Back To Trying Recording Again-5+ Years Hiatus

MikePal

Over 5 years ago, I was a part time teacher and tasked with bringing the art (Exasperation) of recording music to students. We started off with a single Windows computer and an M-Audio M-Track Plus audio interface. The unit came with Steinburg, Cubase and a host of other software. After one week of installing the software with the various subscriptions to various websites and feeds, we plugged the unit in-AND NOTHING. Back and forth with all companies involved until the time we started getting no response from anyone.

Zero Responses!! We cancelled the program. 

I remember Cakewalk being the very first DAW I was exposed to. Military service and life kind of took front seat.

So now I am back-with the same M-Audio interface with an updated 64bit driver for use in my Win 10 PC with 16 GB ram and an onboard sound card.

Was looking at other DAW's, one has a subscription service, another forum told me I don't need to upgrade to a PCI sound card, that the audio device handles the I/O's and the DAW does the work. Another suggested purchasing a MAC (would be on credit if purchased) with an Audio interface bundle (mic, software etc.)

If anyone senses frustration, please multiply it by 1000%, as I have been dreaming of putting over 5 notebooks, over a period of years, filled with lyrics and guitar chords to record and mix down to MP3 format for use on the web. 

What do I need to do to plug my guitar into an audio device, bring up the DAW application, chose a drum sequence, a bass line, and a utilize a built-in guitar VST amp model and then record these one at a time?

Do I need to purchase a sound card? A new PC/MAC? 

Thank you for your help, suggestions and assistance. I hope all are safe and healthy during this time period.

Well, if you have an M-Audio interface with updated drivers, why would you need to buy another one? That is a soundcard. You don't need the onboard soundcard for the DAW activities.

Unless I'm missing something, you only need to install Cakewalk by Bandlab and start making music.  You don't mention how powerfull your PC is, so it's impossible to say, if you need a new one. 16  Gb of RAM indicates you probably have enough horsepowers.

Of course you'll need to look for some VSTs according to your needs etc. but that's another story. And also, a MIDI control keyboard is a very, very useful purchase.
With that y creating drum  or string sequencies is much easier than with a mouse or something.

Good luck with your "re-entry" !

To create great usable drums, keys and bass look at ToonTrack.com

EZDrummer

EZKeys

EZBass

Also, a guitar preamp might help improve the guitar signal in front of the M-Audio interface, unless that unit actually has an instrument input.

Downloaded Cakewalk.

Installed 64 bit M-Audio drivers

Plugged USB cable into M-Audio>then into PC

Started BandLab>then Cakewalk opened and completed installation.

Followed Cakewalk video: Go to Edit>Preferences

I do not have a Preferences section to click on. Fraking lost right from the get go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the web site:

Click Edit > Preferences (DOES NOT SHOW in CW)

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Playback and Recording  (DOES NOT SHOW in CW)

From the "Driver Mode" dropdown select ASIO and then click Apply  (DOES NOT SHOW in CW)

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Devices  (DOES NOT SHOW)

Make sure your M-Audio M-Track card is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your M-Audio M-Track card. Click Apply.  (DOES NOT SHOW)

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Driver Settings  (DOES NOT SHOW)

Make sure one of your M-Audio M-Track drivers is selected as "Playback Timing Master". It is best to select the output that you have speakers or headphones connected to.

Click Apply and then OK

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the M-Audio M-Track device. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs

https://gyazo.com/0186cb8f9111458045183bf28659041d

2nd screen shot-Under Edit, there is no Preferences.

As you can see in the first screen shot, under input, the M-Audio does show, however there is no actionable way to select it. Clicking on it does nothing.

In my Sound preferences in Windows, the M-Audio device is selected. Right now, I'd be happy if I could get the damn tuner to register that the guitar is plugged in.

I guess its safe to say that the Cakewalk in the training video on You Tube is non-existent then? Every search leads me to Cakewalk by Band Lab.

Well thank you Sir for your posts. As I stated, I have already uninstalled band Lab.

Well, no - those videos do indeed show Cakewalk by Bandlab (not the Bandlab DAW that you downloaded). It most definitely does exist, and it's a proper full recording package, that those videos do a good job explaining about. You just got off on the wrong foot. Let's do it right.

First, go here: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Scroll down to the DOWNLOAD link. That will download an app called Bandlab Assistant.

If you haven't already got a Bandlab account, this is where you make one. Log in with your userame and password.

In Bandlab Assistant, go to the APPS tab.

Look for the Install button under the CAKEWALK by BANDLAB graphic. That will download the Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW. (At that point you can download the add-ons from the same place too if you like)

Install Cakewalk by Bandlab, and all of the tutorial videos and advice here on the forum, documentation, etc. will all line up with the app you're using.

14 minutes ago, MikePal said:

I guess its safe to say that the Cakewalk in the training video on You Tube is non-existent then? Every search leads me to Cakewalk by Band Lab.

Well thank you Sir for your posts. As I stated, I have already uninstalled band Lab.

This is an old video series about Sonar (before it became cakewalk by bandlab) that being said this series of 50 videos cover s a ton and the vast majority are basically teh same as current release (or at least provide a guide)

Very first video is audio interface setup

Well..never say die. Its installed. I listed screen shots. Still have no sound coming from speakers when I strum the guitar.

I think (well..that's dangerous) that my settings for the M-Audio device may be incorrect..just tired right now ..maybe not seeing it.

Its installed-though I don't have any idea why it took so many (3) times to do so.

Thank you so very much for at least getting me to this point. Lots of work to go..lots of things to learn..hope everyone is safe & healthy.

1st screen
https://gyazo.com/a5529bd4433cc12eb8bb492516cb8790

2nd screen

https://gyazo.com/7da7c32bd2fad41a30346634c84cbb9c

3rd Screen shot
https://gyazo.com/0db9fc49dc031905e11553e64183423d

4th
https://gyazo.com/4ebc2e44622df309974443a1f7f7df97

If this is the interface

m-track_plus_angle_web_hero_00_00.jpg

The knob on the bottom right called Monitor Mix adjusts the about of the direct signal with the audio from the DAW. This is part of what is called zero latency monitoring sending the signal directly from the interface input to the output.

In order to monitor through the DAW, instead of using the zero latency monitoring feature of the interface, make sure the input echo button on the track is enabled. This button is to the right of the track record button.

Was screen shot 3 was made before the driver mode was set to ASIO in screen shot 4? The ASIO section is missing in image 3.