I did with the drums.

I was then told I needed ASIO4ALL drivers. So? Downloaded and installed and the M-Audio device never showed again in Preferences. Rebooted several times and still can't get the M-Audio to show up in CW.

Right now, the frustration level is just way too high.

Of course, I have looked at Presonus, but after reading reviews  like "it doesn't work with my Mac/PC", who would spend money on a DAW package AND a MAC or PC when Cakewalk is free?  

Free plus it's reputation as a DAW is a no-brainer for me. 

Then I hear the music that people have recorded with CW and I'm like..God..I have over 10 years of lyrics, riffs and song ideas!

Yet the "brains" needed" to even record one note, to hear the guitar with plugins coming from my speakers is as elusive as looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Should have seen me when I got drum sounds today-now there would have a been a freaking comedy video to set music to:))

I have made other inquires and received "you need to purchase new gear", or "you need to purchase a MAC". 

I will admit, the thought of another PC (or MAC, but then that's another learning curve) dedicated to recording with studio monitors and a new Audio interface is looking as somewhat of a fix for all this frustration. Will not make that decision any time soon, at least not today.

The M-Audio is years old. The PC is Win10 64 bit w/ 16 GB of RAM. Speakers are the mini Bose system and they are probably the same age as Tesla was when he invented AC.

I think its just a certain method to install the drivers/ audio interface-that it has to be done in a certain order? Don't know.

I was originally thinking that my onboard sound card is the culprit-BUT, I learned here that my M-Track is the sound card and that the onboard sound card does not figure into the recording equation. The device disappearing on me after I installed the ASIO4All driver really threw me, as it is the exact stopping point I had years ago with this audio device. 

I'm going to drop back a few days and come down off this feeling, take the bike out, ride a bit, get some wind therapy in and come at this again. 

Would appreciate any comments as to a new, more up to date audio device and if y'all have the time would like to know what your using with CW.

Thank you all.

Uninstall ASIO4ALL, via "Control Panel->Programs and Features" and you should be back to where you were (or very close).

It's dump wrapper layer that emulates ASIO drivers but in many cases it fails miserably or at least causes problems (as you've witnessed).

Hi Mike, I understand your frustration, technology can be very overwhelming at times! I'm not sure where you got the advice to install ASIOALL driver but that was not what was needed. Like Bapu says uninstall them and use the ASIO drivers of the M-Audio.  I'm not sure if you already downloaded the drivers for the M-Audio M-Track Plus, but if not you can download and install them from here: https://m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/m-track-1.0.6   These drivers are for the M-Audio M-Track Plus from 2013 (not MKII) and should work fine with CbB (Cakewalk by BandLab). Once you get the M-Audio recognized by CbB select them as your input/output audio devices and select ASIO as the driver, just as you did previously. You should be fine from there. I would recommend you follow advice from this forum, the experts for CbB live here. Once you are up and running again come back and we will try to get you sorted out with hearing drums, guitar, voice and everything.  It's important that you get the years of your artistic creativeness recorded!! Good luck 🙂

On 7/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, MikePal said:

So now I am back-with the same M-Audio interface with an updated 64bit driver for use in my Win 10 PC with 16 GB ram 

The M-Audio interface, is your "sound card." Just plug it into a USB port on the computer you're owning now. No need to reach for your pockets to buy an extra unnecessary Pc/Mac at all! Just download Cakewalk - it's literally all you need. 

Ps: Windows 10 should pick up your drivers by itself. If not - update your windows drivers and cumulative updates. I'm stressing on "dotNet3.5." This version of Net frames seem to be a highly important to most hardware and plugins. Think of it as a "Jbridge."  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

ASIO drivers uninstalled. 

Re-installed the M-Audio drivers and rebooted-Went to start Cakewalk by Band Lab-Blue screened with a Stop 2xb, then a 03xb and and then a hexidecimal string series of error messages.

Full system recovered by image backup.

At this time I have re-thought my interest in Cakewalk By Band Lab. My working hours are spent performing cyber security tasks for my regular job.

This was meant to be a welcome diversion from finding all my lyrics and song notebooks-not an exercise in frustration and futility.

You are all very lucky to have this program working IMHO.

A fortunate meeting at Starbuck's after the blue screen debacle caused me to meet several younger people who use other DAW's and another OS.

They have graciously agreed to help me come up to speed in the time period I have and requested.

To all who posted, a most gracious thank you from my heart for your time.

Best regards & respect. I wish you all safety & health during these difficult times.

Keep Rockin'

Mike

A hats off to every great spirit here who helped Mike.  I admit here and now that I wanted to say "Mike, you have to do your learning and whatnot on your best level first", but I'm a bit changed now due to seeing the great souls here and their patience.

You'll get there, Mike.  Cakewalk will be a very intuitive, flowing interface for you once you get the audio stuff right.

Edited by Jon White
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MikePal said:

ASIO drivers uninstalled. 

Re-installed the M-Audio drivers and rebooted-Went to start Cakewalk by Band Lab-Blue screened with a Stop 2xb, then a 03xb and and then a hexidecimal string series of error messages.

Full system recovered by image backup.

At this time I have re-thought my interest in Cakewalk By Band Lab. My working hours are spent performing cyber security tasks for my regular job.

This was meant to be a welcome diversion from finding all my lyrics and song notebooks-not an exercise in frustration and futility.

You are all very lucky to have this program working IMHO.

A fortunate meeting at Starbuck's after the blue screen debacle caused me to meet several younger people who use other DAW's and another OS.

They have graciously agreed to help me come up to speed in the time period I have and requested.

To all who posted, a most gracious thank you from my heart for your time.

Best regards & respect. I wish you all safety & health during these difficult times.

Keep Rockin'

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get CbB to work on your system. I was thinking that maybe after you installed the new drivers if you had uninstalled CbB and then reinstalled it maybe things would have worked out. I think maybe when you launched CbB and your system crashed it was because Cakewalk was looking for different drivers? Or may it was corrupted for some reason?  Anyways, for what you want to do any DAW would be good, I hope you're able to make music soon. Good luck!

That interface is even older than my M Audio Fast track pro. On the M Audio web site they clearly state that the driver may or may not work with W 10. For me the interface works fine on one PC but will not install on another.  You need an up to date audio interface no matter which DAW you choose. Look on Sweetwater for starters if your in the States.. 

And back in the Windows XP days the M audio interfaces had the worst drivers ( so did Tascam). So for the very beginning the OP has been fighting the bad driver issue. Things have changed and USB audio interfaces all seem to work fine as long as they are newer and have proper W10 ASIO drivers. Old model drivers are sometimes updated but not recommended if you want solid stability and good performance.  

Edited by John Vere