Panning weirdness . . . what did I do ?

noynekker

In a project I had a mono vocal track . . . I cloned the track, and panned one hard left and the other one hard right, cool, fake stereo. Then I changed their start times slightly to get a doubling effect. Anyways . . . weeks later I went back and listened, didn't like it, so I muted the right track, and went with just the left track, moved back to it's original time stamp.

Only problem is . . . when I play this mono vocal track back panned center, it only plays back like still panned left. I have to pan it exactly 50% right for it to playback centered. I just don't get why this is happening ? The only other thing I remember doing was when I created the doubling effect, I also had them assigned to a separate vocal bus, then I changed it back to a Master bus.

Am I in serious contravention of the panning laws ? Maybe something got saved, but can't be reverted back to the reality of panning a mono track centered ?

Any suggestions, would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, richard greenidge said:

I make this problem now and then.  The audio  channel   playback, is not set to stereo, or my  recurring   mess-up  is I forget to set my actual    mixer to link or stereo, and only one channel then goews to my speakers..

Hi Richard . . . not sure I follow what you're saying. If I switch the track interleave to stereo, it still needs to play back panned 50% right to sound centered.

10 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

Switch to Offset to make sure you didn’t accidentally Offset the Pan. If you did just set it back to Center as well. Just a thought.

It's a great thought Blogospherianman . . . Offset mode was indeed on, who knows for how long, dang me . . . but turning it off didn't fix my mysterious panning issue.

9 hours ago, tonemangler said:

Sometimes when a track behaves strangely I insert a new audio track and then shift drag the audio to it. That usually cures the weirdness.

Thanks tonemangler . . . that's what I did just now, made a new track, moved the audio over . . . panning weirdness not included . . . the cursed tracks have been deleted . . . smack head, move on . . .

17 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

Did you try to actually adjust the Pan Offset back to center or just turn off Offset mode? Turning off Offset mode won’t get rid of the offset, just toggles between modes.

Well, I would never Pan something while in offset mode, I've only used it for adjusting the levels when everything gets too loud. The fact that it was left on is a problem . . . I believe it's a global effect, and doesn't save with the project ? . . . not really sure. Now I've noticed a few other tracks don't seem to Pan properly, so hopefully I can get the mix done without having to start again.

In response to your question, I did trying adjusting Pan controls in a lot of combinations, Offset On and Offset Off, but some tracks seem to have got Pan corrupted, can't really figure it out . . . they just don't operate normally.